SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
EmilyHendren
Style_council
EmilyHendren

I have heard that drinking a cup of coffee about an hour before running helps the body energize and perform during the run, but I’m not sure what to think. Is there any truth in this?

posted over 5 years ago
summerkay
Style_council
summerkay

Sometimes whenever I’m really tired, I take a run to get energized. I’ve never heard of drinking coffee before a run, nor would I. I don’t know though. I’d like to think adrenaline is better for your body than caffine?

posted over 5 years ago

jazzyhwang
Style_council
jazzyhwang

supposedly drinking black coffee kinda stilmulates your metabolism and helps you burn more calories or something. not sure if it works though. there are so many of those calorie-burning scams. i don’t even really know what’s real anymore :(

posted over 5 years ago

NicoleStar91
Style_council
NicoleStar91

BS.
If caffeine makes you lose any weight at all, it’s only in the short term, because it’s a diuretic, or because it keeps you full because it’s a hot liquid, in which case hot water would do just as good.

posted over 5 years ago

lifeinsideamusicbox
Style_council
lifeinsideam...

It won’t make you lose weight by itself, like if you just drink coffee but don’t do anything else differently – besides the potential diuretic/keeping full thing, sure, but those aren’t desirable. However, the caffeine will give you extra energy, and if you use that energy running or exercising, you’ll potentially do more than you would’ve and burn more calories, and thus lose more weight.

So it could be helpful, but that being said, since caffeine is a diuretic (so this would be for anything w/caffeine in it, like Red Bull, other energy drinks, etc.) it would dehydrate you, and that’s potentially dangerous when exercising as you’re already losing fluids.

Really I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s risky combination (and I know from experience, it’ll make you feel like crap)… but if you do use caffeine for energy when exercising, make sure to also drink a sports drink or something that will replace the electrolytes, as not to make yourself sick.

posted over 5 years ago

ltmsgggls
Style_council
ltmsgggls

the caffeine from coffee makes many ppl’s heart beat a lot faster, which might not be safe for aerobic exercises…

posted over 5 years ago

stopthemusical
Style_council
stopthemusical

This article from yesterday’s New York Times talks about caffeine use. I’m a runner and I have friends who make a point of drinking coffee or tea the morning of a race.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/health/nutrition/26best.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=caffeine&st=cse

posted over 5 years ago

puuki
Style_council
puuki

Speaking of sugar make sure it’s less than 15g and avoid aspartame.

posted over 5 years ago

yesiwillyes
Style_council
yesiwillyes

Why don’t you try green tea?

Caffeine can help energize you before a work out, so you may push yourself harder and make the workout more effective. The caffeine in coffee, however, tends to get you up really fast, and then you crash. Its the same with sugar. I would try a small cup of green tea with some honey. The caffeine in tea is absorbed more steadily, so you have a more even burst of energy for longer, and none of the crash. And honey will help add vitamins that you loose during your workout.

Don’t forget to drink water DURING your workout though. Caffeine is a diuretic, and will dehydrate you. So drinking plenty off water will not only prevent this, but it will also help you maintain your energy. You could even put honey and lemon in your water! (sometimes i have a hard time drinking JUST water and ill put a lot of lemon and a splash of real pomegranate/cranberry juice to make it easier)

Id try to stay away from sports drinks though. They are so artificial and though they may help rehydrate you, they have no, if not negative nutritional value. Not good.

posted over 5 years ago

ThursdaysChild
Style_council
ThursdaysChild

Actually a sports drink could help if you plan to drink coffee. Caffeine makes you lose water AND electrolytes… as does sweating (you especially lose electrolytes when you start sweating). So unless you plan to eat something salty as you’re drinking plenty of water during your post-coffee workout, you should consider a sports drink supplement. Losing water+electrolytes and replenishing only the water is not a good idea. Not saying you have to ONLY drink the sports drink— you can dilute it with water or switch it up with water if you’re concerned about the sugars.

posted over 5 years ago

ParisTarts
Style_council
ParisTarts

I actually dont drink coffee right before…maybe a hour before. But its really bad for you…takes water away from your body.

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION