SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
discofabulous
Style_council
discofabulous

I recently started working out at a gym. I usually do leg presses and crunches with weights. Recently my lower back has started hurting. It’s becoming more and more painful. Does anyone know how I can treat this pain?

posted almost 2 years ago
robin77
Style_council
robin77

Are you working with a trainer? Make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. Also, it is better to start with low weight and higher number of “reps”, repetition of the lift – you want to tone your muscles (I am guessing here) and not “bulk up” with muscle. Also, alternate days you exercise muscle groups – don’t do leg presses and crunches two days in a row. Work on something else – “lat pulldowns”, arm curls, etc. See if that helps. It shouldn’t be getting more painful as you progress, something is wrong….

soapisgood
Style_council
soapisgood

You should always eat a lot of protein after your workouts and drink tons of water this will usually help lessen soreness. But for now, try not to strain your back and do any lifting, use a icy/hot patch, or stretch and massage that area.

AksharTroublesome
Style_council
AksharTroubl...

if you ask me, i’d go visit a doctor..
i too have a back pain, right in the middle of my spine. and a knee pain -i noticed it hurts worse when it’s cold. to calm down the pain im using a cream specially designed for this problem.
i dont work out, so we definitely have a different problem.

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

STOP doing the work outs. Not forever, but for a week or so. I would focus more on whole body exercise as it sounds like you’ve strained your back with the strength training. Crunches and sit ups are good for your back, but too much can cause strain. I would talk to a trainer there to see what you can do while you’re recovering. I would also talk with a doctor if it doesn’t get better in a week.

Geek_Le_Chic
Style_council
Geek_Le_Chic

It sounds like you have a strained lower back muscle or muscles (presumably in the lumbo-sacral region as this is the most common site of back injuries). The most common way to have this injury is if you used improper bending technique while handling the weights. Always bend you knees when lifting any weights—this centers all the force to your knees and away from your back.

As advised above, I would:

1. stop work outs for 2-3 weeks
2. Ibuprofen every 6-8 hours (as needed) for pain and inflammatory relief
3. icy/hot patch (the ice reduces the inflammation and the hot relaxes the muscle)
4. Future advice: 20 minutes of stretching before every workout — this will relax your muscles and mitigate any chances for future muscle strains

If you visit a doctor, he will mention all these steps to the point.

**DISCLAIMER: if you still have pain after 1 month, then I would be concerned that something more serious has occurred and a doctor visit is in order to have spinal X-rays done.

Hope you feel better and please keep us updated!!!

kristenseee
New_user kristenseee is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When kristenseee reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
kristenseee

Stretching. Yoga will help.

posted about 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION