SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
harloww
Style_council
harloww

So I’ve been thinking about dyeing my hair (yet again) and I was wondering if anybody has any tips for using at home box dyes. I’m thinking going lighter. I’ve only gone darker before with box dyes, I usually leave the lighter shades up for my friends who have gone to beauty school.
I unfortunately can’t really afford to pay $60 just to have my hair lightened a couple shades. Any box dye pros?

posted over 5 years ago
ohgemma
Style_council
ohgemma

I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard that at-home dyes for going lighter aren’t all that great – something about the bleach not being strong enough to lift all the colour from your hair, and ending up with a brassy, orange colour.
If you have fairly light hair already, its possibly ok.

posted over 5 years ago

harloww
Style_council
harloww

Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. I guess I could always try going darker.

posted over 5 years ago

MeowQuack
Style_council
MeowQuack

I used to dye my hair a couple of times and my sister just dyed hers.
The only advice I have is that it’s really helpful to have someone help you (like I did when my sister dyed her hair). This way you’ll know that you have dye everywhere, esp if you have long hair.

i’ve heard that you can test the dye on a small part of you hair to see how long you want to leave it in your hair to get the color you want.

posted over 5 years ago

harloww
Style_council
harloww

Yeah that’s a good idea. I think I might try that and if it looks really bad for an all over color, it’s good to know I can always dye it darker. I had my friend dye my hair before and he gave me horrible highlights so I’ve had to do that before.

posted over 5 years ago

bethanwithlove
Style_council
bethanwithlove

My hair is naturally mousey brown and I tried a lighter colour and it did go a bit brassy/orangy like ohgemma said, but since I’ve done it darker brown and it was great. I did need two boxes though as my hair is quite long and thick and someone always does it for me…:]

posted over 5 years ago

JessFalkinder
Style_council
JessFalkinder

going darker is always easier – especially with box dyes, but its really hard to go light again after going dark – you would need to go to a professional to re-lighten it so you don’t go brassy. But Im all for the dark hair!!! Mine is almost black at the moment (home dye job too!) and I loving it. and I think it would suit you. :) Its nice to stand out from your friends sometimes too.

posted over 5 years ago

harloww
Style_council
harloww

I definitely love my hair dark brown as well as really light brown, so it’s hard for me to choose between the two! It’s starting to get sunny out though and my hair naturally gets lighter so I might wait and see. Also, the longer I wait the more money I can save for a professional job. I’m just never excited about the upkeep.

posted over 5 years ago

LadyAshMarie
Style_council
LadyAshMarie

ugh I had box dye do weird things on me…and it never stays in my hair so I am forced to spend ridiculous amounts of money on professional dye jobs LOL

posted over 5 years ago

DinaSBurroughs
Style_council
DinaSBurroughs

I’ve been dying my own hair for about 10 years and it’s a piece of cake! Everyone is right though, it’s near impossible to go lighter from a box, depending on how dark your hair is currently dyed. (Mine’s black now and I’m going to have to get it bleached out when I go lighter.) The good news is once you pay for it to be professionally lightened, you can upkeep it on your own no problem. I’m not sure how long your hair is, but there are root touch up kits that work really well if that ends up being more economical for you. Another idea if you’re not going platinum or just trying to gradually lighten it on your own would be to try Sun-In… but that kind of dries out your hair and some people can have a lot of breakage with it.

One awesome tip for dying at home though – before you start, smear conditioner around your hair line and on your ears and neck. It does a pretty good job of preventing goofy looking dye stains on your skin!

posted over 5 years ago

zombelle
Style_council
zombelle

I always colour my own hair and it’s so much fun. I also get comments from people who are trained and licensed to colour hair that it looks professional and I should be a colourist. XD

So, I say go for it! I use Garnier for when I go ginger and I can’t remeber the other brand I used for when I coloured my hair purple and black.

posted over 5 years ago

allys_n
Style_council
allys_n

I color my own hair too, but my hair is naturally dark brown. Before, my hair would never pick up the color and it’d only show when the sun was shining or the color was already fading. But I started to use Clairol’s Perfect 10 Hair Dye and it’s seriously working. I dyed my hair to a reddish hue and it’s actually showing up. :)

posted over 5 years ago

nancywanted
Style_council
nancywanted

I’ve lightened my hair after going dark using box dyes and I would be cautious. The dye turned my hair the lighter brown color I wanted but it looked very rusty/brassy in sunlight which I hated. After a month or so I ended up just going dark about because I couldn’t stand it anymore. The box dye will definitely work but it might not look as polished as you might like it to.

posted over 5 years ago

Katy90
Style_council
Katy90

I coloured my hair too, (at home). I have watch several youtube videos this might be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/user/kandeejohnson?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/118/fv2Io96heJU

posted over 5 years ago

DinaSBurroughs
Style_council
DinaSBurroughs

I love Kandee! She’s awesome. :o)

posted over 5 years ago

goldenkagi
Style_council
goldenkagi

Box dyes never really gave me the color I want. I have brown to black hair, and the brown or red dyes I put on only seemed to appear in the sunlight. Real hard to go lighter with box dyes. Best of luck!

posted over 5 years ago

LadyAshMarie
Style_council
LadyAshMarie

my problem is that my hair for some reason doesnt hold box dye at all…it washes out within a week even when I pick permanent dyes. Salon dye jobs seem to last much longer idk if they use something stronger or if its a different process but I wish I could find something that stayed so I could do it at home it would be way cheaper.

posted about 5 years ago

harloww
Style_council
harloww

My hair is light to medium brown. So it’s not really super dark to begin with, but I just feel like it’s such a boring brown and I want a change. My friend has dyed it a couple times before (I haven’t dyed it in over a year) and it never turned out to be that great, even though he went to beauty school and has been doing hair for awhile. So that kind of made me lose confidence in him and in dying my hair in general, but I want to give it a go again.

Okay, another take on this question guys:
What about doing your hair yourself, BUT using professional products? I did that before in high school. It’s still diy hair, but not the stuff in the box. Or would you leave it to the professionals? Those products still have directions on them.

posted about 5 years ago

browneyes
Style_council
browneyes

you need to bleach to lighten your hair, and then apply the dye of the color you want (though if you want something like platinum blonde you’ll have to bleach several times and wait between bleaching sessions) and buy the stuff from Sally’s

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION