SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
YlanaSteinbach
Style_council
YlanaSteinbach

I have moderate acne, and it gets really annoying!
Does anyone have any advice on acne?

posted about 5 years ago
msmichelle
Style_council
msmichelle

Don’t really have any medicinal advice, but I know that a healthy diet affects skin to an extent.

posted almost 5 years ago

Haunt5r
Style_council
Haunt5r

If you wear makeup, i reccomend a 3 step facial regimen.

Scrub
Toner
Face lotion

Or try Proactiv ! I use proactiv and it works wonders.
I heard neutrogenas Skin ID works well too!

posted over 4 years ago

KillaHilla
Style_council
KillaHilla

I’ve tried practically everything! Proactiv does work really well, at least for a while. Good luck =)

posted over 4 years ago

militantcupcake
Style_council
militantcupcake

Everybody’s skin responds to different things, for me, applying jojoba oil as my moisturizer at night has really balanced my skin and helped clear it up.

posted over 4 years ago

tenoria
Style_council
tenoria

I got hit hard with acne in puberty, and got used to dealing with it fast. A few general tips: 1) clean thoroughly, make sure you get all your makeup off! 2) hydrate and avoid irritation, even though you have acne, drying out your skin will only make inflammation (and thus redness and swelling) worse!

Most derms will recommend a gentle cleanser (use this after makeup remover if you wear makeup) like Cetaphil, a basic moisturizer (avoid fragrances that can irritate your skin and interact with topical treatment), and different topical treatments (see below). The gentle cleanser part is particularly important because you don’t want to irritate your skin any more, and also because the formulation of cleanser often destabilizes any active ingredients that “acne cleansers” claim to work anyway.

Over the counter active ingredients basically come in two forms: benzoyl peroxide (PanOxyl, ProActiv), or salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide is very strong and fast acting in killing bacteria, but can irritate skin, worsen scarring, and because it works by generating oxide radicals, can accelerate aging. Salicylic acid is an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory derived from willow bark, and is a small molecule that can penetrate the skin to get at the bacterial infection underlying acne. It is generally not as irritating as benzoyl peroxide, but also does not act as quickly.

Another option is to use Tea Tree Oil as a spot treatment, available from health food stores. This is an essential oil with antibiotic and antiseptic properties: very fast-acting, but it smells quite strong. Be very careful with TTO, dilute it your first time using or it will sting!

posted over 4 years ago

ohgemma
Style_council
ohgemma

I used to have really bad skin, but I started using Cetaphil and it has helped a lot. My skin is still not perfect so I was thinking about ProActiv…I’m not sure about it though, the “do not expose your skin to sunlight” warning kind of scares me, haha.

posted over 4 years ago

leuuh
Style_council
leuuh

If you’re using liquid foundation STOP! This is especially true if you start using cleansers with a lot of alcohol causing your skin to dry out. Instead opt for mineral based coverage, allowing your skin to breathe. For serious problem spots feel free to use some form of liquid coverup, but for those areas only.
Because everyones skin is different, what may work for others, wont always work for you so what it comes down to is simple trial and error of products. Read the bottles and find which one relates best to your skin type, and remember you don’t always need to buy the most expensive product on the market. If things don’t get better don’t be afraid to go to a dermatologist.

posted over 4 years ago

RosaNegra
Style_council
RosaNegra

I occassionaly get pimples around ‘that time of the month’. Following all the steps these ladies have given you will work. Make sure you also drink lots of water. If you are someone who wears foundation try out the brand ALMAY, they have a foundation specifically for controlling acne because it has Salicylic Acid which is a proving blemish controlling ingrediant. It is also Hypoallergenic, Non irritating, Non-comedogenic (which won’t clog your pores) and fragrance free. If you can’t get your hands on ALMAY, make sure you look for bottles which have those labels on it.

posted over 4 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

Whatever you do, DO NOT mix brands of skincare/acnecare items. That can cause more breakouts or worse, a full-blown rash.

Spot Treat acne with a Benzoyl Peroxide or Salycilic Acid Acne treatment product. Make sure you use an oil-free moisturizer and take off your makeup every night.

Powder foundation will cut down on the amount of oil on your skin, but if you want to use a liquid foundation, make sure it is oil-free.

posted over 4 years ago

alexb
Style_council
alexb

avoid touching your face and also every 3 days I change my pillow case.

posted over 4 years ago

maliamazing
Style_council
maliamazing

also try to keep your hair out of your face

posted over 4 years ago

vintagechanel
Style_council
vintagechanel

first of summer i started using a difffrent acne scrub morning and night
since my face is really dry i use neutrogena moustrizing acne scrub in the morning and neutrogena night scrub which has beads in it to scrub all your make up off.. ive noticed a huge diffrence in my acne and i also sleep with my hair up in a bun and some nights i take a shower but dont wash my hair :]
hope i helped

posted over 4 years ago

KnowItAllGrrrl
Style_council
KnowItAllGrrrl

www.acne.org has a wealth of knowledge from its forum members & is a great resource, and the site has a great acne-clearing skin program & products (especially if you cannot see a dermatologist & need something affordable). If you can see a dermatologist, then I recommend it though.

I’ve had moderate acne since I was 12 (26 now…) and the only thing that keeps me clear is retin-a and oral anti-biotics everyday. I use SUPER GENTLE facewash & moisturizer – no fragrance, no dye, no scrub, no "active"ingredients (ie. salicylic acid), nothing very fancy. It’s also a big myth not to use moisturizer – keeping skin hydrated is very important to keeping skin clear, even if you have oily skin (I have VERY oily skin). I simply use Cetaphil gentle facewash & moisturizer, which is recommended by every derm I’ve ever had.

As for acne products, I only use the retin-a on my skin – no other product is medicated so as not to irritate it. Often acne-prone skin is sensitive and is breaking out as a reaction, and many acne products are harsh. Don’t pile on the medicated products, but choose a simple routine & stick to it for a good 6-12 weeks. Focus on preventative treatment over spot treating (which only treats the acne that already has formed). Your face will not clear up immediately from a preventative routine, so you have to be patient to find a good longterm solution.

posted over 4 years ago

gibbaela
Style_council
gibbaela

I use proactive and even though its really commercial it actually works really well!

posted over 4 years ago

kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

i have really really bad acne. I’m using some neutrogena stuff right now which seems to be doing a little bit of something, but i’m not sure.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION