SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Averleigh
Style_council
Averleigh

I have this issue where whenever I eat, all the fat goes to my arms. I have skinny legs and a flat stomach but my arms are the problem. I’m afraid of dumbbells because I don’t want to add on muscles in my arms. That’ll give me even bigger arms. Are there any ways to get rid of flabby arms? They’re the only part of my body that I’m self concious about.

posted almost 5 years ago
New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

To reduce the flabbiness, you have to shrink the fat cells in your arms and use your muscles. That means, you have to work them out. Don’t be scared of dumbbells, it really takes a lot of effort to get large bulging muscles. Start with small weights of 3 lbs and work up. I use 10 lb weights and I have to say that my muscles aren’t bulging.

Bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, push-ups, shoulder press, and bent-over rows are great for toning the arms.

Also, a general cardio workout schedule would increase the effectiveness of weight-training. Alternate days of weights and jogging…it should be helpful.

Averleigh
Style_council
Averleigh

Hm I will try lighter weights then! I have dance classes 4 days a week so that is cardio right? =] Thanks for the help!

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Ditto what oyitsjess said. ;)

for women it takes A LOT of effort to bulk up arms. Like, you’d have to work out several times a day, every day, with heavy weights, in a conscious attempt to do so. ;) doing some basic dumbell work will not give you huge man arms. it will just tone your arms. :) Women have more body fat than men, so it typically takes more work to get muscle definition.

Low weight, high repetition tends to burn more than bulk. The reverse (high weight, low reps) will bulk. You can try starting with 3lb or 5lb weights and doing hi-reps (like 2-3 sets of 10-20). If that’s too easy for you try 7-8lb weights. then 10lb, then 15lb and so on. pick up any fitness magazine and you’ll find the basic bicep, tricep and shoulder exercises.

If you want to do a sport instead, boxing is a great way to build killer arms and back without getting bulky. ditto for swimming, though in excess swimming will broaden the shoulders/back significantly. But usually you’d have to be like, training for a team or something for that to happen. I also know that many people have had good results with pilates.

Averleigh
Style_council
Averleigh

Thanks! I do have a whole pile of ripped out exercise tips from magazines but I never got around to doing them. I’ve heard pilates was great also. I’ll try that too.

sarah_is_radd
Style_council
sarah_is_radd

8-10 reps with a small weight is endurance training and builds lean muscles.
5-7 reps with larger weights is strength training and makes large bulging muscles.
You want to do the 8-10 with a small weight 3 times on each arm, per day, to get nice, lean arm muscles.

pammella
Style_council
pammella

I too encourage you to lift/use weights – you love the toning that will come. Know that you must stay with the routine…it takes time to tone, build muscle and see the benefits!

ladyj88
Style_council
ladyj88

if you really dont wanna use weights use the resistance bands/rope things i have one and i put it on my door grab both ends and do tricep extensions to keep that arm flab in check =]

Lizlicious
Style_council
Lizlicious

use smaller weights with more reps. just stick with it though! resistance bands also work really well for toning! good luck!

strawberrt
Style_council
strawberrt

i agree with using smaller weights with more reps. I use 3LB weights. After following magazine workouts for a while, I’ve noticed my arms are less flabby!

EKittyJ
Style_council
EKittyJ

This is useful for me as well, as I have flabby arms I hate. I heard that if you can’t afford weights using a 500ml – 1 lt bottle of water can be substituted as well? Is this true?

snow
Style_council
snow

^Yes, you could use a water bottle. You could use anything with some weight to it :)

EKittyJ
Style_council
EKittyJ

^ Thanks I’m gonna try it!! I got a few bottles around from where I travel a lot!

monae23
Style_council
monae23

push ups have really worked for me…

Kayyy
Style_council
Kayyy

definitely work them out!

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION