SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

We talk a lot about our make up and facial skin care on here, but most of our skin is below the neck! I’d love to hear how you ladies and gents take care of the rest of your skin.

Personally, my efforts in this area are seriously lacking. I rarely moisturize, but lord knows I need to start doing it more often! My skin is intensely dry, so badly that sometimes it hurts (that’s when I finally pull out the moisturizer). I love the lotions from Bath & Body Works, but they tend to be pretty heavily scented and I don’t want them to be competing with my perfume. I have found that basic stuff, like Cetaphil body lotion and even Suave Aloe with Cucumber lotion work pretty well for me.

I love to exfoliate my skin, usually once a week, and I switch up my body wash every time I buy a new bottle (right now I’m using Nivea Touch of Smooth).

What does your non-face skin care routine look like?

posted over 2 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

In the shower I wash my body with either a Dove unscented bar soap, a Bath and Body Works shower gel, or the vanilla birthday cake body wash from Sephora I got as a gift. (I kind of rotate between all three depending on my mood and how my skin is acting). On a typical day I just use a shower puff which exfoliates a little, but when I need more (I don’t have a regular routine, just “when I need it”) I make my own scrub from sugar and olive oil. It’s kind of messy in the shower but it’s easy, cheap, and it works.

My biggest skin problem is dryness, so moisturizing is a priority for me, but I stick to affordable basics since they do the job well. I usually just get a big pump bottle of Suave Advanced Therapy (though I’ve also tried their Wild Cherry Blossom and Powder Fresh scents to switch things up) and moisturize my entire body when I get out of the shower. Since I shower at night, during warm seasons when my arms/legs are exposed I also put on sunscreen in the morning, usually SPF 15 for a normal day but 30 or 50 if I’m going to be outside in direct sun for a long time.

posted over 2 years ago

lovemarta
Style_council
lovemarta

STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING! Don’t use Bath & Body Works lotions! Most of the lotion that you put on goes to your blood stream and those lotions are full of perfumes and some chemicals that you wont even be able to say. You eat healthy so your body is healthy, right? So would you eat those lotions? I don’t think so. Use lotions from Mother’s or Trader Joe’s, or my personal favorite Orgins (in most Macy’s stores). Sure its a dollar or two more but its better for you, its all natural fruit and oils. I get lazy on lotions too so I mainly put it on right after I get out of the shower (its the best time to put it on also).

posted over 2 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

I have really sensitive skin so I like to use baby lotion after my shower. Johnson & Johnson has a really nice vanilla and oatmeal one that I use. Also I like to use Dove soap but occasionally somebody will by me a body wash or soap from Lush or The Body Shop and I will use them depending on what body spray or scent I want to smell like that day.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

lovemarta: I didn’t know that! Thank you for sharing – I’d never thought of it like that.

I have been trying to be greener with my skin products and using natural, organic stuff with fewer chemicals.

Beccasauras: That’s a fantastic idea! I think I will have to try some baby lotion.

posted over 2 years ago

lovemarta
Style_council
lovemarta

I have never thought that way either but once my biology teacher thought me and that’s what I have in mind everytime I buy something that’g going to be applied on my skin.

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I have dry, sensitive skin—I even break out in hives when I shower (from the water alone) so if I don’t moisturize after I shower my skin will get suuper dry. but my nivea moisturizer works fine :)

posted over 2 years ago

byWoodsandWater
Style_council
byWoodsandWater

I agree with you ladies! I like the body shop (not their extremely scented body butter though) or Aveeno. I don’t like putting lotions on that feel too fake or loaded with extras.

posted over 2 years ago

Polly_Nirvana
Style_council
Polly_Nirvana

I have really dry skin, especially in the winter it’s flaking and hurting me, my arms actually have some marks because of the dryness if I scratch my skin a little my tan (I guess the top layer of my skin) actually falls off and it’s white underneath so my arms look kinda weird right now. And because I didn’t take enough care at the beginning of the winter (big mistake) I am doing that now. I use baby oil for a long time now as it’s really gentle and doesn’t include as many chemicals as most of the normal lotions and stuff. I also use Garnier’s creme for hands with allantoin, and I’ve been using the same thing for a second winter – it’s perfect. Great results just over one night.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

My skin flakes too, but not as bad as yours seems to. I may try the baby oil thing this weekend; my hands get drier than any other part of my body, so I’m always on the hunt for new hand cremes. I will have check out the Garnier one!

Thanks for all of your responses and your great advice and info ladies!

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Keihl’s is one of my favorite places to buy body products from, but I can’t always afford it. Right now, I’m just finishing up a bottle of their Coriander body lotion. In the shower I use Bergamot vert bar soap from Thymes. It smells amazing, but doesn’t really linger on my skin. I use a pouf or scrubby mitts to lather up and then I try to use a homemade salt scrub once or twice a week. They’re so easy to make; message me if you want a recipe! I put sunscreen on my neck and chest during the winter, and then everywhere else in the summer.

Like a few of you mentioned, I’ve been trying to go more natural, so every once in a while I use a deodorizer instead of an antiperspirant. The chemicals they put in to make you stop sweating have been linked to Alzheimer’s :( Unfortunately, I’m too worried about my dumb clothes being ruined, so I haven’t been very good about not wearing antiperspirant.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I’ve never heard that about antiperspirants – that’s scary! I honestly didn’t even think about my antiperspirant. Now I am definitely going to look for some alternatives though!

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

@fashion_nerd, yeah they use aluminum, which is quite bad for you! My mom has been telling me for years that antiperspirants are bad, but I never listened.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION