SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I almost always crave carbs or sweets. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid giving into those cravings?

posted over 1 year ago
ElloLove77
Style_council
ElloLove77

Click here! for a nifty little chart that tells you what you should eat when you get a craving. It shows you what your body really wants when you crave sweets.

posted over 1 year ago

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

I think you really just have to go cold turkey. I’ve been on a low-carb/no sugar diet for other reasons for a month and it’s amazing how I just really don’t want sugar or carbs anymore! If I accidentally bite into something sweet I just want to spit it out now.

posted over 1 year ago

discofabulous
Style_council
discofabulous

My co-worker is giving up sweets for a whole month because she’s trying to get rid of those cravings. It seems like it’s working. Cold turkey is the way!

posted over 1 year ago

lindajudour
Style_council
lindajudour

I have those cravings all the time also! Which is so bad because it led to weight gain. But I have stumbled upon this article explaining why we do crave sweets, and I can say for me it was pretty accurate.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/3-surprising-reasons-you-crave-sugar-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-food-1266023.html

posted over 1 year ago

redgem
Style_council
redgem

Usually I just distract myself. If I get my mind off of it, the cravings disappear – most of the time.

posted over 1 year ago

Chicyoyo
Style_council
Chicyoyo

If you can avoid eat sweets when the cravings hit, set a time that you can eat a bit of sweet to reward yourself. hope it helps

posted over 1 year ago

lauren922
Style_council
lauren922

Drink a big glass of water, if you’re still hungry eat something HEALTHY (preferably carbs/fiber) and if that still doesnt work try brushing your teeth. Some foods taste disgusting after you brush your teeth which will put you off

posted over 1 year ago

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

Funny, I just received an e-mail newsletter from my gym on how to avoid cravings. It’s pretty interesting. I’ll paste the content of it here:

Watch the Clock
Don’t go more than five hours without eating something. If it’s time for a snack, choose food low in calories and fat.

Eat Protein
Every meal should include some source of lean protein, such as skinless chicken or turkey, fish, eggs, or low-fat cheese. Foods containing protein help you stay full.

Wash Away Food Cravings
Dehydration can cause some people to crave salty foods. A glass of refreshing water can also help you feel full. In fact, what you think are food cravings may actually be thirst.

Find a Distraction
Find an activity that will take your mind off your craving without adding calories. Call a friend, go window shopping, make a virtual visit to your favorite stores online, tune into a game, listen to music, read or workout.

Brush Up
Floss your teeth and rinse your mouth with a little mouth wash. Once your mouth is feeling clean and fresh, you won’t want to spoil it with salty chips or sugary candy.

Spring into Action
Instead of heading for the freezer, head for the front door and go for a walk around the block. The fresh air and exercise will calm you down and clear your head.

‘Refine’ Your Palate
Eliminate refined foods from your diet. The more you eat, the more you want. Replace them with whole grains and fiber – eat more nuts, beans, legumes, fruits, vegetables, and whole-wheat foods.

posted over 1 year ago

thecassiepaige
Style_council
thecassiepaige

I started the whole “green smoothie” thing – at first I thought it was just a band wagon kinda thing but I’ve noticed that when I drink one everyday I don’t want sweets or junk food!

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION