Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsenthusiast
Style_council
tightsenthus...

This was the saddest thing I’ve ever heard. Everyone keeps focusing on the whole “they shouldn’t take away our guns” thing, even though it’s easier to get a gun than it is to get mental help. Anyone else find this very annoying?

posted over 1 year ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

just my 2 cents: saying that everyone should own weapons for ‘protection’ relies on a dangerous fallacy: that we, the ‘rest of society’, are inherently good and would never use these weapons for wrong purposes. Anyone at any point in time could use it for the wrong reasons, all it could take is a few seconds of irrationality.

1. Where is the proof that arming citizens would effectually reduce crime? It’s hard enough for trained professionals, do you really think a citizen with a pistol could do anything? I’ve read reports that teachers at that school owned weapons. At best, it’s a psychological comfort.

2. Every. single. day. there are reports of people taking their personal weapons—those “for defense only” weapons—and going batsh*t crazy with them. We are not perfect, rational beings.

3. There are other means of self-defense other than owning some semiautomatic military-grade weapon. The counterargument is that people who want guns will access them whether or not they do it legally—but handing everyone a weapon isn’t the answer. Neither is arming teachers—sure it works in Israel, but military service is compulsory in Israel. For inner-city violence, where most gun-related incidents occur, programs like Ceasefire are far more effective than stockpiling guns for personal defense.

posted over 1 year ago

vrod
Style_council
vrod

Let start off by saying,I DO NOT own a gun .And i don’t want one.There are many tradgic stories about gun violence that don’t make the news.but the ones that do.you have to look at the whole story.Most or these horror stories happen because of GUN OWNER NEGLIGENCE !!! In the situation with Sandy Hook The weapons use was the property of his mother(which was the first to be shot).You always hear about some kid bringing his father’s gun to school.The biggest issue is assault rilfes (military style weapons).While I do believe it may not be necesary to defend your home with one for these weapons , there is a bit of irony here.The government trains our military and supplies them with those weapons to defend the country,but I can’t have one to defend my home, no matter how responsible I may be in the use of the weapon.As I said before it may be a bit extreme—it is the principle of the matter. Not to mention a constitional right !!! As the old sayoing goes—IF YOU OUTLAW GUNS ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS !!!!

posted about 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION