Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

Video describing the phenomenon here

This is not-so-current news (I think it dates back to November 2008?), but I think it’s definitely an intriguing topic.

Certainly, men don’t need bras, but does that necessarily exclude them from the right to buy and wear bras? In my opinion, I don’t think so. They can wear what they like, when they like. (I mean, it’s not like anyone is going to actually see those bras being worn, anyway.)

And then, of course, there are gender issues inevitably associated with the man-bra. (I mean, one can bring up pretty much anything related to the whole ‘feminine/masculine’ dichotomy – or binary division – as it is socially defined.) But is the development of the man-bra really that surprising? After all, girls buy and wear boyshort/boxer underwear made specifically for them. Or just skip the whole process and steal their boyfriends’ boxers. It’s not like girls need the extra…space. They’re just comfortable. And no-one gives them any shit for that. But suddenly when guys want to wear bras, for comfort or curiosity or whatever, people get all riled up and cry foul. I think it’s a bit unfair, but then again, the gender scale on what is ‘acceptable’ for men and women to wear is still rather skewed. Girls can get away with almost anything these days, but guys….well, I can’t remember the last time I saw a guy (who wasn’t Scottish and playing a bagpipe) wearing a skirt in public.

Thoughts?

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION