Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
discofabulous
Style_council
discofabulous

I don’t know if anyone remembers, but two weeks ago a bunch of websites went black for a day. Wikipedia and Reddit went dark, Tumblr offered their users if they wanted their blog to go dark, and Google supported it by blocking out their logo. They were protesting censorship on the internet. Now Twitter has a micro- censorship policy going on. Any thoughts about this?

posted over 2 years ago
DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

I hope PIPA and SOFA don’t pop back up back again. Oh yes, and it would be shameful iif ACTA passes. That probably means we may not be able to share our outfits so easily on Chictopia!

posted over 2 years ago

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

I find it sad that some people are actually supporting internet censorship. I wonder what that will do to sites like tumblr and pintrest? Twitter’s micro-censorship policy also makes me sad. It basically censors your tweets based on governing country’s laws (for example: People in Thailand can’t tweet about the monarchy). What happened to freedom of speech?

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I love how people in senate who support internet censorship barely use the internet at all. they can take away sites like megavideo, but there will always be more sites taking their place.

one thing I actually have a huge problem with is accessibility of private information on the web. for a while on spokeo, you could literally find out EVERYTHING about a person for free. I googled my friend and it took me to google street view house address; found her facebook account; her relatives; her phone number; her address; her age; family’s average income; etc. SO scary, right? They took away most of the features but you can access it all for a price.

I hate how I’m not in control of my own private information, and it can be bought for a couple bucks if not found for free. Anyone who has their name out there and is victim to internet bullying could literally have their lives endangered—actually, anyone who is unfortunate enough to have enemies. They should make it illegal to buy and sell private information, because it’s not like you can find all that in the yellowpages.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION