SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Levity
Style_council
Levity

My grandmother keeps telling me there’s something in it that will give me cancer. Is this just a rumour?

posted over 5 years ago
wowjackie
Style_council
wowjackie

I’m not sure about that either, I read somewhere there’s toxic chemicals that lead to cancer, but I think only if you dye your hair very often it would.

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

There’s some pretty serious chemicals in hair dyes. I believe (but I’m not sure) that most contain certain metals that not only make it look not as good, but they’re harmful. If you go to Sally’s and get separate dye and developer or if you get it done professionally, you should be a bit better off…

posted over 5 years ago

Tashhh
Style_council
Tashhh

Almost everything contains something that can cause cancer nowadays. Hair dye does contain some harmful chemicals, mostly ammonia so it’s good to try to find dyes that are ammonia-free. Organic or more natural dyes are the best to look out for but I would recommend using henna (though you should read into it since there are important things you should know in advance). Veggie based dyes like manic panic while not nearly as permanent, also contain next to zero bad chemicals.

posted about 5 years ago

Bellalicious
Style_council
Bellalicious

Cheap hair colour is much more harsh. The more you pay for colour, usually its of a much better quality.

posted about 5 years ago

sarah_is_radd
Style_council
sarah_is_radd

Our cells absorb a certain amount of everything we put on it, and since hair dye contains a lot of harsh chemicals, your skin will likely absorb some of it. However, this doesn’t make it dangerous, since there wouldn’t be enough to cause any real damage. But I agree w/ Tashhh, looking into natural and henna dyes is not a bad idea.

posted about 5 years ago

teamB_macro
Style_council
teamB_macro

Great post. I also think that hair dye contains bad stuff in it. I just hope that those who make them also do their research. I dye my hair every three months. I hope that’s okay.

posted about 5 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

I’m sure there’s something at least somewhat dangerous in hair dye if doctors recommend that pregnant women avoid dying their hair.

posted about 5 years ago

CARLAB
Style_council
CARLAB

hello,it depends on the kind that you use.i use one hydratant that makes my curls smooth & shining.

posted about 5 years ago

PRETTYINSEQUINS
Style_council
PRETTYINSEQUINS

I am sure it is bad, but I am addicted :) so Ill keep dying it:)

posted about 5 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

It probably is but I started tuning my mom out a while ago so I can’t remember why :/

(My mom is one of those people who can tell you why EVERYTHING is bad for you)

posted about 5 years ago

New_user 52542 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 52542 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I think it would be wise to use dye with no amonia.
I think it would be less harsh to your hair.

I used to be a big hair dye user and now I just Henna my hair because I have witnessed the damage it has done to mine, unfortunately.
:/

posted about 5 years ago

Buffy_Leigh
Style_council
Buffy_Leigh

i will only get my hair dyed with aveda colour for as long as i can afford it. just the smell makes me think it can’t be bad for me. and my hair is much much healthier since i started dying it 7 years ago (am naturally blonde, have been aveda black-haired for 5 years now).

posted about 5 years ago

Vampira
Style_council
Vampira

You know my mom always tells me dying my hair black so much will give me cancer ahha. Just like you’ve heard in a way. I don’t know why black, but I guess chemicals can be bad ;p

posted about 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

It’s true that hair dye can be bad for you. An adverse reaction can cause swelling of the head and burning of the skin. I’ve never heard of it being linked to cancer though.
In the sense of physical hair damage it can be bad for you if you use it regularly (bleach especially) but dyeing your hair on the odd occasion won’t have any majorly noticeable damage to your hair and it’s something that a deep conditioning hair mask or conditioner can easily fix.

posted about 5 years ago

rhemel
Style_council
rhemel

I believe it is a myth

posted almost 4 years ago

gavinol
Style_council
gavinol

It’s a myth. Grey hair is caused when the pigment of your hair stops being produced. Grey hair is not grey at all but, white and pigmentless. It’s a sign of aging and “I’m not getting old it’s stress!” sounds a lot better. Some people go grey eariler than others.

Laser Miami[/url]
posted almost 4 years ago

JackieSharna
New_user JackieSharna is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When JackieSharna reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
JackieSharna

Im 16 and i dye my hair all the time and i havnt got cancer yes there are some bad chemicals in hair dye but you can get speciel hair dye like henner.

posted over 1 year ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

If nothing else, the chemicals damage your hair. If you’re worried about it, look into henna and see if it would work for you. It’s not as bad for your hair.

posted over 1 year ago

FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

I never heard of something like that and I dye my hair for quite some time. Hair dying might damage your hair a little if you don’t take care of it, but I don’t think it’s possible to have cancer because of it!

posted over 1 year ago

gingercinnamon
Style_council
gingercinnamon

I don’t know if that is true, but i do know that hair dying damage your hair even if you take care of them. Once i was in a salon and a bit of hair dying felt on a phone and even if it was immediately removed, it already dyed, so…
p.s. sorry for my bad english :)

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION