SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MIchelleMcDaniel
Style_council
MIchelleMcDa...

Has anyone done or is one the Paleo Plan? I am really interested in starting it and am wondering if anyone has seen results?

posted over 2 years ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

in 2011 and 2012 surveys of the world report, the diet consistently placed last—experts “took issue with the diet on every measure”. maybe in theory it would be nice, but our modern equivalents of GMO foods pumped with pesticides, preservatives, and hormones are hardly paleolithic.

posted over 2 years ago

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

Yeah, if you could get organic meat, chicken, fish and vegetables it might make sense (back in the day everything was organic). Nowadays all the hormones and chemicals are unlikely to make you any healthier or lose weight in the long term.

The premise of cutting out sugars, processed/refined foods and starchy carbs is definitely a sound one, though. I would just try to focus on that instead of going all-out paleo.

posted over 2 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

From the sounds of it, it seems that the paleo diet is awesome in theory (considering from tightsandtea) but, in reality, it’ll be HARD to get everything organic and natural.

It’s unfortunate when about everything is pumped up with GMO, hormones, unnatural ingredients to preserve the food, so it’s better to really work with what we got. : (

Ex: Limit your fast food intake, exercise regularly, and like what BeyondLustre mentioned: limited sugar intake, etc. are good ideas to take from since going on a concentrated paleo diet is very difficult with the limited resources nowadays.

posted over 2 years ago

KrystaV
New_user KrystaV is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When KrystaV reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KrystaV

I’m not doing full-out paleo, but after having lots of health issues and a gross lack of energy I did read up a lot on nutrition (medical biologist by profession).

I’ve changed my eating habits and over the past 2 months of sticking with this, I’ve found myself having massive amounts of energy throughout the day, NOT craving sweets/snacks anymore and eventhough the scale still measures the same, I definately have a better form and dropped a dress-size in pants.

What I’m doing:

1. Glass of lukewarm water when getting out of bed
2. Green smoothie about half an hour later (mix of any kind of leafy greans and other veggies/fruits)
3. bowl of organic granola/quinoa with whole fat (yes, whole fat!) yoghurt and some fruit.
4. morning snack is usually carrots/cucumber/sweet peppers with some nuts
5. Lunch with a BIG salad made with 2 tbl spoons of grains, 2 tbl spoons of beans, lots of veggies and some fish or egg or goatcheese.
6. afternoon snack something fruity
7. Dinner, can be anything but half of my plate will always be veggies, the remainder will be a protein source and a small amount of wholegrain carbs.
8. Evening snack is usually an apple or a handfull of nuts or a small piece of extra dark (70% > chocolate).

No carbs or starch containing foods after 7pm (6pm would be ideal, but thats impossible due to family dinner), switched out all ‘white’ carbs for their wholegrain varieties. I’m trying to cut out all refined sugars/processed food, although it is difficult (as lord knows almost EVERYTHING has sugar added to it these days, and it’s not always called sugar on the packaging either). Key thing is to try and eat things as “natural” as they come, without processing.

I know I was hesitant at the start but I’ve been eating cream-butter, full fat yoghurt and all the rest for 2 months now and feel healthier and leaner then ever. The thing is, there’s a lot of important vitamins and nutrition in products like yoghurt and dairy and those are best absorbed by your body in their natural fatty environment.

As far as getting things as organically as possible, I do most of my grocery shopping at the weekly farmers market and have a bread machine to make my own bread. Lucky enough to have an organic supermarket close by that sells a lot of things too. But I don’t fret too much about it, I do shop at the normal supermarket too and just compared different brands to see which ones contained the least additives/sugar for the product I wanted.

Thing is, it isn’t a diet as such, I don’t limit my calorie intake, if anything, I think I might be getting more calories in then before, I know I certainly feels like i’m eating more when I see that whopping plate of salad each day :)

posted over 2 years ago

HannahWatson
New_user HannahWatson is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When HannahWatson reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
HannahWatson

I also do green smoothies in the morning, my problem is just consistency. Since I’m not the one buying groceries, I have little say in what I eat at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I’m trying to cut out snacking altogether. I’m trying to stick to something because I’m 5’2 and weigh 153 lbs. My weight keeps increasing.

posted over 2 years ago

Idhren
Style_council
Idhren

From Wikipedia:
“Centered on commonly available modern foods, the “contemporary” Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils."

This is pretty muh how I always eat. Don’t care so much about being “pure” or organic, rather the combination of foods I eat. And I do eat very little meat anyways. Oh well, I must admit I do eat some dairy products, I love cheese… :F

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION