SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
JoyceJowers
Style_council
JoyceJowers

I love salads, but seeing how unhealthy the salad has become, it seems that fatty dressing are reducing the actual nutritional content of salads, and I am not about to go and eat a naked salad. My sister who is visiting from Washington, has this really great substitution for salad dressing. Instead of some dressing, squeeze some lemon juice on it and a little bit of salt and pepper. It is amazingly good and citrus is really good for the body too! If you don’t like citrus, then this probably isn’t something you will like, but if you love citrus like me, this is a fabulous substitute for some Ranch or Ceasar dressing. If this appeals to you, give it a try, it might just be the perfect solution to salads.

posted almost 3 years ago
Nicole_Amina
New_user Nicole_Amina is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Nicole_Amina reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Nicole_Amina

I usually out a little olive oil and red wine vinegar on my salad. Not very good if your lips chap easily though.

VersatileMoTIF
Style_council
VersatileMoTIF

@Nicole_Amina….thats what I usually use. [well i alternate between that and a little bit of italian dress. just a little]….but I do want to try the lemon juice with salt and pepper. Thanks for sharing!!

eucalya
Style_council
eucalya

i usually use a little vinegar and sometimes pepper, but i’m gonna try lemon juice too, thanks!

Smash86
Style_council
Smash86

I’ve been doing this lately as well. Not only is it healthier, but putting a lot of dressing on your salad also makes it soggy and I like the veggies to stay crisp. I make my own dressing by combining lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder and a little salt/pepper. You can also add red pepper flakes for heat, or siracha ;)

If I where do pick a store bought dressing, it would have to be the new dressings kraft has put out (barbeque ranch made with molasass and healthy oils and other flavours.) great for dipping :)

punkintin85
Style_council
punkintin85

ah i wish I liked lettuce. this sounds like a very good dressing though.

sottolestelle
Style_council
sottolestelle

I usually dress my salads with oil/vinegar and salt and pepper. Another way I love is with lemon like the original poster said. Lemon with a bit of olive oil. It’s so good!

claudiakitten
Style_council
claudiakitten

I usally like adding either lemon juice or orange juice to my salads…it’s deliciously tangy,healthy ,cheap and easy to find in store:)

JoyceJowers
Style_council
JoyceJowers

Oooh, I am definitely going to have to try adding a little bit of olive oil! Thanks!

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I love using lemon or lime instead of dressing! It adds so much more flavor than a bottle of ranch could. I agree with adding olive oil. It’s delicious! Or you can just sprinkle on some nuts. Both will give you that little bit of fat that your hair and skin need to look their best!

If you’re ever craving a creamy dressing, try making your own! That way you can control the ingredients. I use fat free yogurt (goat is especially delicious) instead of mayo or sour cream. Then you can add vinegar, oil if you want, salt and pepper, and any herbs you like.

ThePageStaysBlank
Style_council
ThePageStays...

Making your own dressing is the way to go. I made some raspberry vinaigrette and it was so good. It didn’t have any of the preservatives, dyes, or corn syrup that come in bottled dressings. When I don’t feel like making something complicated I combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder and a salt/pepper to make great salad, like others have said. Smash86, I’m definitely going to add some red pepper flakes next time, though.

Hellotampon, you’re right, as long as you keep an eye on just what goes into a “salad”, a little bit of dressing is totally fine. (It makes me cringe a little bit when my roommate declares she’s going to eat healthy tonight, only to come home with a fast food salad, to which she adds even more dressing) But I really do like having salad without the ranch or blue cheese. Everything just tastes more crisp and fresh.

What do you guys like to put in your salad? Lately I’ve been adding some beans so I stay full longer and get a little more protein.

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

This is a great idea!!!

I like to squeeze lemon juice over cucumber, and this is pretty similar – I will definitely give it a try!

canyoupasstheglitter
Style_council
canyoupassth...

For salad dressing, i usually pick the nonfat versions. for substitue, I use olive oil or vingarette.

posted over 2 years ago

Style4TheCamera
Style_council
Style4TheCamera

I like dressings dang it! But I don’t eat salads too often anyway. :)

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION