SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I used to wash my hair every single day because it made me feel cleaner. It was pretty bad for my hair, especially since my hair is on the curly side and therefore very dry. So for the past couple of weeks I’ve been trying to wash my hair every other or every third day.

On wash days I do my normal routine of shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, and then braiding it to dry while I sleep. On no-wash days I just keep my hair dry and pinned on top of my head while I wash the rest of my body.

However, I’ve been unhappy with how my hair feels after the no-wash days. It feels even more dry and frizzy. Any oil that accumulates on my scalp doesn’t work its way down my hair shaft. (And those of you with curls know what a disaster it would be if I tried to “help it along” with a brush!). Since the natural oil hasn’t spread and I haven’t put any conditioner in for more than 24 hours, the frizz attacks.

Is there any way to fix this dryness? Would it be better if I got my hair wet on off-days, conditioning it but not shampooing it? Or is there a way I can keep it dry but still encourage the oil to disperse? (Or do I just need to I wait it out a while longer until my hair adjusts or something?). I don’t have a preference between wet or dry, I just want to know what would be healthiest for my hair.

I’ll take advice from anyone, but I’m especially curious if you have textured hair yourself and don’t shampoo every day. What do you do on off-days?

posted about 7 years ago
1 3
contemporarity
Style_council
contemporarity

My hair is unpredictable. Mind of its own. It’s kind of the same nonsensical mess every day.

posted almost 7 years ago

PurpleLabNYC
Style_council
PurpleLabNYC

not washing your hair every day can be hard, especially if you have fine, oily hair, but it does help strengthen your hair and give it a break from all the tools and products you use when you do wash it. a messy chic bun is a great idea for “off-days”, and try using some hair powder (or baby powder in a pinch). rubbed into your scalp, it absorbs oil and lifts up the roots a bit.

sparkle13222
Style_council
sparkle13222

if yu cant wash yur hair every so often, yu can use loose powder to lightly cover greasy hair, also try spraying perfume on a blush brush and lightly running it through hair so it smells nice all day. no one needs to kno:)

ewitscaroline
Style_council
ewitscaroline

Baby powder works well if by “dirty” you mean greasy.

treeonawall
New_user treeonawall is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When treeonawall reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
treeonawall

I put it in a ponytail.

posted about 5 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

I wear it in a pony tail

posted about 5 years ago

Roxx
Style_council
Roxx

I wash my hair once a week. OMG, even I can’t believe I managed train my hair in order to do that!
2 years ago I had to wash it every other day, especially in the summer time because it was very greasy but then I gradually started increasing the time between washing days. It is hard but in time and with patience the days between washes will grown.

At first, for a couple of weeks, I wore my hair for 3 days, no matter how greasy it got, I didn’t wash it until the 3rd day was over. After it got used to this, I increased the wait to 4 days, then 5, then 6 and now I wash my hair every Tuesday right before going to classes^^

posted about 5 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

A few months back I switched from washing my hair every few days to washing everyday and now I cannot go without washing everyday. I think it depends on the shampoo and products you put in your hair. Plus I do a coconut oil treatment once a week to keep my hair from being overly dry

posted about 5 years ago

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

You definitely need to wear a shower cap when you shower! I know it’s not so cute and kind of old school, but this has been my saving grace for keeping my hair frizz free from all of the moisture and steam in the shower! I do this, and then use dry shampoo on my hair, and just rub it in with my fingers, and my hair looks almost as good as it did the first day! Definitely try the shower cap though, I swear by it!

posted about 5 years ago

andrealynnxo
Style_council
andrealynnxo

I used to always wear a hat on days where my hair looked super bad in-between washes. I honestly go about 3 or 4 days without washing my hair now, and it’s SUPER healthy and it actually doesn’t look so bad in-between now. You can always use dry shampoo.

posted about 5 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I’ve literally tried like 6 different dry shampoos, and honestly none of them beat plain old baby powder or flour. they all make my hair crunchy, stiff, greasy, and just downright dirtier than before—I haven’t found a single one that simply absorbs.

I just keep my hair in a bun when it’s noticeably greasy.

posted about 5 years ago

maddiejayy
Style_council
maddiejayy

I get my hair wet every day in the shower. I just only wash it with shampoo/conditioner twice a week.

posted about 5 years ago

curlsandbags
Style_council
curlsandbags

I have curls and I wash it once in three days. The third day I put it in a ponytail. I don’t have the problem you have, but I use shampoo and a great mask each time I wash it (1-minute mask from garnier). After I put a product on my ends to make them healthy and also I use Oil miracle from schwarzkopf (i think this is a great product). I try not to use a lot of styling products, because it’s not great for your hair.
If I shower and my hair is frizzy I straighten it a bit on top and put some hairspray in it, it works for me :)

posted about 5 years ago

tiffanyjc
Style_council
tiffanyjc

I try to refrain from washing my hair everyday… but it’s insanely hard, since I have really fine hair that gets oily if I DON’T wash it every day. On the no-wash days, I’ll normally take baking soda and rub that into the roots to absorb the oil; these are also the best days to style my hair, since it tends to hold shape better. (:

posted about 5 years ago

PLNDR
New_user PLNDR is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When PLNDR reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
PLNDR

With my hair, if I blow dry it for about 30 seconds on cold just to fluff it up, I can do every style with it the second day that I do the first!
Also, if your hair gets a little oily looking the second day at the roots only, that doesn’t mean you need to wash it because the tips will get too dry. Just powder a little corn starch on your roots. It actually will make your hair thicker and it dries up any greasy look.

posted about 5 years ago

lalipops
Style_council
lalipops

I wear it in a pony tail when I don’t was it!

posted about 5 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

Most peoples hair holds backcombing and styling if it’s a little bit greasy. I like putting my hair in a big french roll when I’m feeling lazy and don’t wash it.

posted about 5 years ago

IdeaSquirrel
Style_council
IdeaSquirrel

I’ve never been one to wash my hair everyday. :P
So what I do on those no wash days Is I do like a messy bun, a sock bun, a ponytail, some braids, etc. I just do everything. Haha. Honestly I think it depends on what clothes you’re wearing. :) Like I’m going to Florida soon and I’m probably going to put my hair up everyday whether I wash it or not. But if I’m trying to be more elegant I’ll go with a braid rather than a ponytail. You know what I mean?

posted about 5 years ago

HotPants
Style_council
HotPants

This may sound terrible to you then but I only wash mine every 7 days haha. on the third day i do a shower rinse to get product buildup out of hair and condition it. And if my scalp is itchy from oil I use dry shampoo. My hair tends to be pretty dry, though, which is why I can go so long. It’s naturally very curly. If it’s just a crazy mess or looks dirty before I have to wash it I just dry shampoo it and then throw it into a high, messy bun or a side braid.

posted about 5 years ago

Starrshine14
New_user Starrshine14 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When Starrshine14 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Starrshine14

Alright, so this is going to sound kind of strange, but: hairspray. I have very long thick wavy/curly hair. I only wash it every other day or every 3rd day because my roots get too oily if not. However, on the other days if I really feel the need to if it is oily and uncomfortable, I use hairspray in my roots and tease my hair slightly. I have used dry shampoo, and personally for me, I didn’t find it to be helpful. So one day when my hair was extremely oily, I was trying to style it to hide the oil. Let alone I ended up finding out that using hairspray on the roots will not only help it feel a bit less oily, it also hid the oily look as well. Now the only thing with this is that more than one or two days of having hairspray in your hair(depending on how much you use) you will end up needing to wash it.

Also, what a stylist told me to do was to use a boars hair hair brush, but since we know we can’t use brushes on curly hair due to frizz, she told me to use the hair brush BEFORE I take a shower to help distribute the oils.

I’m regards to the hair spray, don’t use it until really needed, because otherwise you will find yourself washing sooner due to buildup. Just use light amounts on the scalp, and tease it a bit. Works like a charm for me!

posted almost 5 years ago

fair
New_user fair is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When fair reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
fair

Everyday currently. I use hair products on my hair so I feel really unclean unless I shampoo it all out.
Although people say it's bad, my hairs actually in excellent condition cause I have pretty strong thick hair (I have virgin hair right now) and I use repair conditioner and leave in conditioners and such.

But when I had blonde hairstylezz, I washed every other or I mixed a bit of shampoo into my conditioner. Hair did become dry if I washed it everyday (but my hair was literally messed up from all the times I dyed/bleached & permed it). Depends on your hair type on how often you should wash your hair. If you're trying to go a few days without washing, try using dry shampoo. I personally don't like it but others seem to, so you might want to try it.

posted 3 months ago
1 3
REPLY TO DISCUSSION