SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
yesiwillyes
Style_council
yesiwillyes

Does anyone have a favorite at home color? I am looking for an alternative to boost my color between salon visits. Something semi-perm, or a gloss for dark hair. I have tried John Frieda Glaze, but it doesn’t seem to be doing much. Thanks!

posted about 6 years ago
Minimaliste
Style_council
Minimaliste

I really really recommend NOT using anything from a drugstore that claims to change the colour of your hair in any way.
it’s incredibly damaging (even if it’s semipermanent) and will mess up the work your stylist has put into your hair. any outside chemical deposits will alter the way future chemicals affect your hair… so if you use a semipermanent drugstore colour, your stylist will have to do allover corrective colour instead of just touchups from your last visit. it’s expensive and bad for you. just invest in a good conditioner to keep your colour looking its healthiest between visits.

posted about 6 years ago

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

I wouldn’t mess with anything designed for virgin hair. Your hair might turn orange, purple or green!
If you really just need a boost between expensive salon visits, I would check out a local beauty school in your area. For the most part, the students know what they are doing… they are just building up their confidence so it takes them a little longer.

posted about 6 years ago

Style4TheCamera
Style_council
Style4TheCamera

i agree with hilary. i’m attending cosmetology school right now and drugstore color products have a lot of metal in their dyes which messes with the professional color lines at your salon.

most color lines sell semi-permanent or demi-permanent mousses and gels. if you search Goldwell Hair Color (we use this at school), they sell color mousses and gels to use in between salon visits. And I think they are fairly inexpensive. Good luck! :)

posted about 6 years ago

lmowbray
Style_council
lmowbray

totally agree with the above posts. many stylists that i work with, refuse to color hair that’s been dyed with home color. it’s soooo unpredictable, and is so incredibly damaging. i’ve used aveda’s color enriching conditioner, it deposits color to enhance & richen what you have until you’re next salon visit. here’s a link. It works really well, and if you go to their conditioners page, there are other products too for black hair too.

posted almost 6 years ago

blonderedhead
Style_icon
blonderedhead

the scary thing about at-home colors is that they don’t translate well to the salon. you can say “i got revlon’s fall brunette.” they’ll be like, “don’t plan on me matching it perfectly.” (and they’ll most likely charge you more for the inconvenience) even worse, if they don’t know the exact color you used, you’ll get a line of demarkation (aka big stupid line across your head that shows where old color was and new color begins)

leave it to the pros, and in between, use colored hair powder (bumble&bumble is awesome for this) and invest in color enhancing shampoo (l’oreal is the least expensive, decent quality brand i know of that makes this). and always CONDITION. it holds color in. avoid daily clarifying shampoos. they strip color away faster.

SingForAbsolution
Style_council
SingForAbsol...

try l’oreal professional colorist shampoo and conditioner. they are color depositing and sound like just what you need

paperdoll
Style_council
paperdoll

i go for l’oreal

lovelycontradictions
Style_council
lovelycontra...

go to a salon! it’s more expensive, but so worth it.
i found a few of the hair schools in calgary that have the students practice on people. When I go there it’s only like $20 and it’s not from the drugstore.
See if you can find anything like that where you are!

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

blond

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION