Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
lindajudour
Style_council
lindajudour

Recently in New York City, Mayor Bloomberg had enforced the ban on large sugary drinks in restaurants, deli’s, concession stands, and stadiums. This is to promote a healthier lifestyle (aka obesity). I personally don’t think this will be effective way to stabilize obesity. If they can’t have one thing, they’ll find a new thing. What are your opinions on this?

posted about 2 years ago
BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

People need to make their own choices. You can’t force people to make the right ones.

posted about 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

lol wouldn’t people just go back for refills with smaller cups? though psychologically speaking, you’d probably consume less. imo the right solution would be to make the healthier options easily accessible, or to provide some incentive.

posted about 2 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

@tightsandtea that’s what i said ! if they are that used to it…they will do just that !
plus obesity although sugary drinks lead to a large portion of weight gain – there is still the aspect of food. Food portions are quite large portion. Also some of these less healthier options are cheaper. (think $1 burgers at mcdonalds) sure you can argue a salad i not much more….but what do you see advertised on tv more. it’s an ongoing cycle

also, I feel like its an issue of rights. What is going to be banned next?…..
I’m all for creating a healthier society, but this is certainly not a cure-all fix.
education and self motivation is the only thing that will truly help.
in the end, this is a choice up to the person themselves…..what happened to free choice/will….?

posted about 2 years ago

canyoupasstheglitter
Style_council
canyoupassth...

I think it’s great how the government is finally taking actions to fight obesity. However, this law isn’t very effective. I understand that when people have a large drink, they’ll drink all of it. But if you have a small sized drink, won’t people buy another small drink if they want more? It’s just that this law doesn’t really enforce people to drink lesser.

posted about 2 years ago

Geek_Le_Chic
Style_council
Geek_Le_Chic

I think it’s a step in the right direction, although as mentioned above, I a not sure how effective this will be.

One thing I will say is that This will stimulate conversation about the obesity crisis issue. And yes, this is a crisis. In my years of medical education, I was never taught how to manage a 10 year old with type 2 diabetes or a child with a blood pressure of 190/100, simply because up until 10years ago, this was unheard of. It is scary how many families bring their children in to clinic for check-ups, and adult-onset illnesses are being seen in teenagers. Simply scary. America has developed a horrible lifestyle for our younger generation, consisting of fast-foods, exaggerated food portions, and a lack of regulation for what companies use in their processed meals.

This action is great in that it wakes people up from the illusion that this is not a serious issue. However, the only way this issue can be solved is if we take a multidisciplinary approach involving a concerted effort from everyone; from policy-makers in DC to teachers, to food franchises to parents all around the US. Education should be key and should focus on on healthy eating, portion control, explanation for health risks to obesity and ways to prevent chronic illnesses in our children.

It’s a very complex issue that is not so black and white, but I am glad that attention is brig brought to this real serious issue.

posted almost 2 years ago

fridgebuzz
Style_council
fridgebuzz

I support the ban – it’s in the best interest of everyone to keep obesity rates down. A multitude of health problems result from obesity (heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, limited mobility and joint deterioration) and treating these avoidable conditions drags on the resources of our health system. That said, I do feel that people who consume 16+ oz. soda drinks on a regular basis will find a way to circumvent the ban or replace the soda habit with another. We can only hope the ban provides incentive to develop healthier habits.

mollyan
Style_council
mollyan

the ban is good for peoples health

hautebyhayley
New_user hautebyhayley is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When hautebyhayley reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
hautebyhayley

I’m hypoglycemic, and can’t physically have anything with sugars, so yes, they should be banned. There is not one reason health wise to keep them, and people need to learn to love healthy beneficial foods!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION