Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
flattery
Style_icon
flattery

This is a really important topic to bring up, and I wanted to make this thread because of what happened at the Miss America Pageant.
If you missed it, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XMvviFbkf0&feature=related

So, what are your thoughts?

Personally, It bothers me that people are just like ‘oh well its her opinion…’
There is an EXTENT to what personal opinion is okay.
There is a difference between opinions such as; I prefer purple over green.
And: “I hate people with white skin and really I dont think they should have rights and I think there should be a second holocaust for them.”

That was obviously just an example by the way.
Equality is Equality.
People are being snotty about their religion (bigots.) by trying to have CONTROL over people.
You cannot deny two people equality. Gay people SHOULD be allowed to be married, EVERYWHERE!!

posted over 5 years ago
1 2 4
frictioninyourjeans
Style_council
frictioninyo...

I don’t have a problem with anyone marrying another human being. I personally don’t want to get married and if I’m not going to act on that “right” then I’m all for a same gender couple using it instead of me.

I think that it is super ridiculous that it’s a matter of the government. If anything, it should be in the church and that’s it. I don’t think that the government should have this huge role in our life where they tell us who we can and cannot marry.

posted almost 3 years ago

MissMeggo
Style_council
MissMeggo

I think opinions are fine just as long as they stay your opinions and don’t become rules. That’s when things go down hill. You can be an asshole; you can be an asshole as much as you want, but the second it becomes anything more than talking, then it ceases to be an opinion and becomes an infringement.

MissMeggo
Style_council
MissMeggo

Also, her logic is terrible. We live in a place where you can choose to get a same sex marriage or not. But I don’t agree with that option.

thelovehanger
Style_council
thelovehanger

I don’t think it should a be “for” or “against” thing because that just makes gay marriage look wrong. It should be a “just stay out of other people’s lives and let them make their own choices” thing.

Why does someone else’s lifestyle or marriage/union affect you (generally) in any way? It doesn’t. My marriage to my husband and my sister’s marriage to her wife has no affect on the general public. So it shouldn’t be a general public kind of thing that can be voted against. Sadly it is, but it’s wrong.

People are people, regardless or age, sex, orientation, religion, or creed. And denying people those rights is unconstitutional.

aldrin1013
Style_council
aldrin1013

GO FOR GAY MARRIAGE!!!! :)

DreamDazzler
New_user DreamDazzler is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When DreamDazzler reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
DreamDazzler

I’m all for Gay Marriage, it shouldn’t matter who you marry weather its your own gender or the opposite.

What I don’t get is you can marry your own cousin in many states in the US but not your own gender, its true by the way, no joke there.

Marriage should be about love not someone’s skin color, sexuality, or race.

ImogenKate
Style_council
ImogenKate

I just can’t get over the prejudice that sill revolves around Gay marriage and Gay love in general. We pride our human race for being a cut above the earths company in intelligence and pretty much everything else. How can we say that when we still wont let people gracefully and with respect chose the paths in life they wish to take, isn’t that a human right? America’s laws say that everyone has the right to carry a gun, but you can’t marry some one of the same sex. What are they afraid of?

(when i say America im referring to the video, i know the rest of the world largely has the same views, unfortunately.)

Senta
Style_council
Senta

I absofuckinglutely think gay marriages should be legalized everywhere. What Miss California said was… well, I don’t divide in politically correct or not. I just think different, because in my opinion it IS actually an abuse of human rights to prohibit gay couples to marry. Even in states where gay marriage is legal married gay couples don’t have the same rights as heterosexual married couples because the federal government doesn’t recognize gay marriages. No federal benefits, even if they are legally wed in the state their living in. It would be so simple if all states would legalize gay marriage. Even for the government it would be better. Just think of all the struggling because of married same sex couples moving to states or working in states where their marriage isn’t recognized. There’s so much bureaucratic shit because of stuff like that. Who the fuck gets hurt just because the gays from across the street are officially married or just a couple? And also they have disadvantages in the matter of taxes and stuff like that. Is that equal treatment? Definitely not!

Puh, sorry guys, that topic makes me go mad.

For example, here in Germany gay marriages have been legalized since – if I remember correctly – 2001. 10 years. But it isn’t even called “marriage”, just “eingetragene Lebenspartnerschaft”, civil union. Even in “legalese” it is always called “Ehe”, marriage, even the statute book is called “marriage statute”. It’s always the term “marriage”. But when it comes to homosexuals it’s a civil union. Unfair. Also e.g. gay married couples here don’t have the same tax advantages as hetero ones. Equal? Equal my ass.

Oh and @DreamDazzler, jep, even here it is allowed to marry your cousin. I mean, stuff like that can cause much more suffering than a gay marriage. We’re living in modern times. Gay couples have become pretty normal, and I’m absolutely in favor of it. Everyone should have the freedom to choose. It’s okay that people don’t like the look of two girls or two guys kissing. Then look away. But there’s no need to discriminate.

QuinnBell
Style_council
QuinnBell

I’m pretty lucky to have been raised by an accepting family. I was always taught that homosexuality is the same as heterosexuality. After my parents divorced when I was 10, my mother decided to come out and tell my brother and I that she was a lesbian. Whenever I hear people making homophobic remarks like “that’s so gay” or using the word “fag” it affects me in a different way than I think it would with another person. Love is love, whether it’s between a man and a woman, two women, or two men.

posted over 2 years ago

OmniDimensional
Style_council
OmniDimensional

There is no EXTENT to what personal opinion is. It is your opinion, no matter what it is, and because of our first amendment right it protects your human sovereignty against those who oppose your opinion. It is not there so you can talk about the weather, it is there to protect unpopular speech. That was her opinion and she is entitled to it whether you like it or not! She was honest and wasn’t about to bullshit anyone on what her true beliefs are. I applaud her for being honest and not giving into popular speech by saying yes she believes in gay marriage when she doesn’t, in fear of being ridiculed for her opinion. I believe that everyone has the given right to do whatever they want. The problem here is our government. The government has no say in what we do with our lives and needs to get the fuck out of our personal lives and leave us alone! That is what we fought for in 1776 and people need to brush up on the Constitutional Republic our country was founded on. With that being said, she didn’t say she believes gay marriage should be illegal, she only said her opinion was that she believed marriage should be between a man and a woman, NOT I believe gay marriage should be made illegal and marriage should be regulated by the government. It is up to the STATE to decide what should be legal and illegal as long as it is not going against the constitution. The people need to hold those states accountable if they make laws that are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. If our country went back to the way things were and supposed to be we wouldn’t be having this discussion! The states need to stand up to the federal government and so do the people and put them back in their place! The government has NO authority over what people do in their personal lives. That includes everything from gay marriage to drugs. Open your eyes and educate yourselves. If something is unconstitutional is it thus null and void. Get the GOVERNMENT out of our personal business and stop regulating every aspect of our lives. Gay marriage then will never be an issue again. Everyone would be able to live freely, marrying who ever they want, doing what ever the hell they please, and that was the intention of our founding fathers, 1776, and our constitution. Sadly, many have forgotten this and now we are suffering the consequences of that.

posted over 2 years ago

New_user 263161 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 263161 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I believe that Gay Marriage is a Civil Right and should be legalized in every state. Equality is an amazing thing, and should be accepted whether or not you are straight. If you deny the equality of them, how are you not being hypocritical of having equality for people of different religions and skin color? I live in a Mormon family, and even though I’m agnostic, I still have support from both of my sisters and my mom that Gay Marriage should be legalized because you can’t help who you love. If you find the right qualities in someone that you would love to have for life, why not marry them? I used to be a part of my school’s Gay-Straight Alliance club, and I found it amazing how throughout the years there have been more and more supporters. Although, I can’t go now due to my dad not supporting Gay Marriage, and he thinks I don’t know anything about the ‘gay lifestyle’, I go my own ways with thing. I still participate and support, but don’t attend the club. If anybody out there needs someone to talk to about this subject I’m always here. (:

posted over 2 years ago

VersatileMoTIF
Style_council
VersatileMoTIF

Im a proud lesbian who is definitely for gay marriage. Patriachy, chauvinism [which i think are all derived from and supported by religion] and some other closed concepts are so poisonous to our society. Bringing awareness about homosexuality by continuing to banish stereotypes, we can begin to cure the minds of our society.

posted over 2 years ago

KeshTatya
Style_council
KeshTatya

My grandma who is actually a doctor said it is possible if a person was born gay. Genes can’t lie and can’t be changed. I think being gay is a destiny from God. Why against it?
I’m for gay marriage.

posted over 2 years ago

Garza_Steph
Style_council
Garza_Steph

I think as time goes on and our generation comes into power of our country, Gay marriage will be looked at with an open mind. It’s inevitable, being gay is becoming more and more normal. The people in power now still have a closed mind to this, they did not grow up seeing gay couples everywhere such as my generation has. No president will legalize gay marriage anytime soon w/out losing out big time w/ conservatives. I may sound very technical about it, but I do think it has a lot to do with the largest voting group being older.

posted over 2 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I don’t think religion should have anything to do with marriage. At all. Marriage is the joining of two people who wish to spend the rest of their lives together. Just because a pastor or equivalent says “you’re married” doesn’t make it so. You have to actually sign legal documents to be married. So, why should your religious affiliation have anything to do with someone’s ability to get married?

It is a human right to fall in love and get married, whether it be man or woman.

posted over 2 years ago

NowhereGirl
Style_council
NowhereGirl

I am for it, of course. I don’t get how you can’t be for gay marriage. I mean, yeah, I am not gay, but then why should I care if two grown up person who love each other want to get married? If Mary and Liza, Jacob and Adam or Mary and Adam want to get married, good for them. It doesn’t change my life a single bit if they do. Gay love is just as beautiful as hetero love. I am so glad that I live in a country that allows gay marriage, because they deserve the same right to marry the one they love as much as a straight person does.

posted over 2 years ago
1 2 4
REPLY TO DISCUSSION