SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
silverphoenix
Style_council
silverphoenix

Hi! I’m not sure if this has been discussed on Chictopia, but the question addresses double-eyelids for asian girls. I’m Taiwanese, and possess a set of oh-so-very-lovely-single eyelids

For those who don’t know, double-eyelids is that crease you have on your eyes which makes your eyes look bigger, for those with singles you don’t have that crease and in general your eyes look smaller and a tad poofier.

I know a lot of girls have double-eyelid surgery:
http://www.gonomad.com/readuponit/uploaded_images/patient_asian1-731023.jpg

or use eyelid tape/glue/collagen strip.

what is your opinion on this? if you’re a double what do you think of singles? and if you’re singles how do you feel and are there any ways or tips you’d use to get double-eye lids via tape or glue?

posted over 4 years ago
houseofcards
Style_council
houseofcards

I’m half Chinese and I have double-eyelids. My mom has single-eyelids and also no eyelashes! I believe that women should always embrace what they were born with but I know Asian girls want to look more western and if one believes they will feel better about themselves if they get surgery (this goes for any kind of surgery in general) then it is their decision. Whatever makes you happy!

posted over 4 years ago

silverphoenix
Style_council
silverphoenix

I totally agree with that, I don’t think I’d personally get surgery for double eyelids but I know a lot of my friends ask me to get them eyelid glue and the likes when I go back to Taiwan.

One of the perks I find with single lids is that when you use false lashes they look really good just because the lid folds in so you don’t actually see the line where the false lashes and eyelids meld together!

posted over 4 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

I’m totally 0% Asian (just look at the pic), but I do have an opinion as a beauty consultant. I think the double-eyelid surgery is going too far. Nowadays, you have plenty of makeup tips to make Asian (single) eyes look bigger or at least stand out more. Also, the “cat eye” look (where you extend eye liner outward to a point) is very beautiful on single-eyelid gals. Singles can also wear a darker midtone shade (that is, 2 or 3 shades darker than the skin tone as opposed to just 1) for their eyes to add depth above the crease (or, if you have a thin enough brush, to “raise” the crease). Even the tape/glue is better than surgery. Why spend lots of $$ and risk coming out looking worse than you did when you came in because of a botched surgery? (<-that>s mostly a question I ask myself for the majority of cosmetic surgeries…except for maybe Bariatric Surgery…Is that even considered cosmetic?)

posted over 4 years ago

killbella
Style_council
killbella

i know in japan they have the cometic kit thing with glue stuff to make your eyelid higher up i saw it on youtube and it does make a difference

posted over 4 years ago

jo_branscomb
Style_council
jo_branscomb

Yea they sell it on ebay all the time but I really don’t see the big deal just accept who u are

posted over 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Also not Asian, but I just want to weigh in that I’ve never quite understood why so many people with single eyelids want so badly to change them. Maybe this is just proving my ignorance since I don’t have to confront the issue myself, but I don’t even really see the big difference between pre- and post- double eyelid surgery. (Well, I see it— but I don’t see how the “after” picture is necessarily more beautiful). Usually eyes with single lids have a very pretty almond shape; I can’t see what is so unappealing about them just not having a tiny crease above the eye.

I think most girls who do it nowadays do it because lots of Asian models and pop stars have the double eyelid, but it’s been suggested that the whole issue got started with the idea that looking beautiful is about looking less Asian/more Caucasian— an idea that scares me a lot! I’m especially concerned about the issue since I work with middle school girls in Japan, and while it’s not as popular as in Korea the surgery/tape/etc is still something a lot of Japanese girls end up doing. A lot of the girls compliment me on how big/blue/long-eyelashed my eyes are, and I always make sure to compliment theirs back, because big, small, almond, round, single-lidded, or double-lidded, they all have beautiful eyes. And I want them to know that they don’t need to change them to accept that they are beautiful.

As with any cosmetic surgery, when it comes down to each individual I think you should do whatever makes you feel confident and happy— so long as you are SAFE. But in the big picture I’d like to fight the idea that we should all strive to fit one ideal standard of beauty. Just because you weren’t born looking like the standard pop star or model doesn’t mean you are not beautiful.

posted over 4 years ago

tenoria
Style_council
tenoria

For the non-Asians gawking at the idea of eyelid surgery, I want to add how much social pressure there is on Asians with single-eyelids to change their looks. It’s not just a matter of “embracing yourself” when family members use eyelid surgery as a carrot for achievements and academic/career performance – things that are already highly stressed in Asian families. No joke, one of my Asian-American best friends in high school was offered eyelid surgery by uncles and aunts if she got into Harvard. For Asians in Asia, job competition is so fierce that looks frequently factor into hiring practices. In both Korea and Japan, there are services for photoshopping your mugshots on job applications.

As for the etiology of wanting double eyelids, I would caution against interpretations of it as “wanting to look Caucasian.” While there is definitely a thread of European = beautiful in many modern Asian beauty perceptions, double eyelids are an older tradition of beauty valuing the impression of larger eyes/innocence as beauty, particularly in women. Just as the long-standing Asian (also prevalent in other ethnicities/regions) preference for lighter skin has often been interpreted as “wanting to look white,” double eyelid envy has been conflated in foreign perceptions.

That said, I do not personally advocate eyelid surgery. As a double-eyelid Chinese, I haven’t felt the same social and familial pressures to undertake the surgery, but nor would I ever consider other cosmetic surgeries unless for reconstructive purposes after major accidental damage.

posted over 4 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

When I talk to my Japanese friends, the reasons for eyelid surgery are usually about aesthetic improvement (bigger eyes, etc) and celebrities— and they are more sympathetic to the idea of getting it. But my Asian-American friends usually consider it an issue of being in denial of one’s Asian identity and wanting to look Caucasian, which makes them extremely against it on an almost political level. (I imagine the surgery is less common amongst Asian-American women— does anyone know any statistics on that?). So I’ve been hearing a couple different interpretations of the same story. I think a lot of it depends on your background, as well as how you personally perceive the issue.

Trust me, I’m not denying the intensity of the social pressure! It’s crazy how much I’ve heard this issue discussed, both in the US and in Japan— and that’s why I was drawn to this thread. But I want to point out that if as an outsider I can barely see the difference, the absolute reality is surely not that double eyelids are actually more beautiful than single eyelids— merely that society says they are. (Which you all know already). It’s not any different from the way American culture distorts the ideal of a thin but impossibly curvaceous body.

And since social norms are not reality, they can be changed— and I feel like when they encourage potentially dangerous behavior, they ought to be. It’s probably because I work with kids (and everybody gets worked up when they see things affecting the very young) but it strikes a very strong emotional chord with me to know that because of this cultural standard of beauty, some of my students will go to great lengths and even put themselves in pain or danger to achieve the ideal— when as both a feminist and an outsider I can’t see why they would ever need to in the first place.

But I also feel that way about all cosmetic surgery on principle. I am equally unnerved by American teens who receive breast implants for their sweet sixteen or a nose job for their high school graduation— when they were so beautiful to begin with! I don’t believe women of any race, culture, or nationality need to go under the knife for the sake of a “perfect” face and figure. In my opinion, it’s our idea of one perfect objective beauty that needs cutting up and reshaping, not the bodies of women. Unfortunately, as we can clearly see with body issues in the US, changing social norms is much easier said than done. But in my opinion, it’s a fight worth fighting.

At risk of offending anyone, I do want to contest the implication that as a non-Asian I have no place in this discussion and am merely “gawking.” While yes, I cannot ever have direct personal experience with this, it is still an issue that has relevance to the lives of some of my peers, as well as those for whom I serve as a mentor and role model. It’s been enlightening and interesting to hear everyone else’s thoughts, and I figured it would only add to the discussion to contribute my own.

posted over 4 years ago

JessieSaurusRRex
Style_council
JessieSaurus...

I have single eyelids.
I’ve actually bought double eyelid tape, but I’ve discovered that I don’t really like them.
It’s a nuisance to wear and just doesn’t look right to me.
Everyone in my family has double eyelids, so I’ll probably get them soon.
But personally, I like my single eyelids.
Is it possible to prevent getting double eyelids?

posted over 4 years ago

xombie
Style_council
xombie

I’ve always thought single eyelids were beautiful!

I have double eyelids and I always have the issue of my eye make up messing up because the crease in my eyelid smudges it.

I think having surgery for it is ridiculous, embrace what ever eyelids you got and work ’em. C:

posted over 4 years ago

cursed_kross
Style_council
cursed_kross

I’m Korean and have single eyelids. I’ve been wanting to get the double eyelid surgery for the past few years now, though its not at the top of my to-do-list. I have two reasons for wanting to get it, neither of which is so that I can look more Caucasian. One of the reasons is because of my single eyelids my eye lashes tend to grow downwards and a lot of times they start to turn into my eyeball. A lot of times I’ll end up plucking 3-7 lashes trying to get rid of the one thats hurting me. The main reason is because I know with the crease I look more awake and happy. I don’t think that getting the surgery really makes a person’s eye all that larger looking. More that its able to get rid of some of the heaviness and give a slightly more rounded look. There have been times when I’ve been with friends/family and even though I’m having a good time they think I look tired or sad. I’ve done the temporary double eyelid glue and even though they didn’t notice I had a crease, which is fine since I’m doing it for myself not for them, they pointed out that I seemed more awake and happier.

I think the tape and glue are good for seeing if you for sure want to get the surgery or not. They still cost a bit of money over time. They can actually cause your eye lid skin to wrinkle/get loose prematurely, which may result in you needing to get surgery latter on anyways depending how you feel about that. Not to mention it’s kind of embarrassing when one eye starts to either un-glue or one end of the tape starts to stick out XD

I think with any cosmetic surgery it should be about the person’s happiness. In most cases I don’t think its about looking like a different nationality. Some of the things others say about double eyelid surgery makes it sound like thats the defining factor of how Asian we are. That all Asians should have single lids. When really it should be how we celebrate our culture and incorporate it into our everyday lives.

posted over 4 years ago

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

I’m Asian with natural double-eyelids. Come to think of it, I remember my mom talking about my double-eyelids a lot when I was younger, telling me I was lucky and some people go through surgery for it. I can see it as more than a beauty issue in Asian society.
But on the whole trying to look Caucasian topic, notice that Asians value these beauty traits: double-eyelids (ie. big eyes), tallness, tall nose, light skin. Based on those four traits, I’d imagine a Caucasian person.

posted over 4 years ago

AllisonRyan
New_user AllisonRyan is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When AllisonRyan reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
AllisonRyan

I have single eyelids. I am 3rd generation Asian-American on both sides, and my dad was born in America and survived Japanese-American internment camps. He also had single eyelids, but about 15 years ago, he had to have blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) because after gravity has been pulling THAT long, and age causes the skin to lose elasticity, it results in you no longer being able to hold your single eyelids up. The surgery was deemed medically necessary and was not for aesthetic reasons.

My opinion on the topic is that I believe that as long as they’re not hurting anyone, people should do what makes them happy, and if having double eyelids will make you happy, so be it!

Like my dad, I will embrace my single eyelids until I can no longer hold them open!

posted over 1 year ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

I have double eyelids. I think it’s very sad that Asian women feel the need to change their bodies to look Western :/ the idea of a world standard of beauty is just frightening.

posted over 1 year ago

silverphoenix
Style_council
silverphoenix

Hey ladies!
I just realized it’s been 3 years since I’ve asked this question and I think it’s fate that you girls have brought me back to this topic as I’m writing my final paper regarding the controversy regarding blepharoplasty and the cultural stigma of sterotypical perception (ie. Many people think Asians get double eyelid surgery to look more Western, but many East Asian girls don’t see it that way). In any case, I may just post a link up with my essay once it’s done if anyone’s interested ;)

posted over 1 year ago

gwynethbg
Style_council
gwynethbg

michelle phan had a method i stumbled upon a couple of months back making use of eyelid tape or eyelash glue… you can search it on youtube… <3

posted over 1 year ago

houseofcards
Style_council
houseofcards

I’d love to read your essay silverphoenix!

posted about 1 year ago

KimEunMi
Style_council
KimEunMi

I know a lot of Asians hate monolids, but I don’t even notice eyelids so I don’t really care!

And I don’t understand why people think Asians are trying to look Western. If you look online, most Asians say that they don’t get plastic surgery to look Western.

posted about 1 year ago

debiparna_c
Style_council
debiparna_c

i have single .. and short spiky lashes..but i am more than ok with them..never getting surgery done on my eyelids!

posted about 1 year ago

Princess12k
New_user Princess12k is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Princess12k reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Princess12k

I heard double eyelid tape causes wrinkles.

posted about 1 year ago

JillianOwens
Style_council
JillianOwens

Odd to see this today, as I was on Reddit earlier and noticed a young lady who was visiting their suicide watch subreddit. She got the surgery and her boyfriend found out when they were a few months into their relationship – he LOST IT! Poor girl gets yelled at about how fake she is and what not. He feels deceived and what not and I just don’t get it?!

How could you be angry at someone who is correcting a problem, like saggy eyelids? It’s not like you changed your whole face, just the eyelids. It helps your vision for Pete’s sake.

I could see certain people wishing someone were to stay true to their heritage and natural aspects of their image, but sometimes the procedure needs to be done. I’m all for it.

posted 9 months ago

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

I’m excited to read your essay! My mother had single eyelids and went through surgery so she could have double eyelids. I honestly don’t think it makes a big of a difference (she looks almost the same to me), so I’m not sure single/double eyelids have any effect on your appearance.

posted 9 months ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION