Relaxation is the most desired benefit of aromatherapy. People crave respite from the stresses that fill our daily lives. Aromatherapy is a way to reward ourselves simply and effectively with fragrant, natural substances that nourish mind, body and spirit.
Essential oils that help us achieve a state of relaxation include: chamomile, benzoin, bergamot, cedarwood, clary sage, frankincense, geranium, jasmine, lavender, neroli, patchouli, rose, sandalwood and ylang ylang.
- Add 3 to 5 drops of 1 or 2 of these essential oils oil to your bath to infuse a soothing message.
- Promote relaxation and sleep by placing 2 to 4 drops of essential oils on your pillow.
- Choose chamomile for its calming and soothing effects.
- Clary sage has a powerful relaxing effect that is enhanced with melissa essential oil.
- Neroli is excellent for treating spontaneous episodes of anxiety and panic.
- Lavender and marjoram enhance eachother and have a calming and sedative effect.
- Add lavender to neroli and clary sage to petitgrain to promote their respective sedative effects.
- Marjoram is wonderfully calming to the nervous system.
- Use petitgrain oil in a bath to benefit from its relaxing effect.
1. Avoid clary sage in pregnancy and do not use alcohol.
2. Avoid marjoram if you are pregnant.
3. Use marjoram in low 1% dilutions.
4. Avoid the sun and use of sunlamps for at least 6 hours after using orange, neroli, petitgrain oils due to an increased sensitivity to the sun.
5. Do not apply essential oils directly to the skin
6. Consult your physician and an aromatherapist prior to using essential oils if you are pregnant.