SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
bigships
Style_council
bigships

when it comes to hair products, do you go for salon quality or do you think the goods from your local store works just as well. I, personally, like to mix it up.

posted over 4 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I have never bought a product from a salon. (Me = cheap, lol). Herbal Essences, Sunsilk, and Garnier Fructis have always worked for me!

And sometimes I do olive oil treatments on my hair, and that comes from the grocery store as well :-P

posted over 4 years ago

freespirit_fashion
Style_council
freespirit_f...

I only buy stuff from the grocery store or drugstore. I usually use VO5 shampoo and conditioner, which is 99 cents at my drugstore. Sometimes I’ll use a special treatment on my hair, but that either comes from the drugstore as well, or else I mix up a mask using ingredients from the grocery store.

So yeah, no salon products for me. I haven’t even had a professional haircut in over 3 years!

posted over 4 years ago

TobiasLuciaStarr
Style_council
TobiasLuciaS...

“I haven’t even had a professional haircut in over 3 years!”

Me either. I’m the only person who’s cut my hair since Sept. 2008…it will have been 2 years next month.

I tend to buy Tresemme, Pantene, Garnier Fructise, etc.

posted over 4 years ago

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

Bits and pieces from drugstores, salons, department stores and health food shops. Tools from Sally’s. As I have a sensitive scalp and contradictory hair (spans a few “types” – coloured, fine strands but a huuuge number of them, so my hair is thick but not coarse, can get oily quickly and silicones build up on it easily), I cast my net quite widely to find stuff that works for me.

posted over 4 years ago

squids
Style_council
squids

Salon stuff has basically the same ingredients as grocery store stuff, it’s just more expensive. I use Burts Bees shampoo/conditioner that I buy at Target. It is sulfate free (check pretty much any shampoo – it will contain sodium laureth sulfate or a variant of it. They also use sulfates in dishsoap) and much more gentle on my hair than anything, drugstore or salon, I’ve tried before.

posted over 4 years ago

keogan42
Style_council
keogan42

shampoo from the grocery, conditioner and products from salon/internet

posted over 4 years ago

PurpleHaze
Style_council
PurpleHaze

I’ve tried almost every product out there, and I find that salon products work better for me.

posted over 4 years ago

TobiasLuciaStarr
Style_council
TobiasLuciaS...

To the people who said they cut their own hair, here are tips.

Cutting Layers

posted over 4 years ago

fullogiggles
Style_council
fullogiggles

I buy my shampoos from drug stores and I see no problem with that. I think the well know brands such as Pantene and Tressme work well. I’m not sure if I would consider a generic unknown brand. Salon shampoos aren’t ruled out for me considering I haven’t found the perfect shampoo that makes my hair incredibly luxurious. If it happened to be a salon brand I would just search for it on Amazon.com or go to Costco or something like that. I see no point in paying more for the EXACT same thing if you don’t have to. I got a coupon in 17 magazine for 50% off Catwalk by tgi hair products, I think I will try it to see what it does But if it doesn’t work I will go back to Dove damage restoring shampoo and Aveeno moisturizing conditioner even though it is not the perfect combo for me yet. For anyone who has found the perfect shampoos for them consider your self extremely lucky.

Ashley

posted over 4 years ago

Rubyonfire
Style_council
Rubyonfire

Salon (or professional) only – and sulfate and paraben free only. As a hairdresser we’ve been taught that some not professional brands has high content of silicone which makes your hair feel great after using, but makes chemical treatments like perms, straightening or coloring really difficult or totally unsuccessful. I’ve not experience this myself but my trainers have.

I always believe that supermarket brands are normally made for a price war. Thus lower quantities of good ingredients more quantities of bad (like foaming agents, preservatives …etc) and cheaper ingredients to drive manufacturing costs down = competitive prices.

posted over 4 years ago

quarantinethepast
Style_council
quarantineth...

I always get the drugstore brand hair products (Garnier, Herbal Essences, etc.) cause I’m cheap. If I wasn’t totally broke all the time I might get some salon products though. :P At TJ Maxx I sometimes get conditioner or styling products that are more high-end (Chi, Bedhead, etc.) for like, less than half the price, but a lot of times all of the hair products are half gone cause people open them up. >:( And I often get the shampoo bars from Lush though, I love them!

posted over 4 years ago

alinaceusan
Style_icon
alinaceusan

OLIVE OIL & GLISS COLOR & SHINE REPAIR SPRAY = LOVELY, SMOOTH HAIR!!

posted about 4 years ago

amoebaeinwedges
Style_council
amoebaeinwedges

i prefer salon because they really works great.

posted about 4 years ago

MissSmile1423
Style_council
MissSmile1423

I buy from Walmart. Never from a salon.

posted about 4 years ago

UilRamone
Style_council
UilRamone

im using l’oreal elseve royal jelly shampoo, conditioner and night serum. so in love with that product. i bought those because i wanted to have penelope cruz’s hair (like in the ads) try that!!!

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION