SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ohheycam
Style_council
ohheycam

My 21st birthday is next month so I’ve been spending the past couple of months trying to get everything together. I have dress picked out, found shoes and accessories.

Now I don’t really need makeup. My skin’s usually pretty clear but I just want it to look completely flawless. I’m also pretty dark skinned, so finding the right foundation, eye make up color, lip color, etc is really difficult.
Does anyone know of good, light, longlasting foundations? And what colors will work best for me as far as eyes and lips are concerned?

I’ve always thought darker is better but I have no idea especially since I don’t really wear make up to begin with?

So any suggestions out there?

Thank you:)

posted over 3 years ago
FeliceRaina
Style_council
FeliceRaina

visit Macy’s and get a free consultation from M.A.C Cosmetics! They are amazing with that:) happy early birthday

posted over 3 years ago

inthenameoffashion
Style_council
inthenameoff...

I have dark skin and finding the right foundation is hard because theres few to choose from. But I found a great match for myself that I buy from a Macy’s counter called Origins. Its natural skincare. I would check them out. Iman also has a make-up line for women with dark skin, and Iv’e heard great things about it, its called Iman Cosmetics.
As for colors, since you dont wear makeup much, you may prefer to have a more natural look, i’d stick to earth tones. Gold toned for eyes, a peachy color for cheeks, and a nude toned lip color or even a brighter pink if you want to go there. Or instead of earth tones you could go with rich colors, like plums and purples on eyes, a light shimmer on the cheeks, and a deeper lipstick with red undertones. It’s all up to you really, just try different things out to see what you like on yourself and maybe take a risk. Have a good birthday.

posted over 3 years ago

ohheycam
Style_council
ohheycam

Thank you ladies!
Both of your replies were really helpful, I’ll start looking at Iman Cosmetics now.
And the next time I go to work, I’ll stop by Macy’s (in the same mall I work in)

Thanks again!

posted over 3 years ago

sugarbabiez
New_user sugarbabiez is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When sugarbabiez reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
sugarbabiez

I think Revlon Colorstay is best! They have one for oily & dry/combination skin. It’s in a very wide variety of colors, super long lasting, high coverage, and affordable. It doesn’t feel cakey either, which I really like! I think corals, reds, pinks and purples would look good on anyone with darker skin, but since it’s summer maybe a coral or red?

posted over 3 years ago

hayleymedlen
Style_council
hayleymedlen

It depends on what type of skin you have. I like the Maybelline mousse foundtions so if you have combination or oily skin you should use the creme mousse, and if you have dry skin the liquid dream mousse would be best. Just o a google search and you can find the product pretty easily so you know what to look for at the drugstore. And as far as colors go I wouldnt go too dark since its summer. Im mixed and the darkest I will go is bronze shadow. If you do bronxe a pink lip always looks really good. Purple looks amazing with brown eyes too, but if your gonna play up your eyes alot you dont want to play up your lips too much. Hope I helped :) Happy early birthday! I can’t wait until I’m 21. Haha :)

posted over 3 years ago

DaniGlam
Style_council
DaniGlam

I agree with inthenameof… IMAN is where is it at. Personally I have tried literally every type of MAC foundation and most have medium to heavy coverage which can be overwhelming for some people. They can tend to make darker skin tones look ashy or to red/orange. Plus it can be expensive (or at least to me, penny pinching college student) . Iman foundation stick is cheaper and provides great coverage especially if you have oily skin. As for your makeup I suggest big bold lashes with neutral or gold tone eyes, a simple neutral peach or pink cheek with a luminescent highlight and a bold lip (Fuscia, Deep Red).

posted over 3 years ago

ohheycam
Style_council
ohheycam

Wow all this information is definitely helpful. I’ll have to drag my friend along because she’s a little more makeup savvy than I am. Thank you so much for your responses and thanks so much for the birthday wishes!

posted over 3 years ago

xanjelix
Style_council
xanjelix

advance happy birthday.. cant help you with make p stuffs though as im pretty useless when it comes to that :p

posted over 3 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

I dont like to use foundation because like you I have pretty clear skin. As a girl with dark skin, I wear whatever color eyeshadow or lip stick I want. You just have to remember that you might have to to apply less of a bright color so it wont pop too much. For example, I bought this nyx nude lip stick and when I put it on how i would with any other lip stick but it looked so crazy. Instead of throwing it away, I took a piece a toilette paper and put it on my lips pressed down gently. When I looked back in the mirror that same horrible looking lipstick, looked so perfect. The key to wearing bright eyeshadows or lipstick is to make sure its in moderation.

P.S. Happy Early Birthday&watch tutorials on youtube, the makeup gurus on there will never steer you wrong.

posted over 3 years ago

Totallyoutcasted
Style_council
Totallyoutca...

If you have clear skin, then why wear foundation? Don’t fix it if it’s not broken. I’ve had tons of makeup consultations and they all tell me the same thing: “You have good skin. Don’t wear foundation.” In fact, they wouldn’t even allow foundation to touch my skin.

Instead, try a tinted moisturizer. It’ll have the same effect that you want and since a little goes a long way, you’ll have it for a while. You don’t even have to worry about shade matching as much. I use Bobbi Brown’s tinted moisturizer, but not everything works for everybody so you have to do some trial or error to see what works for you.

Also, you have to do some trial and errors with colors as well. As a general rule, if you look better in colors like reds, browns, and yellows, then you wear warm tones. If you look better in blues, greens, and purples, then you go for cool tones. If you look good in both, then you are apart of the lucky few that can wear any tone of shadows and look great.

posted over 3 years ago

starfishpearl
Style_council
starfishpearl

My Dinair airbrush makeup kit has changed my life. Take a look at my photos. There is no photo shop or touch ups. The starters kit goes for about 150$, but if you invest in this you will never go back to regular makeup again. I also only pay about 16$ every 2 weeks to purchase more makeup. This is partly true because I change my makeup very often for photo shoots and events, but if you are a casual makeup wearer, you wont even need to spend that. Please look it up and check it out. I wish more woman of color knew about this product. The application is absolutely flawless, and flawless is my middle name girl!

posted over 3 years ago

ohheycam
Style_council
ohheycam

Getting foundation to take care of any imperfections that may pop up. I’m really prone to heat rashes on my face for example. And It’s my birthday, so I want to look perfect. I will definitely check into all the options you ladies have given me! I really do appreciate all of this. Keep it coming! lol

posted over 3 years ago

hotlikemexico
Style_council
hotlikemexico

you should get a mac tinted mousturizer thats the best, or a prolong wear mac foundation ;) they are the best!

posted over 3 years ago

SecretB5StopsAcne
Style_council
SecretB5Stop...

It depends on what type of skin you have. If you have combination or oily skin you should use the creme mousse, and if you have dry skin the liquid dream mousse would be best. It surely work on your skin.

posted over 3 years ago

ohheycam
Style_council
ohheycam

Thanks!

posted over 3 years ago

iammarge
Style_council
iammarge

For dark skin. HD powders is a must! :) So you won’t be having a problem finding the perfect shade of powder/foundation.

posted over 3 years ago

LaurenChanel
Style_council
LaurenChanel

try iman’s line of makeup

posted about 3 years ago

fashionbysai
Style_council
fashionbysai

make sure that you use the right tone for your skin. Not too light and not too dark. You’ll have a more flawless look by doing this :)

posted about 3 years ago

clotheshorse70
Style_council
clotheshorse70

Sometimes you have to mix a couple o foundations together to get the right shade. I use MAC, Lancome, Maybelline Dream Mousse and L’oreal Perfect match. They’re all great product and work for dark skin.

posted about 3 years ago

MuaRisa
New_user MuaRisa is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MuaRisa reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MuaRisa

you cant clearly say yellow tone for yellow tones and pink is for pink undertones. There are MANY exceptions. People dont pick it out that way. There are even people who get into arguments at makeup counters because they are a cool and someone insisted they were a warm. Some people are yellow toned which is light but with alot of splotches of pink. Ive seen many clients who are light/yellow but certain foundations made them look like “jaundice/yellow” they complained.The right combo of pink and yellow made them soo bright and radiant. Its all on personal preference,thats all.Our skin is very diverse. One of the world’s biggest makeupartist said everyone in the world can at least use 2 foundations, many people can wear 3 or more. It depends on what you are trying to bring out the most. On some days some people prefer to look more rosier so they use a pink undertone. Some people want that more rosier undertone because it looks fresher/young. We all know that NC is gold and NW is pink in MAC. NC is lighter than NW, NW is more reddish/pink. An NC40 and NW40. There are people who see both yellow and splotches of pink on them like I said. A yellow person will not look “ashy” when wearing pink undertones, they will look PINKY. Usually we humans are not one tone! we are not all yellow! there are fair skinned yellow people with pink undertones. Its actually preferred to use a combo of tellow/olive and red/pink undertones. You have to experiment. If you are yellow and use only yellow foundation than you will appear more flat( which is great if thats what you like) but addingpink makes you look rosier and many people love that.
Alot of times darker toned women like African American/carribean women have to mix more than one foundation ,everyone on earth is different
After years of being a makeup artist. The rule stands true. There are no rules to makeup, only rules of thumb. Nothing called “too anything”.I disagree with telling anyone how to wear their foundation/blush/powder/eyeliner/eyeshadow. Makeup is subjective. Everyone has their own makeup style. Many light people tend to go light/lighter or mix it with a luminzer to make themselves brighter/radiant/porcelin like. A great example of this would be dita von teese, who even stays out the sun to maintain her light skintone and wears light foundation. Others prefer to be dark/darker and darken in the sun or use bronzer all over their skintone. Different people have different preferences. If I spelled “Horse” “Howrse” than there is no “ifs” “and” or “buts” because grammar isnt subjective. What is wrong is wrong!However. Makeup is subjective. I hate nude lips. Does that mean its right to say “dont wear nude lips” ? No.
I might not like it but someone else might. There is no rule to makeup. Thats the beauty of being a makeup artist. There are soo many different styles.
I hate bronzer. But maybe there is someone who loves that deep bronzed look. I cant go to them and say “dont go soo deep in the bronzer” and say its “constructive”. There are soo many different styles.who is anyone to tell someone theyre wearing a too light or too dark foundation, because there is no such thing. Nicole and Sam from pixiwoo(huge makeupartists in Britain) sometimes wear paler or darker foundation and it looks gorgeous! as long as people blend it to the neck its fine….some people prefer to look bright and radiant.

posted almost 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION