SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ohgemma
Style_council
ohgemma

I’m sick of straightening my hair all the time, so I was thinking about getting my hair chemically straightened. But I’m a bit worried my hair will end up like straw… Has anyone had any experience with chemical straightening? Or just know anything about it? Hehe.

posted about 4 years ago
JjMmMm
Style_council
JjMmMm

If you think about it , your hair will grow out eventually and half of it will still be straight, just like when you color it and it grows. I found this on a website about how it can damage your hair…

Will Chemical Straightening Damage Hair?

Chemical hair straightening except in rare cases will damage the hair. It also can not be reversed so that you can instantly recover your natural curls or waves. You will have to wait for your hair to grow out at the roots to return to your natural textures.

Also, you may need to have the chemical straightened hair cut off if you decide not to have the roots retouched with chemical straightening solution.

posted about 4 years ago

HarlowNoir
Style_council
HarlowNoir

try to google “brazlian blowout” and read up on that and then see if there is a salon in your area that does it! it actually improves your hair…gets rid of frizz and u can still curl it and such!

posted about 4 years ago

tenoria
Style_council
tenoria

Seconding the brazilian blowouts! Much better for your hair than chemical straightening, and also cheaper to maintain.

posted about 4 years ago

Joana_Afonseca
Style_council
Joana_Afonseca

I´ve straightened my hair 3 times already at the salon… They used other products now that don´t put your hair stiff mine was kind of wavy but you´ve got to do the treatment several times… And it looks really natural… But don´t use relaxant on your hair… I watched “Good Hair” the documentary, and that thing is nasty, it can burn your scalp :s… but that will make it stiff..

posted about 4 years ago

Joana_Afonseca
Style_council
Joana_Afonseca

Oh yeah and I stopped doing it and now my hair come back to normal again… But it´s fine, I like it again… So no it´s not permanent..

posted about 4 years ago

ljurbanchic
Style_council
ljurbanchic

i have a relaxer in my hair, i’ve had for 2 or 3 years now. its true-the chemicals used can burned your scalp, but not if done by an experienced smart stylist (the way that it burns your scalp is if its left in your hair for too long, and if there’s not enough grease on your scalp before hand to protect it from the relaxer). Some people think im crazy-and many of you might think so too-but if you had the hair situation i used to (my hair was EXTREMELY thick, constantly nappy, and hard to handle. there were few styles i could do with it, unless i wanted to spend 30 mins to an hour straightening it. im pretty tender headed and just combing through it hurt so much. and every time it got even the slightest bit wet-it would poof up like a poodle’s fur!), so finally, being that i was fed up with all this-i decided to get the relaxer. Im all for natural hair-i think it beautiful. But for me getting the relaxer was simply for convenience and to make my life easier-and to give me more styling options! and it has done all of those things. i get it relaxed about every 6 months (with the same stylist-who i trust and always does a good job). and no-my hair is not like straw! its now finally smooth and soft; the way i always wanted it to be. and my hair is still just as healthy as the next girls. here are a few Do’s and Don’ts for getting your hair chemically straightened:
DON’T do an at home relaxer/chemical straightening. when i was about seven, my mom gave me a children’s at home relaxer-it ended up making a couple inches of my hair fall out! ALWAYS go to a professional experienced hair stylist-especially if its your first time.
DO use special conditioners and shampoos that help treat and heal your scalp if you do decide to get it chemically straightened. regular ones work fine too (i use Head n Shoulders and Dove), but specially made ones can help keep you hair and scalp healthy even if its chemically straightened.
hope this all helps! :)

posted about 4 years ago

LowerEast
Style_council
LowerEast

I’ve been relaxing my hair ever since I was about 12 and I have to say I don’t have any horror stories. I normally go to a salon and the process usually is followed by a deep conditioner but on numerous occassions my mom will do it with the at home kits. My stylists tells me which products to use at home if I need to do a touch up and i dont have the straw hair after effect nor do I get burns/scars. By limiting the amount of heat styling done on a regular basis, getting regular trims and using conditioning hair products my hair has remained quite healthy over the years despite the major chemical process that I do no more than 3 times year. One thing to mention is that I do not dye my hair which can dramatically increase the amount of damage.

I know a lot of buzz has been going around about the brazillian straightening treatment or the keratin stuff but from what I have heard is it reduces the effect of humidity on your hair not altering the hairs actual texture which may not make it more manageable. I think the trick is to pick a routine with the help of a professional and stick to it and the amount of damage done to your hair will be minimal.

posted almost 4 years ago

browneyes
Style_council
browneyes

No, don’t do it, a girl i knew did it and to cut most of her hair since it got very dry… and you’ll have to do the roots again, it’s not worth it

Dontyouevah
Style_council
Dontyouevah

One of my best friends got her hair chemically straightened last summer. She paid quite a substantial amount for it but the results were great and her hair wasn’t damaged at all. That being said, she generally really takes care of her hair, trimming it often and doing regular conditioning treatments…
I think if you go to a professional person to do it, and you care for your hair properly, it should be fine :) My friend is getting it done again this summer since her roots are growing out, but if you don’t like them you could always straighten over them which is what you would be doing without the chemical treatment anyway!

xxmidnightkisses
Style_council
xxmidnightki...

my sister & cousin have gotten it chemically straighten but the first time they did it, they didnt take care of it much so it got really dry but when my sister got it the second time it was much better because she went to a better salon & took her time taking care of her hair, so it’s all nice, straight & shiny! :)

she gets it done at least 2 every year.

lulzkay92
Style_council
lulzkay92

I had my hair chemically straightened back in summer 08.. however I found that I still had to run my straighteners through my hair to get desired results (not as much as I used to though). My hair has KIND OF lost it’s natural texture yet I’m happy with the way it is now (my hair stays straight when I straighten it.. and the curls are soft and wavy) However I have started to get grey hairs and I’m not sure if that’s from relaxing or from dying my hair (even though I’ve only dyed it twice since relaxing)..Your hair will feel like straw sometimes if you don’t take care of it properly.. make sure you condition it well and don’t straighten it dry make sure your hair is damp etc. :) I do and don’t regret relaxing it.. I’ve come to love my natural hair curls now:)

xx

REPLY TO DISCUSSION