SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Sarah5cent
Style_council
Sarah5cent

I hate my face; it’s dull-colored and oily and whenever I put makeup on I either look oily or powdery. I’ve had this problem for 3 years now and I’ve tried to fix it but I can’t. All the face washes, toners, and moisturizers I use don’t seem to work and neither do my face powders and tinted moisturizer either.So please give me fash washes, toners, moisturizers, and make-up tips! :]

posted about 5 years ago
tati121
Style_council
tati121

If seeing a dermatologist isn’t an option then try these easy suggestions:

- Try not to wash your face too often. This may sound like weird advice since you have oily skin but if you strip your face of its natural oils by over-cleansing then it will just respond by creating more oil to compensate.

- Use an exfoliating scrub a few times a week to remove dead skin cells which will help with the dullness.

- A really good foundation for oily skin is Chanel’s Mat Lumiere. Go to a department store and ask if you can test it. Have them put it on when you first get there and then leave and walk around the store/mall and if it still looks good when you’re done walking around a few hours later then it might be a good match for you.

- Blotting papers are a must have for people with oily skin but remember that they’re called BLOTTING papers for a reason. I’ve seen many people (including friends) that take these little papers and WIPE their faces with them. It looks as if they’re getting more oil off but they’re actually just spreading around any dirt or bacteria they had on their face.

I too have oily skin and here are some of my fav products:

Biore Warming Anti-Blackhead Cream Cleanser

Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser

Biore Triple Action Astringent

Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, Oil Free

St. Ives Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer

Shiseido Pureness Balancing Softener Alcohol-Free

Shiseido Pureness Matifying Moisturizer Oil-Free

Here are some great skincare tips via videos:

Egg Mask Facial

Aspirin Mask

How to: Green Tea Facial Scrub Tutorial

I won’t go into specific detail about why I recommended every single one of those products or videos but they all do their own thing to manage oily skin. The cleansers and scrubs remove oil without stripping it off your face leaving your skin to overproduce oil. They also remove dead skin cells aiding in the brightening of your skin. The masks also help brighten your skin and remove the dullness that you hate oh so much. The astringents are strong yet hydrating. And the moisturizers are matifying, smooth, and will help control oil production throughout the day. I have used every single thing I’ve suggested to you and let’s just say, my friends would kill to have my skin ;]

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions

-tatiana

posted about 5 years ago

CherryHumbug
Style_council
CherryHumbug

I used to have really problematic skin… until I started to use Clinique! They have simple solutions tailored to all different skin types, so I would definitely recommend you go and speak to a sales person and see what they can recommend for you. A little perk with Clinique is that you often will get a little goodie bag free with your purchases, with nice little bits of make up and things in – helps you get your money’s worth!

Good luck!

posted about 5 years ago

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

I have AWFUL skin, so I have to fake a good complexion (seriously, even ACCUTANE didn’t work for me).

I swear by Makeup Forever’s HD foundation they sell at Sephora. It’s expensive, but I’ve found that one small pump is enough foundation for my entire face… and it is FULL coverage!

I also love Philosophy’s On A Clear Day face wash.

posted about 5 years ago

omfgjeannie
Style_council
omfgjeannie

I think you should get something very gentle and light as a wash and only wash twice a day. I suggest Johnson’s purpose. Its very gentle, and its like washing your face with water. It also doesn’t hurt your eyes if you get it in there.

toner may help too since its supposed to shrink your pores.

As tatiana said, green tea is really great for oily skin. Look for that, especially in lotion because even though you have oily skin, lotion is extremely important for your skin. You just gotta find the right lotion.

tatiana said most of the things i wanted to say so sorry if this post isnt’ that helpful XD Good luck!

posted about 5 years ago

missmargharitta
Style_council
missmargharitta

hey i had the same problem and I know how depressing it can be…

The reason why you suffer from oily skin is due to a hormonal imbalance.

Have you tried going on a contraceptive pill like Dianette or Yasmin? It changed everything for me and I ve recommended it to many of my friends who totally agree now.

You should exfoliate every morning in the shower by rubbing a wet towel on your face repeatidly until it feels “squeeky clean”. That really helps getting rid of the dewy complexion and dead skin cells and flakes etc…

I use garnier fresh and clean face wash and i think its great.

Use toner and moisturise.

The best moisturiser i ve found that moisturises without making my skin greasy:
Clinique Moisture surge. its amazing and totally worth it.

Make up wise- only use liquid foundation on the places that need to be concealed (eye area, spoty bits)
and cover your whole face with a layer of powder, so that it stays matt.

Good luck! Xxx

posted about 5 years ago

OliviaNicole
Style_council
OliviaNicole

I hated my skin for the longest time. My mom wouldn’t let me get makeup to cover it up and she wouldn’t let me shop for any type of solution because she thought that was too grown up for her little girl. Anyways, I finally got my hands on St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish & Blackhead Control. I’ve been switching between Clinique and St. Ives. As a last resort I would see a dermatologist.

posted about 5 years ago

viridianduchess
Style_council
viridianduchess

I really understand—growing up I had really bad acne and oily skin—-it’s genetics—my mother has acne and oily skin too. It’s also related to your hormones and diet. Nothing works for me either. I was on birth control—which didn’t help. So back when i was in my early teens I started using Pro active—I thought it wouldn’t work but it did. I think they have changed their formula now though. But my acne is not as bad now—I just deal with extremely oily skin and large pores. What does help me is the St. Ives Apricot Scrub—for blemish & Black—I wash my face with it every morning and i use a gentle soap at night. You can use facial tissue to blot or if you have time you could wash your face half way through the day. I don’t use foundation either because it rolls off—but maybe a dermatologist could help you—-non have seemed to help me though.. best of luck.

posted about 5 years ago

ClassyCallisto
Style_council
ClassyCallisto

I feel your pain. I used to have some horrible skin. Acne ridden combination skin X.X I’ve used many things that didn’t work. My cousin gave me advice and told me my skin was so bad because I’ve used many different products. Turns out she was right. I stopped with all the products and figured that Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser is the best thing for me. It’s oil and alcohol free [I found out that the alcohol in the previous products I used were what was making my skin really oily] At first, my skin would be a little dry, but now it’s just fine.
I also use MAC’s oil control lotion. Which actually works for me. [It doesn’t dry out your skin, either]
And I use MAC’s Studio Fix foundation [powder]
My skin looks good for hours :)

But anywho. Everyone’s skin is different. So I wish you the best
:)

posted about 5 years ago

ThursdaysChild
Style_council
ThursdaysChild

you might also try a mask once a week or so. I use a medicated one, but clay masks, etc made for oily skin might help you out!

posted about 5 years ago

juju_noodle85
Style_council
juju_noodle85

try oxy maximum pads they are amazing!
also biore’ moisturizer! it leaves your skin moisturized but not oily at all!
for make up i use cover girl aqua smooth compact fondation to even out my skin tone them i top it of with covergirl compact powder and a little blush, its not alot of make up but it looks natural and beautiful!

posted about 5 years ago

fifiwonder
Style_council
fifiwonder

I had terrible skin in my mid twenties and was still getting serious breakouts in the run up to my 30th… however I then rediscovered Clinique and this time their anti blemish 3 step range. I still get the odd spot (usually down too over indulgence in sugar) but I swear by it. If a dermatologist isn’t an option I would recommend finding a good Clinique counter and talking to the reps there. I found one and she helped me heaps – working out all the different combinations that made up my skin type. Make sure you find a good rep – it’s free and tailored advice plus you’ll walk away with a load of free samples to try out too! Good luck

posted about 5 years ago

goin
Style_council
goin

from my experience (great skin until i developed really sensitive/over-dried/acne prone skin in my 20s), the best things to do are: drink a lot of water, get as much asleep as you can, see a doctor, exfoliate and moisturize well. cutting out processed foods and junk can help too, but i just won’t give that up haha.

hunting for the right products is so hard, but an exfoliator can be as simple as using crushed asprin and/or honey, or by going to a dermatologist and having him prescribe a Retin A cream. i personally exfoliate twice a week with a St. Ives Green Tea scrub, but it’s different for everyone (Retin A has been the best for me, just SUPER expensive in my case). also- even if your skin looks or feels fine (even oily), always always always moisturize. even if you don’t see results right away, diligence will pay off. good luck!

posted over 3 years ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

i have similar issues with my skin
i use milk of magnesia to absorb the oils in my face and it works really well
also i find that facial powders from the body shop look more natural and make me
break out way less than i used to

posted over 3 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

use a face wash that does not contain sodium laurel/laureth sulfate, its drying on the skin which can cause your face to produce more oils to make up for it. i actually only use face wash at night and wash my face with water only in the mornings. exfoliate either once or twice a week depending on your need, helps to get rid of dead skin and to regenerate new skin. Usually to exfoliate, I make an Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sugar scrub. Always moisturize! I use Olay complete in the AM, its a pretty simple product but i like it b/c it doesn’t make my face oily and it provides just enough moisture, i also really like aveeno positively radiant moisturizer. make sure your moisturizer has at least spf 15 to protect against uva/uvb rays
at night after I wash, i use toner: Merlot Grape seed toner (I love this stuff). It smells great, makes my skin feel nice and clean but doesn’t dry it out b/c it’s 100% alcohol free and all natural (whatever toner you use, make sure it doesn’t contain alcohol b/c alcohol is drying), then I rub Vitamin E oil into my skin. You can buy the oil in a small bottle or the capsules to eat and poke a hole in the capsules to get the oil.

How old are you by the way? I’m curious b/c depending on your age, it may just be that your skin will even out and get better on you at you grow older

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION