Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

OKAY…so I know this may be a little controversial, but i think its a topic worth discussing. So basically, here’s my argument….

I’m a pretty curvy girl, no doubt. But I still look at the modeling industry and agree that models need to be a certain size…aka small. The designer needs to produce a bunch of items without having to use a ton of fabric, and the items need to fit all these girls without them having to worry about tons of sizing issues. It’s about unitformity, making you look at the clothes, not the size of the women.

So…contrast me

posted over 4 years ago
1 2
Katy90
Style_council
Katy90

I think average size girls should be given a chance in the modelling world. I consider myself average (not obese and not skinny either) I think when there are average sized models; many people could relate themselves to them (since we have about the same body shape).

posted over 4 years ago

Roseflorie
Style_council
Roseflorie

The whole point of being a model is to be different. Models are not meant to look like common or ordinary girls you see on the street. They are basically mannequins. Its not about relating to them, it’s about them being different people that their job is to showcase fashion. So when they look suprising, theres no need to complain because its their job.

It’s like saying a president should not change the law. But at the end of the day, it’s their job to cater for the majority and they can’t do anything about it. By saying models shouldn’t be thin is like saying a president should not make laws or do their job. Being a model is a job, not a game.

posted over 4 years ago

maliamazing
Style_council
maliamazing

^ agreed

however everyone has their own opinion. It would be nice to see some normal sizes on the runway

posted over 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

I actually like the clothes I see in Torrid but I’m too small to wear them. I appreciate stores like that and Big and Tall, etc.

My problem is finding shoes that fit my feet. Most stores start at 6 and I wear size 3 in children’s … o_O I can sometimes manage 5’s but it’s still a pain. I refuse to wear Barbie sandals and light up shoes the rest of my life.

I feel bad for models – I would hate to be prevented from eating and just basically be a walking canvas. Beautiful artistically, but definitely not a glamorous life.

posted over 4 years ago

thegnome
Style_council
thegnome

I get that its easier to make flattering clothes for super skinny women (just like how everything looks great on the hanger!) but some of the models are so skinny that they’re the focus of the attention, not the clothing itself. I’d like to see models around the size 4-8 range, which is still quite slim for a tall woman but not distractingly so.

posted over 4 years ago

HandbagsandGladrags
Style_council
HandbagsandG...

I get that designers don’t want people looking at the model, they want people looking at the clothes but what annoys me is that these clothes are there to be sold. I don’t care how big a designer your are, if your outfit doesnt look good on me, I wont buy it (I mean, i can’t afford it anyway but that’s not the point!)

I like to see how the outfits move, how they fit and on skinny models, you don’t get to see that. Whilst i think some of the models are so so beautiful and look amazing in the clothes, i think there is room for some plus sized models too.

People think that having a plus sized model on the catwalk is so odd, so different and strange and that she doesnt fit in and yet if you got a room of ‘normal’ consumers and put a 6ft size 2 model in there, she’d be the odd one out. She’d be beautiful, but she’d be the different one.

I just think that designers are limiting their audience and consumers by rigidly sticking to one shape. I really wish people would look past the issues of weight and look for models that are right for their campaigns or ethos of the company. I see a Vivian Westwood girl as being curvy- and I mean with an ass and hips, Prada is androgynous and strong looking, gucci is willowy and tall, luella is a normal, funky girl etc

And one more thing – i hate the term plus sized. Anything above a size 6 is plus sized and that’s ridiculous. I have a 10 year old sister who is a swimmer. She’s 5"5 already and she weighs 98lbs. She’s healthy, eats a balance diet and does plenty of exercise and although technically, her BMI says she’s underweight for her height, she thinks she’s fat. Why does she think she’s fat? Because she doesn’t fit in the clothes for her age range. Because she has to wear adult clothes in a size 8. We tell her all the time that she’s very very slim, toned and tall because of swimming but she’s convinced she’d fat. She’s the tallest in her class, taller than our mother, all at age 10 and when i asked her why she felt fat, she said it was because she didnt look like the little girls in films, or in the magazines she reads. I’m a plus sized girl – I can buy clothes from the normal store ranges or i can buy stuff from the smaller sizes of their plus sized ranges. I actually have smaller measurements than the ‘average’ sized woman in the uk. I said once that i didnt feel comfortable in a miniskirt and my little sister said, very innocently and without meaning to hurt me – ‘mini skirts aren’t for fat people’. I asked her if she thought i was fat and she said yes, because (again) I didnt look like the girls in films or in magazines and because my boobs were bigger.

I just think it’s twisted. It’s like she’s been brainwashed or something. Anyway, i went off on a tangent there…

posted over 4 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION