Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
hii_live
Style_council
hii_live

Okay. So.
My hair is a very dark mahogny-red color at the moment. The problem is, I’m a natural blonde, and in the summer time, I like my hair light and curly – very low maintance and looks fantastic after a swim in salt-water. I figured I should start now to have a nice color by the summer, but I don’t want to look like a carrot or a fake bleached-out barbie in the mean time! Also, I don’t really want my hair to fall of.

What steps should I take to get a nice, brass-free color?

And has any of you tried those silver-shampoos?

The color of my hair now (little less red, little more brown.. you get the idea)
The color I want

posted almost 5 years ago
oinky
Style_council
oinky

Only real way to strip the red color is with bleach..you could try a colour remover, but that will still leave it pretty orange, and to get blonde you’d have to bleach again.

My suggestion (I’m not a hairdresser, but I’ve had about 8 different hair colours over the past two years, and have used bleach all the time, so I’ve made all the mistakes you can make, and can now avoid them!) would be to:

1. Bleach your hair with NO HIGHER than a 30 vol. developer – do you know the basics of bleaching?
2. If you want it very light, maybe bleach again. This depends on the condition of your hair, and I would advise leaving it at least two weeks in between bleachings.
3. Tone your hair – you’ll have to get a violet or blue-based toner from a beauty supply store. My favourite is a mix of L’Oreal’s Luocolor in P01 and P02. These neutralise the yellow/brassiness in your blonde. You can only use toner when your hair has reached at least a banana yellow colour, preferably lighter. You mix this with a 10 or 20 vol.
4. Get a silver shampoo, they’re awesome! My personal favourite is Schwarzkopf Bonacure True Silver, but Shimmerlights, and the L’oreal Tech.expert silver one are good too.
5. Get a really good deep conditioner…something like Tigi’s Dumb Blonde Reconstructor, or the Kerastase Bain de Force range (it’s amazing!)

Of course you could also go the highlights route..I tend to avoid this because it’s really expensive where I live, and takes months to get a nice, light blonde. Red is incredibly difficult to remove from hair, I’ve been through it twice! If your hair is unhealthy, I would go to a salon for definite.

Good luck with whatever you choose! x

EDIT: Just saw the colour you want, I’d bleach to a pale-ish yellow then tone it!

posted almost 5 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

Good luck!

posted over 2 years ago

Rayy
Style_council
Rayy

bleach it..a lot

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION