SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

So, for a while I’ve been jokingly-considering going blonde, then half-considering, and now I’m actually considering it although everyone I know is telling me not to do it because it’ll look horrible, awful, whatever.

I tend to surround myself with people who are really blunt unfortunately, but I know they’re not always right (NO ONE supported me cutting seven inches off of my hair, but it looks a million times better than it did when it was long and gross).

They’re all telling me: darker (it’s summer, why would I go darker? I’ve dyed my hair darker before and it really washed me out…), red highlights/partial red (I’ve tried reddish colors before and they looked awful), and even partially unnatural colors (such as purple) which I would consider but I’m not sure if it’d be okay since I’m starting a new job.

So, asking for your opinions: would blonde look awful? If not, do you have any other suggestions? :)

Here’s my current hair:
http://i41.tinypic.com/9g8s4j.jpg

And I played around with photoshop and came out with this:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mwz4ig.jpg

posted over 5 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

It depends on your natural colour as to whether you should or not. I think a mid blonde would suit you (nothing too light though), but if that’s your natural colour in the picture or your natural colour is that shade or darker, you might not get a good result and dye or bleach might not take too well.

You should cut out a small bit of hair and dye/bleach that first to see how blonde your hair goes. If it doesn’t go any lighter than dark blonde then don’t attempt a whole head cause it might end up looking a bit ginger in some areas.

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Yeah, it’s the closest I’ve been to my natural color in a while, but it’s probably a little lighter/less red usually.

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

Go for it! I’ve had every hair color imaginable (except for crazy unnatural colors) and don’t regret any of them. It’s just hair, it will grow and you can always dye it again if you don’t like it.

posted over 5 years ago

yourmess
Style_council
yourmess

there’s a girl who looks similar to you at my school who went from brown to blond – same haircut too – and it looks great on her! you’re so cute – i’m sure you could pull it off :)

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Thanks everyone! I think I’m going to take the plunge… my hair’s in pretty good condition, I have a really good conditioner I could use in between bleaching/dyeing sessions and I can dye it back if I want to.

I’m preeetty sure I made my decision… I just don’t know what shade! Hm.

posted over 5 years ago

cherrybitch
Style_council
cherrybitch

Start with something a few shades darker than you’d like to go… Buy a hair dye at the grocery store that contains bleach, instead of straight-up bleach. Then see how you like the change in shade, and you can always take it a step lighter. I’d recommend waiting at least two weeks in between each bleaching session to only minimally damage the follicle. if you’re nervous, you could try finding a salon that’s not super expensive and getting them to do it for you. If you don’t like it and want to dye your hair back, don’t condition it inbetween- bleaching, or lighting your hair makes it more porous. Conditioning it inbetween redying it will just make it harder for you hair to reabsorb the dye. If you are going to buy dye that is similar to your current hair shade to redye it, buy a shade lighter than your current shade. Your hair will turn out wayyyy too dark otherwhise.

I’ve dyed my hair every natural color and pretty much every unnatural color. : P
If you have any questions, message me, I’d love to help

posted over 5 years ago

emmyb87
Style_council
emmyb87

Go for low lights this will let you go blonde gradually so its not a big change straight away this way you can keep adding blonde till you get the look try a honey blonde and bronze to complement your hair colour. You should have a consultation a few days before you want to dye your hair as they will do a test to make sure it won’t damage the hair or turn green and so the know it won’t react with any other chemicals on your hair

posted over 5 years ago

Bellalicious
Style_council
Bellalicious

cute cute cute blondie!

posted about 5 years ago

sarah_is_radd
Style_council
sarah_is_radd

I’m a natural blonde and I must be honest, it almost never looks good when someone with dark hair tries to go blonde. It’s so hard to make it look natural, not to mention that the peroxide and dyes you need to make it work can be really damaging to your hair. If your really determined, though, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY AND DYE IT AT HOME! Going blonde well is a challenge for even experienced hair dressers, so if you’re going to do it, invest in a trip to a good salon and ask for the most experienced person there. It will cost a lot more, but it will make up for it in quality.

posted about 5 years ago

PRETTYINSEQUINS
Style_council
PRETTYINSEQUINS

go for it! I think it is always fun changing your hair color

posted about 5 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

You have the perfect skin tone for blonde hair! It’s similar to my tones and I color mine a very light beige blonde (usually the lightest box you can find without using bleach). It looks really natural and is really flattering.

When I first started dyeing it, I was really nervous about “frying” it by going too blonde so I was using colors that were just a few shades lighter than my natural color. I was never happy with the results but by doing that I think I gradually stripped my hair of it’s color, which I think helped prevent the fried look!

I’m no professional though, so I would definitely go talk to one before doing it. I think I was also very lucky and have hair that just turns out very well with boxed kits. Stylist are always surprised when they hear I do it at home, but for your first time I would have it done at a salon and then do your roots at home. If you are going bleach blonde though, always have it done at a salon!!

posted about 5 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Also, to Sarah_is_radd, more often then not the “blondes” you see are usually not natural. Blonde hair is actually a recessive gene so most people color their hair. Also, considering you’re a natural blonde you probably don’t have much experience having to actually get it to that color, so maybe you are not the person to be telling people not to do it. It is actually easier then it seems and can look quite natural, even when it is just from an at-home kit. Bleaching can be tricky and dangerous, so I agree with you about having that done in a salon!

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 52542 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 52542 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Go to a stylist and they should tell you the correct blonde for your skin tone.
Its like picking out red lipstick.
Blonde is a hard color but if you get the right shade, you have nothing to worry about.

The picture you photoshopped looks lovely though!
I think you’d make a beautiful blonde, honestly.
:]

posted about 5 years ago

Tiny_Teapot
Style_council
Tiny_Teapot

I agree with most of the other posts; just go for it!
I’ve had most hair colours over time, natural and unnatural. I think the best way to find out if it suits you and if you’re comfortable with it is to just try it, you can always change it. Otherwise you’ll always be curious!

posted about 5 years ago

bbyyen
Style_council
bbyyen

Yeah go for it.. the first time you do it though get it done at the hair dressers like very one else said and from then on just do it yourself.. you shoulda done it this summer though the sun coulda helped it along a little my friend dyes hers blonde and it looked great this summer… sometimes friends need a little encouraging when it comes to big chnages like that… upkeep of dyed blonde hair is not fun though! thats the only thing

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION