SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
mayfaircalling
Style_council
mayfaircalling

Hey everybody! This is just kind of a general question that I should probably already know the answer to. AND I’m sure it’s been answered here before, but I didn’t find anything.

SO, I have really dark brown hair and wanted to dye it a lighter color. I have to bleach first, then dye my hair the color I want? I need details on the bleaching process… Any tips from anyone who has done it before? Does my hair need to be way way way light before I dye it?

And once it IS dyed the color I want, how do I fix my roots? Same process all over again???

I know that bleaching and dyeing is horrible for my hair… but my hair is pretty resilient. The only part of this that scares me is the bleaching part.

posted over 5 years ago
RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

Please go to a professional. I completely damage my hair last year using the dye from the box. Bleaching is very complex and you need a lot of patience and money. It cost me 150 plus tip to get my hair dyed. I have very dark hair, almost black, it’s not a medium brown with blonde highlights.

posted over 5 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I’ve seen Garnier hair dye that is made for people with dark hair if they want to go lighter brown (not blonde). I don’t know if I’d trust it, but it’s there. And supposedly L’Oreal makes a good (only semi-damaging) bleach, but I haven’t tried it because I’ve never had the serious desire to bleach my hair and I don’t use those brands.

posted over 5 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I have really dark brown hair too and have dyed it lighter a few times. You don’t need to bleach it if you are going just two shades lighter (like a 4 to a 6) and bleaching is terrible for your hair anyway.

Anyway, every time I’ve dyed it lighter (I’ve even used the special kind for people with dark hair) my hair always turned reddish after a while. I don’t have a natural red tint to it, so it was weird. What I would suggest is dying it the light brown shade and then using a toner or semi-permanent dye if the color changes after a while.

Think about it first though. When I had lighter brown hair I often got asked if I was in high school yet (I’m almost 21), and now that I went back to my natural color no one gives my boyfriend weird looks for being a pedophile :)

posted over 5 years ago

RadioCure
Style_council
RadioCure

Based on countless at home bleaching disasters I’ve seen varying from allergic reactions, burning scalps, silver and orange striped hair, and hair starting to fall out (from bleaching too much); I don’t recommend it.

I know it’s expensive to go to a good salon and get your hair coloured, but it’s worth it to avoid the heartbreak of at home hair dyeing gone bad. It’s easier for a hairstylist to do a good job the first time then to fix a mess made by a botched bleaching.

posted over 5 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

Agreed — go to a good stylist. I have naturally dark brown (nearly black) hair, and – from my experience – dying straight out of the box works for single colors (like a deep auburn), but not if you want subtle highlights or tints, as well. If the price seems a bit steep, perhaps you can wait until your birthday or a major holiday and see if someone else will pay for it as a gift.

posted almost 5 years ago

chloie
Style_council
chloie

i wanted to do this.. i dyed my hair a blonde color to make it lighter and my dark brown hair got DARKER. aggrivating. go to a salon. bleaching seems like it sucks

sweetciara
Style_council
sweetciara

yeaahh same,
hey do anyone know what color this is…

http://cdn.sheknows.com/celebsalon/2008/05/tyra-banks-cw-upfront-curly-highlighted-hairstyle.jpg”;

check it out

Kayyy
Style_council
Kayyy

i think you should stay dark brown.

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION