SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
itshayliebrooke
Style_council
itshayliebrooke

Just curious to hear some personal opinions about OTC (over the counter) pain medication such as ibuprofen or asprin. I had read an article in U.S. Vogue a month or two ago about the danger of becoming dependent on them (no kidding), and personally, I can’t even remember the last time I have taken any. Seems to me like, as technology advances we become more dependent on buying things to fix our problems.

posted over 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I have to take them a few times a week, because I have chronic foot pain, but I don’t feel dependent on them. I worry more about the health problems they can cause, like ulcers. For instance, ibuprofen gives me a very bad burning feeling if I take it too early in the day. I used Aleve for a while, which works amazingly, but I’ve started to have allergic reactions to it, weird ones, too. I get very anxious and start having heart palpitations!

It’s only been in the past couple years that I’ve started using them. Sad that I have a reason to :(

posted over 2 years ago

allicinwonderland
Style_council
allicinwonde...

I get a lot of headaches, and have taken Ibuprofen at least once or twice a week for the last 10 years. I’ve never felt dependent on pain relievers, but I do try to avoid taking them now, because I worry about the damage they are causing my liver. Also, for a while I was taking aspirin exclusively, thinking that because it came from Willow tree bark it was the more natural and healthy choice, but I ended up with giant bruises all over my body, looking like somebody beat me up! Aspirin thins blood, so it makes me, when I already bruise so easily, turn completely black and blue.
I’ve found that good posture helps a lot, especially keeping my abs engaged literally all the time. Also, a coworker of mine just showed me a trick with peppermint oil to relieve headaches. She had be rub a drop of the essential oil (which can be bought in pretty much any grocery store) on my temples, under my nose, on my chin, in a line straight down behind my ears, and horizontally across the back of my neck. A lot of times, headaches are caused by constricted capillaries, and the menthol changes the blood flow in the blood vessels and eases the pain. Also, if it’s a sinus headache, the peppermint completely clears your nasal passages out. I also found that my other coworkers were really happy to have me around because I smelled like after-dinner mints, and it gave me a relaxed, giddy feeling. I haven’t tried this on a serious migraine yet, but I’m glad to have an alternative method to relieving at least some of my headaches.

posted about 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

there are worse things you can do to your body than take aspirin every once in a while. why suffer intense pain unnecessarily? If I didn’t take them for cramps, I’d be incapacitated the whole day.

posted about 2 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

Unless you’re taking them all of the time, and I literally mean all of the time, then your chances of becoming dependent on them are slim and so are the chances of them causing you problems.

I’m sorry, but if I have a headache, I’m not suffering. And, I live in the middle of the country, where I’m surrounded by corn fields and the closest store that sells herbal remedies is beyond walking distance, so I’m going to reach for the ibuprofen in my medicine cabinet.

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION