SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
andrealynnxo
Style_council
andrealynnxo

Here in the United States, this is quite a controversial topic. Lately I’ve been seeing more and more documentaries on TV about medical marijuana dispensaries, legalization & decriminalization, etc. I would love to hear your opinions on the topic in a general sense. You don’t have to publicize if you are a user, but I would love to see different views, even globally.

posted about 2 years ago
Keiki
Style_council
Keiki

LEGALIZE!

posted about 2 years ago

andrealynnxo
Style_council
andrealynnxo

If you have the time I would love for you all to elaborate!

I personally believe in national decriminalization. Just like any other drug, including ones as simple as caffeine or alcohol, marijuana can be abused. Decriminalization in my opinion has the potential to limit the amount grown, purchased, or handled for PERSONAL use. You don’t see normal marijuana users committing crimes, let’s be honest: Anyone who has ever smoked, do you feel the need to go out and do ridiculous/unlawful things? No. I personally like to sit on my ass and relax. The only real problem I see related to weed is the competition between dealers and the drug cartel.
They say weed is the gateway drug, and if we were to decriminalize and/or legalize then it would open up the potential for the legalization of more hardcore drugs. I highly disagree. Marijuana is naturally grown and it has been for years. It includes no harsh chemicals and it’s long-term effects are no more harmful than tobacco. Also, I can’t recall a time I have ever wanted to get naked and eat someone’s face off like the incident in Miami (if you haven’t heard, google it) while high on weed. My munchies don’t go to that extremity :P Yes, it is mind-altering, but isn’t alcohol as well? Studies have shown for weed to actually be HELPFUL in ways of your health, and I can attest to this myself, with insomnia and anxiety. I would honestly rather smoke a blunt than take an un-natural sleep aid or any other prescription.
As far as legalization, I’m positive if we were to COMPLETELY legalize weed, the government would for sure abuse their power of taxing, just as they do for cigarettes and even alcohol.

I could write pages upon pages, but now that I’ve opened up I’d like to hear everyone else’s views :) Whether opposing or supporting.

posted about 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I’m from Seattle, where they just made it legal for medical purposes. All the dispensaries seemed to have popped up overnight! I think it works wonders for people who suffer from migraines and chronic pain, but you kinda have to enjoy the high that comes along with it. My mom freaks out, so even tho she has a prescription for her migraine disorder, she doesn’t use it because she hates the effects. As a property manager, I’m still a little wary about renting offices and retail space to dispensaries, because the federal government still classifies it as an illegal drug. We had one or two incidences of the feds coming in and shutting down dispensaries. It would be very disruptive to my other tenants who run other businesses. Sometimes I also worry that people who don’t have prescriptions will come cause problems. Those are just my worries in a professional sense. Other than that, we have very few problems with it here. I don’t believe it’s addictive, certainly not as addictive as other substances that are legal! I also think that many of the problems associated with it can be blamed on it being illegal. Legalize it, control it, and a lot of issues would go away. The obnoxious petitioners outside of Trader Joe’s would also go away!! LOL

posted about 2 years ago

Smash86
Style_council
Smash86

I personally think it would benefit so many people and businesses if it where legalized! And just like mentoned above, it can be abused like alcahol if you use it improperly. But honestly, it’s a wonderful natural plant with many uses :)

posted about 2 years ago

Off4thandGraham
Style_council
Off4thandGraham

I think it should be legalized at least for medical reasons, not just recreational because it does a lot more good then bad. I’m not going to lie I haven’t done a lot of research on the topic but I’ve seen a few documentaries and I know it helps with turrets and to me if they let drugs that side effects can be suicidal thoughts and actions, or may cause death not to mention the dangers of cigarettes they should legalize something that the worse case could be the munchies maybe a slight cough or an irritate throat I mean that’s not really bad…

posted about 2 years ago

cgmanansala
Style_council
cgmanansala

I believe it should be legalized, if alcohol is, then why not pot?

posted about 2 years ago

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I sort of go back and forth on this issue. Comparing the usage and effects to alcohol and tobacco are comparable but because marijuana has been seen as this underground, illegal drug, it will take a loooong time for people to disassociate drug cartels and dealers from this drug. And those two things are what scare people the most. Like you said, if you legalize it, people think it’s opening the floodgates for other more hard core drugs to make the scene.

But if you take away that association of being classified as a “drug”, you realize that it is a natural plant occurring in nature, its effects are more mild than tobacco and alcohol, and it has uses that are seen as medicinal.

Many people say that sugar causes “highs”, makes kids hyper, and we all know it will elevate the blood sugar of people, etc etc. Sugar cane is a plant occurring in nature with effects that can be seen as negative, but sugar is legal. So I think in the future, marijuana will be legalized in the US. It’s kind of difficult to disallow one plant and its uses and not another plant. If that makes sense.

posted about 2 years ago

andrealynnxo
Style_council
andrealynnxo

I completely agree.

posted about 2 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

in my country its about to be legalized as an attempt to "fight"harder drugs,im from uruguay

posted about 2 years ago

IssaBelleBoutique
Style_council
IssaBelleBou...

I think it depends on the person, some have anxiety from it, anyway i have noticed from the people I know that is quite addictive..and if you use it for a long time it gives you psychological damages so I rather stay at a glass or two of alcohol if I really need some inspiration. Although I think the best of it is that it gives you imagination ( of course it gives you because you are not 100 % lucid) but I personally have imagination without using drugs, thanks God. I also think that u can’t fight harder drugs using marijuana, if u want to fight against drugs you have to not use it at all. Smoking marijuana it’s just a step closer to trying other drugs. I am sure a lot of people hates me now, because mj is very popular, but I respect everybody and my life quote is “live and let live”, so I have nothing against it, it doesn’t even bother me if someone smokes it next to me, it’s just not my cup of tea.

posted about 2 years ago

lalipops
Style_council
lalipops

I think that if someone wants to smoke marijuana it’s up to him/her. even if it is illegal, that person would still do it because is very easy to buy it these days. the only issue would be if you get caught. so legalize it or not, who wants to do it will do it.

posted about 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I think we waste too much money and prison space bagging ‘criminals’ with possession of pot. that being said, if you want it you know where to get it, so it wouldn’t make too much of a difference if it was legal. though personally, I wouldn’t want my kid sister inhaling pot fumes all the time—god knows my entire hippie college town would reek of frat house 24/7 lol.

I think hardcore, psychoactive substances should never be legalized, though. I have a relative who literally destroyed his mind, his health, his future, his family relations, etc, by doing too much LSD in the 60’s. THC tends to give different people different reactions, and it’s really not healthy for anyone with mental illness in their family to become involved with drugs. I know a girl whose uncle has schizophrenia, and her cousin literally thought he was Jesus for a few months because he smoked too much pot.

posted about 2 years ago

lavinias
Style_council
lavinias

I really think it’s only harming your brain…

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION