SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

What’s the deal with parabens, and what’s your stance on wearing products that contain them? I didn’t notice them until a couple bloggers freaked out about them and mentioned links to cancer—I just now realized how many parabens are in my makeup; even my sunscreen has them! I feel like they’re probably just as bad as many other unpronounceable, less discussed ingredients, but how do you feel?
also, let me know what less-damaging makeup alternatives do you recommend!

posted over 3 years ago
saladtong
Style_council
saladtong

I was wondering the same thing. I think a couple years ago, I knew to avoid them because of their link to cancer. Recently I did some research before I went to get my latest moisturizer, and came upon this site: http://www.livestrong.com/article/325550-the-dirty-dozen-toxic-chemicals-in-skin-care/ There’s actually lots of harmful chemicals in the products we use…The article says that lifelong exposure to these chemicals would do harm. I try to avoid them but then there are still other chemicals to worry about. I think natural products are the way to go? The only brands I know are Origins and Burt’s Bee :)

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I’m curious just how much damage those chemicals will do though—I mean, our parents grew up in the 70’s and god knows no one knew about the dangers of chemicals then; they grew up in asbestos homes and breathed DDT. I’m sure there were parabens in our moms’ makeup back then, and although cancer rates may be increasing, I doubt wearing parabens will skim 10 years off your life.

I’m so bummed because most Urban Decay products are made with parabens. I just realized my Surreal Skin mineral makeup has TWO ingredients: methylparaben and propylbaraben lol.

posted over 3 years ago

saladtong
Style_council
saladtong

You have a point. The findings reported in articles say certain things, but it also probably depends on the people and how much of whatever chemical there is in the products they’re using… I mean, one of the “toxic” substances depended on the presence of this other chemical for it to actually have a adverse effect. I was wondering too though. But yeah, even though I try to avoid paraben-containing products, my recently-bought moisturizer has some in it. It’s just that there’s so much of it in everything.. I think I’m just going to switch up my facial products every once in a while?

posted over 3 years ago

hotlikemexico
Style_council
hotlikemexico

i know i hate that they put it in everything but some shampooos & makeup dont use them like mac & rimmel london too cause in uk its illegal. I hope they start taking parabens out cause its so dangeours

posted over 3 years ago

JillianOwens
Style_council
JillianOwens

Hello :)

While I am not certain that parabens ALONE will cause cancer, it can’t be helpful added to everything else we encounter that increases our chances. There is a lot of information available from an Arizona cancer center that discusses cancer prevention. Basically, in the 1800’s and older, cancer was around, but not like what we see today! The only thing that makes a bit of sense is what has changed since then. Chemicals. While I do not mean to encourage EVERY Chictopian to abandon everything they own, if you can avoid certain things when there are affordable alternatives, I would!

posted over 1 year ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

We talked about this in our Fashion Analysis class— we were learning about skin. We haven’t found any full proof on parabens, but I think it’s great to still be mindful on what you choose to wear on your skin. I switched cosmetics not mainly for parabens, but so I can avoid lead and strong fragrances too. Ever since my instructor handed out a packet for us, I have just started to learn how to make my own beauty supplies— they work just as well as the high end stuff (but with less chemicals). I’m sure there are also a market for non-parben cosmetics. But also be careful of some products’ marketing gimmick, that’s if you’re looking for alternatives.

You can always ask for service at the cosmetic department at Whole Foods, and they might suggest some things for you or offer you samples.

posted over 1 year ago

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

Yeah I’ve heard that the evidence of them causing cancer is actually not that strong. However, I guess it’s always better safe than sorry. I’ve been trying to do more home-based stuff instead, like coconut oil for moisturizer.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION