SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
joyimani
Style_council
joyimani

i am a young teen and have been wondering if i should wait for the right time to start wearing makeup my mom suggested it and i am considering it….. HELP… really important to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!! luv yall

posted about 4 years ago
Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

If you don’t want to wear it, don’t. If you want to, I suggest starting slowly… don’t show up to school with a full face of makeup right away.

posted about 4 years ago

MargosDistrict
Style_council
MargosDistrict

I think it depends what u mean by young teen…Im 14 and just started to wear makeup this year….dont go overboard either….try to b natural

posted about 4 years ago

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

In my opinion, refining the way you dress should be the first step in polishing your look. Makeup should follow through after. For an extreme example, you wouldn’t wear heavy makeup with a sweatsuit, but you can wear no makeup and a glamorous dress.

posted about 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

If you’re not that interested in it, there is nothing making you start right now. I didn’t start wearing any makeup except lip gloss until college, seriously. (Except for prom night). It’s a good time to enjoy your natural beauty, and, as JUKILOVE said, refine your style without having to worry about too many things at once.

But if you are ready to get started, there’s nothing stopping you either. My advice is to start off slow— and less is more. Especially if you look young (you know what I’m talking about— for instance some 14-year-old girls look like they’re nine while some look like they’re 20), you don’t want to go overboard. It just looks tacky, sometimes even trashy. Keep in mind the situation, too. For school and everyday it’s best to stick to more natural looks, but a formal event is a good time to wear a more involved look.

Try to master one thing at a time. Maybe you start out with eyeshadow, and once you get the hang of it move on to adding eyeliner. Work slowly into things like mascara or lipstick (gloss is great, though!)— those really mature up your look and can make you look TOO old if you’re not careful. Be careful with foundation, too; most young teens do not need heavy foundation, so I would stick to spot-treating blemishes with concealer when you need it for now.

Before you wear a look out, practice it on yourself. Try wearing it around the house to see how your family or a close friend reacts; they can let you know if you’re wearing too much, or if you’re using a color that isn’t flattering on you.

But like I said, if you’re not interested in it, there is absolutely no reason you have to start now. I promise you, I turned out perfectly fine despite not starting until 18! :-P

posted about 4 years ago

Anastasia_Azuline
Style_council
Anastasia_Az...

If you really want to use some, start with mascara! But in a natural color like dark brown. Except if you’ve got dark black eyelashes, you can use black mascara. Just keep it natural! =D

posted about 4 years ago

Whisp
Style_council
Whisp

I think the best thing is to start slowly – I experimented with make up in my high school years, but didn’t really start wearing it regularly till recently, and I’m 21 !

Go with what your comfortable ! There’s nothing worse than seeing a pretty young girl with a face loaded full of make up. Too much make up can make you look really terrible ! Experiment and have fun, but don’t think you NEED to wear it. Eyeshadow is a great place to start – the colours can be really pretty, and it’s great fun creating looks ! Don’t worry too much about the foundation tho – i doubt you’d even need it :)

posted about 4 years ago

ljurbanchic
Style_council
ljurbanchic

im 14, a freshman in HS, and i started wearing makeup in 7th grade (it was pretty tacky tho-everyday i wore eyeshadow that matched the colors of my clothes. actually everything macthed-from my shoes to my eyeshadow XD. i didn’t know much then; luckily my fahsion & beauty sense has changed now, lol). But anywaze, then in 8th grade i ditched the whole matchy-matchy make-up thing, and this was when i really began to gain my own personal sense of style. along with this; i also tended toward black eyeliner (just top, not bottom) and lipgloss/lip balm and that was about as far as id go. even for prom! (thats right-just simple black eyeliner and a pretty reddish shade lip gloss. you can c my prom pic on my profile if u like). these days i only do eyeliner if i have time in the morning, and besides that my essientials are simply strawberry UO lip balm. I’ve always had naturally long culry eyelashes so i dont bother with mascara eiether. i guess my point of saying all this is to remember that you can always change your mind-no matter what age you are. At this point you may feel like experimenting with make up-i know i definetly did in 7th grade. but once your older you may decide to go au natural, or wear even more. Just chose whats right for your life, and dont let others influence your decision. I walk through hallways that are practically a sea of barbie dolls-yet i feel perfectly okay with my no-makeup look. just make sure that what ever you chose-that you feel beautiful :)

posted about 4 years ago

littlepleasure
Style_council
littlepleasure

i am 14 and i wear makeup. i started to use it in 7th grade , year ago, but it was very dumb,i used a lot of eyeshadow and powder.
now everyday i use my maybelline foundation (i need foundation because my skin is a bit purple-ish), some pink or brown blush , black liqoud eyeliner , collosal mascara. lip balm and maybe some dry eyeliner, also black. ;)

posted about 4 years ago

OliviaParker
Style_council
OliviaParker

Keep it natural. I look back on some younger pictures and I looked like a doll with bright red checks and swears of mascara. No, I’m not talking 5 ( I wish ) try closer to 13. What you think looks good now, might not look so great when you look back later on. Listen to what your mom says, ask her when she started wearing makeup. But really only you can decide when it feels right for you! Start slowly. A little bit for dinner or parties. and KEEP IT NATURAL! love x – s

posted about 4 years ago

New_user 41457 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41457 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I started young and it took me forever to start using it properly. I think you could start now if you really wanted to but it doesnt hurt to wait

posted about 4 years ago

Katy90
Style_council
Katy90

I started young too. Try to go for a natural look like nude lips with a coat of mascara. :)

posted about 4 years ago

imalyssamarie
Style_council
imalyssamarie

I think makeup is really unnecessary. For a teen, I don’t mind eyeliner, mascara, or lip gloss (with good taste) every once in a while, but everyday is unnecessary. That way, when you DO wear makeup, it’s a nice add/touch :)

&I think makeup for special occasions is nice too. I really recommend just being a natural beauty as a teen. When you’re older, your skin will thank you because wearing foundation throws off the natural Ph balance it has making you resort to more “cover-ups” when you reach the age that it’s actually practical to wear makeup. You want to be able to put just the littlest bit of foundation when you’re older and look RADIANT:) Just drink lots of water for now.

posted about 4 years ago

xxmidnightkisses
Style_council
xxmidnightki...

well, if you really wanna start wearing make up then go for it. start with basics such as lip gloss, mascara & a bit of eyeliner. nothing too overly done if you’re in your early teens. keep it natural :)

posted about 4 years ago

fayet
Style_council
fayet

Only wear it if it makes you more comfortable and confident if it doesn’t, then it is just a waste of money. And don’t go overboard either if you do decide to wear it. I use to wear so much and looking back at pictures I release how awful I look and now I wear very little I feel much more confident and most people say they prefer how I look without any at all.

posted about 4 years ago

goldenkagi
Style_council
goldenkagi

Like what most of the ladies here said, only wear make up if you want to! Talk to your mom about it, she may have tips and good advice for you. And test, swatch, try the products before you buy them. Make sure to throw out or give away products that you react or break out to. Saving and bad skin vs giving away a product that might better fit another girl? I’m a scrooge, but bad skin isn’t worth the savings :) Best of luck!

posted about 4 years ago

Neelam
Style_council
Neelam

yes i think you should wait, as a young teen you should be having fun and not wasting time on makeup. I mean I love makeup, but I didnt start wearing it until I was in my late teens. if you really want to wear it, go for light makeup. You want to enhance your youthful features. make the most of them. I wish I was a young teen again, when I didnt have to wear makeup.

posted about 4 years ago

Cecilology
Style_council
Cecilology

I started with concealer in 6th grade, and then a little blush in 7th. After that I really didn’t add much more until recently with the addition of clear mascara and a little matte brown eyeshadow in my crease. You should only wear what’s comfortable for you, and keep it light, you’re young.

posted about 4 years ago

Anastasia_Azuline
Style_council
Anastasia_Az...

Maybe use a lash curler? You don’t use make-up, you just give your lashes a little curl! =D

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION