SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
stylesonlychild
Style_council
stylesonlychild

The Test of Healthy Hair (http://glo.msn.com/beauty/how-healthy-is-your-hair-)
Have you ever wondered just how healthy your hair is? Well, if you have you are totally justified to question the health of your hair. I mean, if you don’t know how healthy or unhealthy your hair is, how are you to know what treatments you need or do not need? Here are a few simple tests that test the health of your hair and some easy changes to remedy your unhealthy hair areas.
1. Knotty Hair- Tie a lock of hair into a loose knot and set it on your palm. If the knot stays closed, then it means your hair has likely been over-processed.
Quick Fix: If your hair is fragile due to heat damage, color damage, or dry don’t brush it when wet because that is when it is most likely to break. Instead, brush it before you shower and then once its damp or mostly dry, style it with your fingers.
2. Sink or Float?- Pull a strand of hair from the back of your head and place it in a clear bowl of room-temperature water. If it floats, your hair has the right amount of moisture and has little to no damage. If the lock sinks, then it means that your hair is dry and porous, possibly from heat damage, shampoos that strip hair of its moisture, or color treatment.
Quick fix: “When hair is colored, the cuticle that protects the strand is lifted so that color can be deposited, making it very porous,” explains New York stylist Tyler Laswell. The best solution (besides quitting the colorist altogether)? “Use products like serums and pomades, which help smooth down the cuticle and bring shine back to the hair.”

3. Tug of War- Gently tug a small cluster of hair. If more than a few strands come out of your head, then get to the root of the problem, literally. Or if your hair stretches like gum, your hair is in need of a serious protein treatment. “The healthier and more hydrated your scalp is, the healthier your hair will be,” says Laswell.
Quick Fix: “Don’t shampoo your hair every day,” says Laswell. “You need natural oils and proteins to keep your scalp protected.” If you feel like your hair is getting greasy, then rinse it with water and apply conditioner only at the ends. If your hair is severely damaged, apply a keratin treatment to restore protein levels in hair for stronger hair.

4. The Ribbon Test- Take a loose strand of hair and with your nail, curl it like you would a ribbon. When you pull the curl straight, it should spring back into place. If it doesn’t reclaim its shape, then it needs more strength and conditioning.
Quick Fix: “Try a strengthening shampoo followed by a leave-in treatment,” says Laswell. “But don’t use a treatment every time you wash your hair. Anti-breakage products have very intense direct proteins and if they’re over-used, then they can make the problem worse.”

posted over 1 year ago
Tracey125
New_user Tracey125 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Tracey125 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Tracey125

When you are dealing with hair issues the right nutrition is vital. Since the basic hair nutrition is done from inside out, the most attention should be paid to what we eat. It is sometimes hard to provide the necessary amount of required products every day. In such cases multivitamins and dietary supplements can help. I am taking HairGain Formula, that is developed for people suffering from hair loss problems. In my case, it prevents the seasonal hair loss and increases new growth.

posted over 1 year ago

stylesonlychild
Style_council
stylesonlychild

I take hair vitamins too and they help as well. Thanks for the helpful comment.

posted over 1 year ago

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

I heard about the sink or float test, but never tried it! Now I think I will try most of these! Great post!

posted over 1 year ago

stylesonlychild
Style_council
stylesonlychild

Thank you!!

posted over 1 year ago

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

Hey, thanks for the great tips. I really needed this!

posted over 1 year ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

thanks for the tips!

posted over 1 year ago

thepigs
Style_council
thepigs

wow, the lock of hair in water test is something i’ve never heard of. thanks!

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION