Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
TAGS:  dermatology
sharuru06
Style_council
sharuru06

Okay, so i have really bad eczema, and average acne. I have no idea how to deal with either one of them. I’ve tried some creams for dry skin, and various lotions such as Aquaphor Original Ointment, and Eucerin Calmin Itch Relief. Unfortunately I don’t have any health insurance right now, but I live in MD USA, and if anyone knows doctors with reasonable prices, I’d be willing to go. This stuff is a nightmare, and it’s making my skin very uneven and damaged.

posted about 5 years ago
New_user 41153 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41153 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I get really dry hands in the winter because of the cold air, though it usually doesnt stay for long. But I swear by Glysomed hand cream. They come in bright green little bottles, in drugstores. It’s slightly greasy, but about a day after applying it, the cuts (in worst cases) and gone and soft (: To get around being greasy I usually just apply on the backs of my hands, avoiding palms.

I don’t get acne much, so I cant help you there. Just what everyone says.. wash your face a lot. My friend has bad acne, and to no avail with products. :/

posted about 5 years ago

harleygrant
Style_council
harleygrant

I suffer from eczema, too. :(

I use hydro-cortisone creams or Eumovate, which is prescribed. You could ask at your pharmacy, as I’m pretty sure it can be bought over the counter. As for Acne, Freederm works wonders.

posted about 5 years ago

sharuru06
Style_council
sharuru06

someone told me to buy neutrogena products. You think that could work too?

posted about 5 years ago

kengle3
Style_council
kengle3

Since price seems to be an issue, I’d suggest an aspirin mask for your acne. I have a propylene glycol allergy which prevents me from using just about every anti-acne (and pretty much every cosmetic) product on the market. If they don’t list it, its usually an unlisted ingredient. So, I’ve been using aspirin masks to reduce my acne and minimize my exposure to propylene glycol. Its extremely cheap.

Heres a video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Hksg8B4cQ

I got all the materials for it from the grocery store. Her version of it takes 2 weeks to reduce redness. However, I’ve put my own twist on it. Also get a bottle of redness reducing eyedrops and include a couple of drops in it. That should provide at least some temporary redness relief while it treats the acne.

posted almost 5 years ago

calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

my sister has eczema and her doctor always told her to use neutrogena products, so i think you’re onto something there in terms of soaps. you need something mild, unscented, and hypo-allergenic.

some recommendations for lotions to keep your skin soft are aquaphor healing ointment or eucerin cream, but this is if the skin is really dry.

if you already have a rash, try a more liquid lotion like lubriderm, or moisturel therapeutic lotion to let the skin breath a little better.

for itching, you might try benadryl cream and for a bad rash, try a hydrocortisone cream like cortizone-10. these are all over-the-counter.

i have mild acne and i went to a dermatologist who prescribed me an antibiotic and retin-a, which worked wonders. since you can’t see a doctor, you can try to recreate the effects by using a mild cleanser like cetaphil and finish off with a lotion containing retinol at night, which is a mild version of the stuff they prescribe. you might also try either a salicylic acid or benzoyl-peroxide treatment, but never both at the same time. they usually come in creams at the drug store and have directions on the box.

phew. i sound like a doctor, which i am not. but that’s what i know!

eudaemonic
Style_council
eudaemonic

Careful about the aspirin mask, because I’ve heard that your skin can actually absorb the aspirin.

Memosne
Style_council
Memosne

Eucerin is definitely the way to go…I got a case of eczema this winter. The doctor prescribed some steroid cream and the I heard that Eucerin is the second best option. She prescribed that you apply any moisturizer immediately after you shower to keep all the moisture in. For acne…I have a serious problem with that too. I’ve been battling it for years and I feel like I’ve used everything on the planet to try and treat it. Murad, Proactive, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, etc. But I’ve finally found something that works for me and it is the Vichy Normaderm System.

kengle3
Style_council
kengle3

Its kind of the point for your skin to absorb some of the aspirin’s ingredients. You just need to use it in moderation. Don’t use it every day.

StrawberryFields
Style_council
StrawberryFi...

Ive had eczema for over three years now and theres ALOT to go through in trying to control it.
If you need any help just send me a pm and i’ll give you my email address and we can discuss your condition more.
And dont get your hopes up when seeing a doctor love,theyre not that good!
Trust me ive been there.

0er0xox
Style_council
0er0xox

I also have eczema. It runs in my family.
You need a moisturizing body wash. I like Olay’s Sensitive Hypoallergenic body wash.
Don’t use one of those body wash scrubies!!!
They don’t get off dead skin use a wash cloth.

As far as your face, there is two ways to go about this:
expensive
cheap

expensive
-Olay moisturizer
-any of those small facial scrubbers

cheap
-Freeman’s clay mask
-St Ives make up remover
-any organic/ all natural moisturizer

New_user 37007 is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When 37007 reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!

see a dermatologist too. they’re the ones most suited to help you

mariagonzales
Style_council
mariagonzales

I suffer from eczema as well. When the weather changes from hot to cold is when it’s worse. For itch you can get cortizone cream over the counter. I personally use a mixture or Vitamin E oil, Aloe gel and cortizone cream. I find the aloe helps cool the patches and also helps with the fading of scars. However, I do have plenty scars that are very visible still. Neck, legs, tummy and my arm pit area. I HATE IT :( I went to a dermatologist and had shots, creams and pills…nothing really worked for me. I hope you have better luck!

posted over 4 years ago

katiemd
Style_council
katiemd

my sister has eczema too and she uses aveeno creams. they can be a little pricey though

posted over 4 years ago

coffeejunkie
Style_council
coffeejunkie

I used to suffer from bad acne. I tried all over the counter treatments but none of them worked for me. I only got rid of them when I went to see a dermatologist. She’s the one who recommended these over the counter treatments for me: (I don’t know if it’s available in your country, though)
1. Dual (Benzoyl Peroxide)
2. Adaplene, Differin Anti Acne
They got rid of all my pimples. They really work. I apply them after washing my face. :)
Before you buy any other products, you need to know your skin type as well. Sometimes breaking out is caused by products not meant for your skin.
The best facial wash out there is Cetaphil, for me. It works on most skin types.
Last, put mask on your face at least once a week. :)

posted over 4 years ago

snow
Style_council
snow

I have eczema and Cortizone and other OTC anti-itch creams only made it worse! Has that happened to anyone else? It made it more red, more itchy, more peely, etc. I now have a prescription and it is pretty much under control. If you aren’t already, whenever you wash the affected area(s) make sure you dry well. Leaving the skin wet makes it worse.

posted over 4 years ago

cbrown1388
Style_council
cbrown1388

Hi, I have had eczema my entire life. I have been able to deal with it in various places on my body (legs, arms, bends of both, neck face) It is hard to manage on my face because of my acne also. I am not sure what is a good product to use for them both on my face. I cant use any product that are strong, scented, or any cosmetic products. I have been to dermatologist and seem to get no help. I would appreciate if anyone could help.

posted over 4 years ago

viridianduchess
Style_council
viridianduchess

I too suffer from both. I use Cetaphil cleansing and moisturizing products because they are gentle. I also use St. Ives apricot scrub in the morning which also helps.

posted over 4 years ago

lovelyyx
Style_council
lovelyyx

i don’t know much on the subject but a good friend of mine began to eat
“gluten free”

posted over 4 years ago

salutsophie
Style_council
salutsophie

I also suffer from acne, and unfortunately it won’t disappear overnight.

My acne-busting routine is washing my face with Clinique’s Mild Liquid Facial Soap, followed by Clinique’s Anti-Blemish Solutions Clarifying Lotion as a toner, with Simple’s Hydrating Light Moisturiser twice a day. At night before moisturising, I put a product containing Benozyl Peroxide (2.5%) on my acne – this is really good for drying out the acne and reducing redness. I’ve found that this routine has helped my acne to the point where I have very few spots now, just red marks from previous acne spots.

You could also try taking some vitams to help skin maintenance and balance out hormones that could cause acne; I use Vitamin A, Zinc for skin maintenance and Evening Primrose Oil for hormones.

The best thing you can do is keep your face clean and try not to touch it/pick at spots. Also, use non-comedogenic make-up that is oil-free so it doesn’t clog your pores and create more acne. Plus, drink lots of water!

[ /end lecture]

posted over 4 years ago

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

That sounds like a nightmare. I have eczema, and I use prescribed lotions, which is tough in your case. The best I could say is avoid dust, prolonged exposure to sunlight and pollen; these are common allergens that cause eczema to flare up.

posted over 4 years ago

Alphaangel90
Style_council
Alphaangel90

ECZEMA UNFORTUNTALLY THE CONTROL IS KEEPIN CLEAN AND DRY . NEVER PUT ARTIFICAL JEWELERY, PURFUM, LOTIONS WITH FRANGANCE. TRIGGERS BY BEING TO HOT (SWEAT, STRESS,DIABETES). aDVISE TO USE CUREL AND DEFINETLY GET ANTIBOTIC CREAM FROM YOUR DOCTOR. CUREL HELPS SOOTHES THE PAIN. if you get tooo hot it will flare up. If your diabetic and your blood sugar is not balance it will trigger it. You can controll it ….STAYING COOL AND CLEAN and Dry but use no parfums . if you like parfumes spray them on on your clothes not your skin

ACNE CAN DERIVE FROM A MUTIPLE CAUSES. YOU WOULD BE SUPRISE OF SOME DISEASE DIAGNOSIS THAT CAUSES. cushing disease it is common, unbalance hormones, Always consult your doctor.
For normal proberty ,college life acne, menustral acne I used tooth paste to help dry it . Never burst them unless the dermatologist is the one doing it. Never sleep in make up . Number one creater of acne is food. Watch the type of food you eat such as greasy foods (fried) limit that and eat more healthy foods. what you eat has a lot to do with your outbreaks.

posted over 4 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I had horrible eczema in high school but it’s pretty much all gone now. I think all the related conditions are chronic though… i.e. my skin gets all red and bumpy if I exercise or take a shower. SUCKS.

the worst thing about eczema is the doctors will NEVER tell you the cause—they don’t know. All they do is prescribe you hydrocortizone creams which can only provide temporary relief. Use them though! I had maybe 5 different prescribed hydocortizones in high school.

bottom line is: be gentle to your skin! moisturize often, don’t scrub too hard, don’t use perfumes, don’t shower w hot water (it’ll dry your skin out), etc. this is kinda gross, but keep your nails short so you won’t scratch it.
wearing lotion w/ SPF (esp for the face) should help prevent further discoloration.

also.. your diet and lifestyle might aggravate your eczema. don’t worry! it’ll go away and you’ll end up with pretty skin :). and when you do.. make sure you still take good care of it!

posted over 4 years ago

Kayyy
Style_council
Kayyy

Avon has some good mask stuff.

posted over 4 years ago

IntrinsicallyFlorrie
Style_council
Intrinsicall...

Aww I have a eczema on my arms but it’s really under control thanks to the cream I get through perscription (in the Uk here). Really hope you find something that helps! x

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION