SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

There are always controversies brewing (first it was that McDonald’s commercial) and now the FDA is saying that ‘pink slime’ is good for kids! Um, what?

Before it’s cooked, beef served at U.S. schools usually look like pink goop (remember that yucky pink goop that went viral, supposedly served as ‘Chicken McNuggets’ at McDonald’s?).

The reason why it’s “pink” in the first place is because it has ammonia (kills off the bacteria and such), and it’s mixed with real beef. Supposedly, when companies do this, it saves a lottttt of money because you’re not eating 100% meat, instead you’re getting a mixture of meat and something else. Also, what’s even unappetizing is that companies are marketing this beef as “lean finely textured bee.” EH.

So far, no one’s really hurt by eating this…but who knows in the long run, right?

Do you think it’s safe to eat pink slimy beef?

Article Source

posted almost 3 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

It’s not just in fast food. It’s in almost any cheap, lean hamburger meat. It’s also in school lunches and prison food. The ammonia used to process the beef is also used in other processed foods. Here is a Hiffington Post Article about it. The most important thing to take about from this is STOP EATING PROCESSED FOODS.

I’ve done a little more research on the topic since this was posted. I found out that this “pink slime” has been around for 30+ years. It’s not dangerous, it just sounds gross. Plus, throwing it out would be sooo wasteful! Did you know we would need to raise an estimated 1.5 million more cows to replace the amount of meat we would throw away?! That’s a LOT of cattle! That is a lot more acreage needed to raise them, a lot more food to feed them, and a lot more methane gas released into the environment! Let’s stop being snotty, wasteful Americans and figure out a way to save this perfectly good meat product from going to waste.

People will get bored of the topic and forget about it. People freaked about hotdogs, but those are still on the market. Meat from Jack in the Box KILLED people (one kid from my church!), but they’re still doing just fine. This is just something new to panic about.

Here’s a very interesting piece they did about it on NPR

sahkz
Style_council
sahkz

no way!

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

The meat at my school wasn’t meat at all, it was soy.. They had disclaimers on the menus outside of the venues that let us know.
I’ve ate it unintentionally ate it before, yes.

I can totally understand why they use it, because it’s a cheaper alternative. But I don’t think it’s okay to feed it to kids, when they have no choice but to eat it. First Lady Michelle Obama is trying her hardest to fight obesity here yet we’re allowing our children to eat “pink slime”.

Smash86
Style_council
Smash86

That’s disgusting :(
And this is the reason why I rarely eat fast food :P I live across from Mcdonalds and I’ve only been there twice!

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

@Smash86

You’re so healthy! I’m glad. I live across a McDonald’s and some other fast food joints too, I’m glad that I don’t go there as often and also super glad that my parents raised me in a household where all we ate were steamed stuff, haha (also we couldn’t afford eating out back in the days)!

BleakandWet
Style_council
BleakandWet

Can fast food chains get any lower? It seems like every year something in their menu gets downgraded to something even worse.

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Just wanted to correct something that was said earlier: The meat that “pink slime” is found in is actually very lean meat. Just because it’s cheap and processed doesn’t mean it’s causing obesity in children. High-calorie diets and getting rid of recess is what is causing obesity in children.

posted over 2 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

Makes me happy my family eats grass-fed beef we get slaughtered ourselves….

posted over 2 years ago

mollyan
Style_council
mollyan

No

posted about 2 years ago

KeilaFromPR
Style_council
KeilaFromPR

no!

posted about 2 years ago

AksharTroublesome
Style_council
AksharTroubl...

it sounds gross, and im not sure what that is…i wonder if i even had it without knowing….out of my own free will, by the sounds of it, i wouldnt eat it….

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION