Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Dreamlander
Style_council
Dreamlander

Is there anybody else who is baffled by how famous fashion bloggers never use their power to address the issue of unethical clothing? Well at least I never found one who seemed to care (if anybody knows one, please share). I love clothes but I hate the idea that people are working in terrible conditions and living a miserable life so I can look cute and buy a million items I don’t really need. And I believe that fashion bloggers who have hundreds of readers and who are popular enough to be given free clothes can do something. Because their opion counts for fashion brands. What do you think?

posted over 2 years ago
KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

In a perfect world, where everyone knows everything about everything, this would be ideal.
However, not everyone knows how the products are being created. I mean, when I see something cute in a store, I don’t automatically think about how the product was made, I think about how to style it.
Sweatshops are horrible (and in no way do I condone that kind of labor), but not everyone knows about sweatshop free brands, and not everyone cares. You can’t assume that a well-known fashion blogger knows about how the products they’re displaying or endorsing are made.

posted over 2 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

However, there are some style(mostly vintage) bloggers who wrote about supporting small businesses and shop for items locally—and they’re not the type of people who would wear their clothes only once.

But I think some of the other popular fashion bloggers may not be as aware how the world works. To begin with, they’re not superb writers— hardly all that cerebral. One blogger I encountered in the past seems to have a shopping addiction—buying loads from one, short shopping trip from F21!

posted over 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

I’ve been wanting to start a movement about that here in the Philippines. I’ve actually been subscribing news from the United Students Against Sweatshops. I love my brands but I chose to be aware as well. I try to do my research bout the brands I love.

posted over 2 years ago

New_user 263161 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 263161 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I never really thought about that. Hmm.. Thanks for pointing that out. That is an excellent observation, and cause to fight for! I might research into that.

posted over 2 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

It’s conflicting too since, most of my clothing items may came from such places. So I now narrowed my shopping places.

posted over 2 years ago

HerPhantasmagoria
Style_council
HerPhantasma...

I struggle with this regularly. It’s why I try not to buy a lot from “fast fashion” stores (I’m a sucker for H&M though and feel a twinge of guilt every time I end up buying something…). Of course, I don’t think fashion bloggers could really change the situation that much. It’s steeped in economic disparity between nations as well as the fact that fashion is an industry which thrives off of profit (meaning many companies would be willing to sacrifice a few customers for the sake of cheap labor, etc.). Thrifting, buying local, researching ethically sound brands, and even making your own clothing are definitely good alternatives.

There are small steps that well known bloggers could take but I get the impression that most of the big time bloggers are more concerned with other things.

posted over 2 years ago

Dreamlander
Style_council
Dreamlander

Thank you for your replies, girls! The issue of unethical clothing is just driving me nuts these days. It’s just so hard to understand what’s good and what’s bad. :s

A couple of weeks ago there was a brand who was offering freebies here on Chictopia (its account was deleted), I had a closer look at its website and contacted them in order to find out what kind of policy it had in terms of sustainability and labor rights. Because I didn’t want to promote an unethical brand. I wrote a whole post about it on my blog. Check it if this issue bothers you too! :)

posted over 2 years ago

Vlinderzoet
New_user Vlinderzoet is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Vlinderzoet reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Vlinderzoet

There was a television series about this a while ago. People who were very much into fashion were confronted with the harsh conditions the people who produce their clothes work in. Not just the sweat shops, but also cotton farms, etc.
Of course those workers deserve better, BUT keep in mind that it is their job, it’s all they have to be able to survive. So simply closing sweat shops is not the way, as people will lose their jobs and be even worse off than before. I agree though that’s it’s an important issue and I’m glad that there are people who want to make a difference :)

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION