SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

Did you watch it?

If you didn`t, what is your stance on teaching abstinence? How do you feel about sex education in health class? Did you have it at your school?

If you are celibate, did you feel offended?

If you believe that sex does not have to be with one special person to be okay, were you offended?

Here is an article about it with a clip of Burt Hummel`s speech on sex from the show: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/sex-education-on-glee/

posted almost 4 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I have to say, I applaud the show for addressing the issue, since the American public education system sure doesn’t do a very good job /-: And for the most part I thought it did a good job, showing the issue from several sides and in regards to both teens and adults, and both heterosexual and homosexual couples.

However, the one flaw I saw is I think the episode spent more time showing the extreme views and flawed perspectives/relationships than focusing on the resolutions. For example, Holly’s persistent “naive and possibly frigid” response to the Celibacy Club, etc, got me a little on defensive because the choice to wait, for however long, is just as valid as any other choice, no sarcasm about it!— and it doesn’t necessarily make someone prudish or frigid to choose it. I mean, ironically, I was waiting for pretty much the same reasons Kurt’s dad suggested for him: because I wanted the person and the moment to mean something— and for better or worse I just didn’t meet that special person when I was a teen. And there’s nothing wrong with wanting to wait for marriage or until a certain age, either, if that’s what you have chosen freely!

But I think all that was just because Holly was a flawed character herself, who by her own admittance had some baggage about romance and relationships. The real problem with the Celibacy Club was not the choice to wait itself, but the refusal to educate. And the show did resolve that positively by showing the Celibacy Club choosing to acknowledge that sex education is just as important for those who choose to wait. The choice to wait is valid, but one should still know the facts for when the time comes.

To me, sex education is about empowering individuals to make choices about their own bodies. Others’ judgments about when and with whom they chose to have intercourse are simply irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that the people involved have the information to enact their choice, whatever it is, safely, healthily, and happily.

tanyabell
Style_council
tanyabell

I felt that the past two shows glorified both sex and alcohol. There was no ANTI to either and wasn’t that the point of both episodes?

Tuesday’s episode was the last straw for me.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION