SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

I heard someone the other day on a YT video say that she shaved her arms. I never heard of this before and I was wondering if this common? Also, how does the hair grow back?

posted over 2 years ago
jasmine19
Style_council
jasmine19

I know a lot of girls that do this but the hair grows back darker and it can sometimes itch. I think it’s a little pointless because no one pays that much attention to arm hair as much as they to legs or armpit

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I shave my arms – when I was in junior high, one of my friends made fun of me for having “hairy arms” (actually, I just had really dark hair against really light skin – not an abnormal amount, just more visible than most people’s), so I started shaving my arms.

It has pros and cons. I have to do it every day so I don’t get unsightly stubble or the itching Jasmine mentioned, but honestly I love the way it feels. Body hair really kind of freaks me out, so I don’t mind the trouble.

posted over 2 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

I wax my arm hair, it stays away longer so you don’t have to do it as often. I only do it occasionally when I feel the need to have smooth hairless arms.

posted over 2 years ago

jadekelly
New_user jadekelly is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jadekelly reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jadekelly

I shave my arms, but my armhair is extremely fair and grows back really slowly so I only have to do it about once a month.

I started doing it years ago after I was looking after a toddler who asked me “why is your arm hair so long?!” I figured if a toddler noticed then it must have been long, and I’ve been doing it ever since. I’m not too fussed about it now, it’s just become a habit more than anything.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I shaved my arms once in high school and my best friend made fun of me forever. I never did it again.

FACT: It’s cheaper than waxing and less painful, but waxing results are nicer and last longer.

MYTH: It makes your hair darker and thicker.

It does NOT make your hair grow back darker or thicker. It appears darker and/or thicker for a little while, but that is only because the hair shaft has been cut bluntly. Natural arm hair is tapered so it looks finer and lighter than hair that has been shaved.

posted over 2 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I shave mine because I’m really fair but I have dark hair, so my arm hair is super noticeable. So, I shave it.
And, as catiekat said, it definitely doesn’t grow back darker and thicker. If it did, I’d have monkey looking arms by now.

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I shaved one of my arms a few times in middle school just for kicks to see what would happen. now that arm is hairier than the other lol. maybe for some people it doesn’t, but for me shaving made the hair grow longer.

posted over 2 years ago

Polly_Nirvana
Style_council
Polly_Nirvana

I’ve got lots of friends that wax their arms, but I wouldn’t do it cause my arm hair isn’t really big and it’s quite blonde so it’s not noticeable.

posted over 2 years ago

jocandy
Style_council
jocandy

shaving your arms is so common nowadays. I shave my arms and so do most of my friends. My hair takes a while to grow back but when it does, it’s really poky but not thicker than how I had it before I started shaving. There’s people out there that say their hair grows back thicker and darker but that doesnt apply to everyone.

posted over 2 years ago

mercik
Style_council
mercik

It’s just arm hair. Not a big deal. Ive been told I have hairy arms and I dont care. Never did.
Men ( most) dont shave their arms why should we?
We should have the same freedoms.

posted over 2 years ago

obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

Thank you to everyone that commented on this question! I wasn’t expecting so many answers so quickly…. :)

posted over 2 years ago

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I personally don’t because it takes me long enough to shave my legs and all that, so I don’t need to add my arms! LOL. But my friend does and I hate when her hair grows back because it feels prickly.

posted over 2 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

I used a cream to remove them a few times.
Simply not worth the effort for me.
And when you think about it, you are covered with hair…the only place not to have hair is the inside of your mouth (and maybe palms and bottoms of your feet!).

posted over 2 years ago

SarahAddicted
Style_council
SarahAddicted

Wow that’s too much shaving and waxing to my taste, I have dark hair too but I’d never shave it just thinking about how it would grow back since it’s cut and not taken off.

posted over 2 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I have quite dark hair on my arms but I’ve never been too self conscious about it. It’s common for women to have hairy arms.

posted over 2 years ago

anyelina
Style_council
anyelina

I have very few , scattered hairs on both arms and legs . I literally shave my legs every 2 to 3 weeks.

posted over 2 years ago

clotheshorse70
Style_council
clotheshorse70

Interesting you ask this question. I went to a party thrown by a famous producer once and he mentioned he wanted everyone clean shaven, including one’s arms. I thought that was the craziest thing I have ever heard.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION