Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

I like Forever 21 a lot, but I won’t say that when I buy there clothes that I am without a little bit of guilt.

How do you feel?

Find out more!

Suits are suddenly hot item for retailer: Forever 21 is accused of copyright violations in 22 filings.
http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/legal-services-litigation/5512289-1.html

IS FOREVER 21 THE FASHION INDUSTRY NAPSTER?
http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/style/2009/04/13/is-forever-21-the-fashion-industrys-napster/

FASHION EMPIRE BY ANY MEANS
http://blog.angryasianman.com/2011/01/forever-21-fashion-empire-by-any-means.html

posted over 3 years ago
LoveItShop
Style_council
LoveItShop

I used to shop there in ’00 and ’01, but not anymore. The quality of the clothes is bad and wasteful b/c they end up fulling apart…. also the things you posted above have made me not like them even more. Their buyers come into the vintage store I work at (once a week) and I am freaked out they will knock off my jewelry designs that I sell there!!! It freaks me out. I am a one woman show, who works her butt off… and if I see a knockoff of my jewelry I will scream!!!

posted over 3 years ago

ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

I have some friends that only swear by
1. buying second hand or
2. buying from companies that are cited to have ethical practices like American Apparel.

I am not definitely a moral shopper. If I really knew where my clothes came from, I am not sure if I would buy it.

posted over 3 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I also feel conflicted when buying from stores like f21 but its really the only ones I can afford

posted over 3 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

shwoo…this is tough. I wish I could say I was a moral shopper, but when you’re on a hardcore budget, it’s hard. and while i’m strongly against knockoffs like faux louis vuittons and whatnot…I guess I really eat up stores like forever21.

not to say i live off them, though, certainly. I’m a vintage/thrift girl through and through. most of my wardrobe is probably worth thousands, but I work my butt off to make the whole lot worth about a hundred…so I suppose in the end, I don’t really give the companies like f21 the money they deserve, since I never spend more than, say, ten bucks!

posted over 3 years ago

ohlivia
Style_council
ohlivia

I agree with boredstephanie and chicchica_bonita. I try to buy secondhand/vintage (ahem, Goodwill, ahem) but for jewelry I usually end up at F21 for the simple reason that I’m not quite old enough to have a job. Sigh. Please end, age fourteen.

posted over 3 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i appreciate that i can afford things but some of their stuff just falls apart. i think fashion is meant to be observed and imitated but i guess not to the extent that they’ve done so. either way, people who can’t afford designer won’t save up just to splurge on one piece anyway.

posted over 3 years ago

KaylaMeow
Style_council
KaylaMeow

I used to love their clothes but i am not so crazy bout them anymore now. And after reading whay you posted, I dont feel like going into their stores now.

posted over 3 years ago

ReineRobot
New_user ReineRobot is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When ReineRobot reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
ReineRobot

I try my best to shop morally. Currently, I only buy from second hand shops and from ethical and moral companies that i research before I purchase. No child labour, sustainable supplies used in productions, fair wages and workers rights etc….

Forever 21 has had a number of lawsuits against them (you listed a few that are good examples) as well as the owner promoting her christian faith through her packaging, which I personally find a bit offensive. I don’t purchase clothing to be inundated with propaganda about the religious affiliation of the company.

Of course that is my personal opinion.

posted over 3 years ago

laurenkay
Style_council
laurenkay

honestly the idea of complete and total original design is rather silly. designers, writers, artists, etc subconscious take from others all the time. its how consumers get a diverse product line. do I think there is anything wrong with them reproducing something….no….it boils down to who can advertise the idea better. that’s the real world, ladies. immoral? possibly. will it ever change? Nope. people are still going to shop at those stores because it is convenient.

posted over 3 years ago

elyon61
Style_council
elyon61

I no longer shop at Forever21, not because they knock off designs, but because of questionable labor practices. I’m trying to buy mostly vintage and second-hand right now, because I think it’s the most environmentally and ethically sensible thing to do.

posted over 3 years ago

EdenInspire
New_user EdenInspire is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When EdenInspire reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
EdenInspire

I work there and I absolutely live it! They have done of the cutest things

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I really couldn’t care at all if they knock off designs—but unfair labor practices, that’s something to be upset about. at the same time, though, I feel like most major companies have their fair share of labor practice issues. Gap, which is much more expensive and less stylish, but has that “all-american company” feel, used CHILD sweatshops. that’s pretty messed up, and they don’t even have the cheap, bad image that F21 does.
It’s almost unavoidable unless you’re willing to spend hundreds on clothes—as a college student on a budget, this is just not feasible. I hate to be jaded about these things, but I doubt I would like any organic 100% hemp, reduced-carbon-footprint, U.S.-made clothes because chances are I wouldn’t like the clothes. I’ve tried vintage and second-hand clothes, but I can’t find any that I like at all. places like buffalo exchange are cool, but if they have F21 and Gap clothes, then what’s the difference? the fact that someone decided to sell it so the second-hand store can resell it? I donate all my old clothes, so I’m not the person who would toss them anyway.

posted over 3 years ago

HerPhantasmagoria
Style_council
HerPhantasma...

I used to shop at F21 all the time a few years back. Most of their things hold up for me with delicate handling. I don’t shop there any more for a variety of reasons. Morally, I cannot abide by their labor practices (which means I hardly buy anything new anywhere). I also don’t support appalling cultural appropriation and F21 is a big at appropriating.

Moral shopping can be done, though you have to realize that capitalism wins no matter how you purchase material items. Fair trade clothing is a nice idea (there are a whole host of producers now online and the clothing can be pretty nice). Finding fabrics that are made locally (or aren’t made in unfair labor conditions) and making your own is another. Of course if you’re on a budget, a lot of this can be pricey. second-hand is the easiest solution, really.

posted over 3 years ago

styleforeplay
Style_council
styleforeplay

i try my hardest to stray away but i work around a college student budget so there are times taht i do purchase from f21. im really picky though so its very rare.

posted about 3 years ago

MissMeggo
Style_council
MissMeggo

I’m going to repeat what everyone else said. I think the best way to shop morally if on a budget is through second hand. I personally love Goodwill. I can think of several instances where I have desperately looked for something on line and in stores and been unable to find them in a price I wanted, only to walk into goodwill a few days later and stumble upon it within minutes.
Something that hasn’t been said is small boutiques. I live in a city with lots of entrepreneurial boutiques that are locally owned, run, and made and (even though they do sometimes run expensive) it’s a good way to know where you’re money is going because it’s staying in the community.

posted about 3 years ago

iliketosleep
New_user iliketosleep is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When iliketosleep reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
iliketosleep

I used to shop there a couple years ago, but there are multiple reasons why i don’t anymore
1.) Tacky. Like sometimes i will buy a cardigan or ttank top, but everything else is pretty ugly
2.) Quality is crap. I bought a tank once, and in one wash, it got a hole in the middle of the chest area
3.) In my area, they just opened one up, meaning all the trashy people i know now shop there, and i don’t want to be known as trashy…heh heh ?
4.) I don’t like wearing the same cothes as other people. VINTAGE SHOPPING ALL THE WAYYYY!!!

posted about 3 years ago

illq
Style_council
illq

i dont shop at forever21 much there quality is really bad, except for jewelry and stuff i think it’s fine.

posted about 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION