SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
queenrina
Style_council
queenrina

Hey everyone.. I’m new here and ready to admit my worst enemy.. cringe My posture.

It really brings me down in terms of style because I feel like it seriously limits me from looking my best.

I’ve been working on it but.. am looking for some advice! Anyone else who suffered/suffers bad posture and worked through it?

I used to do pilates a lot and that helped, but lately, I’m obsessed and I cannot seem to stop slouching. It really upsets me

Thank you! I feel embarrassed admitting it :x

posted almost 5 years ago
railophone
Style_council
railophone

Don’t be embarrassed to admit it!
I have terrible posture. D:
I’ve tried fixing it, but it’s way too comfortable for me to slouch.

I’d also love tips.

sarah_is_radd
Style_council
sarah_is_radd

You really have to work for nice posture. If you think about it, and really set your mind to sitting up and standing straight, then eventually it will become habitual and you’ll do it all the time. It may hurt a bit at first, but it makes you look better and it’s good for your spine.

annajyu
Style_council
annajyu

I have pretty good posture from years of ballet as a kid so that left a good impression on me. I have been taking yoga and ballet classes now and they definitely make me more aware of my body and what my posture should be like.

queenrina
Style_council
queenrina

I think that’s whats really stopping me- the fact that it is so painful to keep my back straight.. but in the end it really is worth it. I’ll try harder! I’ll have to take up singing again, they’re crazy about posture!

And I think I may need to take some yoga classes.. Pilates really helped so yoga may help even more.

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

I take pointe which helped a lot with my posture. My mom also used to tie me to a chair to sit straight… and I got scared so now I’m a bit obligated to have good posture, even though I like slouching to look… not so stiff? HAHA. :|

pammella
Style_council
pammella

awareness is the biggest factor…enlist those that spend time with you to assist by reminding you…maybe a code like “P” and you’ll be reminded to straighten up. Give time for your brain to re-learn posture…it will!

Averleigh
Style_council
Averleigh

I used to slouch until my mom showed me a picture of my grandmother from my dad’s side. She had a slight hunchback and my mom said I’d better sit up straight or I’ll have a hunchback too! Some of my friends joke and say I’m like a robot. I’m always sitting up straight.

_holic
Style_council
_holic

i like sitting with a curve in my back so i’m always in a wierd position that probably isn’t good for my posture, but when i’m walking i try to push my shoulders back and (barely there) chest out since i’ll feel taller which is a plus

Tashhh
Style_council
Tashhh

Oh, I used to have terrible posture. I look back at some photos and cringe (I even did ballet for a long time, but once I got off the dance floor my posture would go back to sucking). One big difference is I was extremely shy back then and didn’t want to be noticed, but once I started getting over that my posture got better. Also caring about my appearance a lot more helped. I find that when I started wearing heels, it’s easier to have good posture without thinking of it. Good posture makes it easier to walk and it looks so much more graceful.
Just sit or stand and focus on being straight, and eventually it’ll come like natural.

ThursdaysChild
Style_council
ThursdaysChild

hey, just a thumbs up for making an effort to improve your posture! It really takes effort if you’ve had bad posture for so many years and your muscles and brain have all adapted to hold a bad pose.

You need to work on building the correct muscles… it will hurt A LOT at first (as I guess you are experiencing), but take something like advil or aleve as needed (but be sure to follow the dosage instructions). The pain relievers will help you focus on your posture and not your pain.

Also if it is a big problem you may be able to ask your physician to give you a referral to a physical therapist (if that would be covered by insurance).

It will take weeks, maybe months, and depending on your state much of it may be painful because it’s such an intense workout on your weakened muscles, but it will be worth it in the end! good luck!

Everio
Style_council
Everio

hi, I’m Michael Everio. I did a research with my friends Chris Freville and Amber Sharman from university. It was on 10th April 2002. I will now look for it..

name_sake
Style_council
name_sake

i can always keep my back straight but pulling my shoulders back is the hard part!

im trying to retrain myself as well… i just try to at least always keep my back straight and then oull my shoulders back as much as i can (when i remember to!)

stand flat up against a wall, that is supposed to be what your body feels like when you have good posture! Also standing and sitting up straight is good fr your core muscles!

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I have the exact problem! When I sit down, I literally lean very far over the table and slouch, it’s very unladylike and bad for my back.
Lately when I walk, I put my hands together behind my back and hold my shoulders back. It’s been helping, I think.

zyxwvu
Style_council
zyxwvu

I don’t have a solution to the problem, i have bad posture as well.
But I remember learning in anthropology class that when whatever type of ape we’re decended from first started walking upright, they couldn’t do it for more than like a minute because it hurt too much because their backs were too curved. And even now our backs aren’t entirely adapted to walking upright, they’re still a little curved. Thus the pain when trying to sit too straight.

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

I don’t think you should be embarassed. Actually you should try to do something to change your posture.

posted over 1 year ago

LikeMagic
Style_council
LikeMagic

I think bad posture is something a lot of girls (and guys) have. My mom used to always tell me “shoulders back” because she wanted to fix my posture. I think it’s something you work on, and slowly it will become more natural.

posted about 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION