Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
twinkl
Shop_seller_2 twinkl is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
twinkl

Yeah, so I grew up with tv cartoons (Spiderman, X-Men, Batman…) and have seen basically all comic book movies since Spiderman came out in 2001 (though I didn’t bother with Fantastic 4’s sequel). I especially loved the stylized treatment of Frank Miller’s graphic novels (Sin City, 300). So, I can’t help but buy into all the hype over Watchmen, known within the comic book community as the greatest graphic novel in the history of comics.

Are you a comic fan, and are you hyped up about the movie opening tomorrow midnight? Will you be going all out and dressing up? Have you been excited enough to dress up for any movie opening? Harry Potter perhaps?

I’m considering forcing my friends to wear white t-shirts with symmetrical Rorschach blotches on them… I’m all for the obvious, simple, easy costumes that get the point across with very little effort. :)

posted over 5 years ago
poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

I didn’t read the comics but I’m STILL excited to go !
I mean, it’s a graphic novel with English writers, for one thing, and every article i’ve read in magazines about the making of the film (not to mention photographs of the costumes – oh my!) makes me think i’ll love it.

… wait, why have i NOT read Watchmen ?

PS when i learnt that Rorschach was the psychologist who invented the ink-blot personality test, i thought it was so cool. God, i suck.

posted over 5 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I’d never heard of it before the film and usually I’ll give any film of the comic book genre a watch, but then I read a review which basically said that it’s a terrible film with only one good scene, so I think I’ll wait until either it comes out on DVD and someone else buys it or wait a few years longer until it comes out on TV. I don’t want to risk paying for it myself and then finding out it’s a load of crap.

posted over 5 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

GO SEE IT!!!!! :D

posted over 5 years ago

prettycake
Style_council
prettycake

it’s very graphic. a couple of my friends are going to see it in imax but i’m not sure i want to see it on such a big screen. overall, it’s excellent though!

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

I thought it was really good, but i’ve not yet read the graphic novel so i have nothing to compare it to.

The sex was so cheesy that i wanted to laugh (c’mon, Hallelujah in the background?) and the soundtrack annoyed me, but those are the only two real criticisms i had.

posted over 5 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

@poorandweird

OMG! HAHAHA I thought the same thing in the sex scene.
It was like unnecessarily long and SOOO cheesy. HIP THRUST!
Soundtrack was not great either thats true.
I hated Simon & Garfunkel’s The Sound of Silence during The Comedian’s funeral.
But I LOVE that song! Classic song. So that’s why I hated — such an obvious choice..why not bother play The Beatles’ Yesterday?

posted over 5 years ago

twinkl
Shop_seller_2 twinkl is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
twinkl

The soundtrack effectively gave it a very 80’s vibe, which is an important part of the whole story/movie—it’s set in the 80’s, and was a revolutionary comic in the 80’s. SO although I didn’t like a lot of the songs, every decision made sense.

I’ve read the graphic novel and I didn’t feel very strongly about it. So for me, the movie enhanced the whole experience and enriched my understanding of the alternate reality of the Watchmen world. I can see how some parts may seem random for someone who’s never read the comic though. So, I suggest reading it first.

Overall, I found myself actively engaged in the visuals. The production crew labored over every detail and prop, so there are a lot of goodies for those interested.

One particular scene stood out in my mind though: In Adrian Veidt’s (Ozymandias) office, when he’s getting his pictures taken with the press and he’s talking about how he’s commercialized his superhero image, there’s one shot where his face is framed against his window and you see the NY Skyline, including World Trade Centers, in the background with the Veidt blimp. The blimp is (what I think) deliberately creeping towards the WTC towers, and chillingly evokes 9/11. That’s the moment the film helped make the themes of the book relevant to today’s times for me.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

^^ i liked the use of popular music from the 1980s, because it fitted in nicely with the period in which it was set etc. etc. … but it was the placement of the songs that i found weird… for example, two people having a meal together and 99 luftballons is on really loudly in the background ?

posted over 5 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

Yeah I was not thrilled with obvious/awkward choices of music on it.

posted over 5 years ago

prettycake
Style_council
prettycake

i love the book but haven’t seen the movie yet.

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

I just finished the book yesterday.

The filmmakers stuck to it well, i felt, even though they left out some of the side stories (e.g. not going into the origins of Rorschach’s mask), and changing the ending a little… which seemed pretty reasonable. It’s not as though they took huge liberties and changed the plotline beyond recognition.

posted over 5 years ago

Bouby
Style_council
Bouby

Shame on me, I’ve not seen it yet.
As woohoo, I grew up with comic books, but I never read this one .
I plan to go watch it soon with my brothers.
Thx woohoo and poorandweird for your reviews, I so need to watch it now.

posted over 5 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

thefieldsofe...

Just saw Watchmen on Sunday. Verdict: amazing. Although I do agree with poorandweird that the placement choices of the ’80s songs were jarring.

Favorite character (based on the movie alone, as I have yet to read the graphic novel): Ozymandias. Hands down.

By the way, has anyone seen Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter & Under the Hood yet?

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

Hard to articulate, but i didn’t think much of Silk Spectre in the film, whereas she had a lot more of a backstory in the graphic novel.

posted over 5 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

i saw it last weekend! i quite enjoyed it, although it was really long! haha.. i have never read the comic but i’m quite interested in reading it now :D

my friend didn’t like it because she thought it was too over-hyped and trying too hard to be like the dark knight or something.. but i liked it!!

i found the opening montage (where they showed all the past events and fates of the old watchmen, etc.. ) a bit confusing, maybe because i wasn’t sure what all the different events were and i hadn’t read the comic.
i agree that some of the music choices didn’t seem to fit in very well (like the 99balloons)
oh and the sex scene made me laugh… :P heehee

posted over 5 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

Favorite character (based on the movie alone, as I have yet to read the graphic novel): Ozymandias. Hands down.

Haha, Ozymandias is my favourite character too.

But Bubastis was only in the film for like 5 seconds!

posted over 5 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

thefieldsofe...

@poorandweird: I agree that Laurie/Silk Spectre was just sort of….there. Malin’s acting was flat, at best. Anyway, yes! Ozymandias! His character has such incredible depth, and I find it quite interesting to try and figure out his motivations. Hopefully, there will be more Bubastis in the Director’s Cut!

@coldlight: Regarding your friend’s opinion on Watchmen attempting to emulate The Dark Knight, I don’t think that’s the case, at all! The Dark Knight plays with moral ambiguity on the surface, but Watchmen dives right in and explores the matter more thoroughly. (I do enjoy both movies, though.)

posted over 5 years ago

New_user 41153 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 41153 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I am the biggest comic book fan. Well, probably not, but hey. My mother never understood what the point was – so I never had the money to buy them. I used to trade lunches and snacks, stuff at school for comics, and trade other books for them. Hmm, so my collection was never all that grand as a kid but now I’m slowing expanding, actually having the money ;D

I read watchmen a number of years ago.. and then again last year when i heard about the movie, and then the week before the release. So excited. I loved the movie.

ABOUT MUSIC; Of course they had to choose the ridiculous classics for the film! The book had references to the songs themselves. The quirky songs a lot of people bitched about are ones the author picked out in the 70’s, or when they were making the movie. Google it (: (I cheated and downloaded the soundtrack before seeing the movie. I about peed myself when they actually had the songs I had in my head while reading.)

As for dressing up.. I went the night it was released with my friend. I painted my face like rorschack’s mask, grabbed a hat like his, and wore a similar coat. Nothing huge, but yeah. I like the shirt idea ! didn’t think of it I went all out for the dark knight though. As the Joker no less. He’s always been a fav of mine, and the reaction from everyone – although amazing, kind of feels like I’ve been robbed of my admiration for the jokers character. eh. At least I was dressed like him for the release, bitches! (:

posted over 5 years ago

letsbeuniquex
Style_council
letsbeuniquex

I loved Watchmen! My boyfriend is a huge graphic novel fan, and he got me into it. The movie is fabulous. I lent my student teacher the graphic novel, so I have yet to read that, but I’m really excited to! Also on my graphic novel to-read list are: V for Vendetta and Heroes Volume Two. Is there anything you would recommend?

posted over 5 years ago

cherrybitch
Style_council
cherrybitch

The graphic novel is better. : P

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION