Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
_holic
Style_council
_holic

i closely see a connection between visual art and fashion. i think making art with textiles is what made me choose risd over parsons for a college even though i do have doubts of my own. i’m wondering if anyone else sees what i mean or even agree. designers such as rodarte galliano, and mcqueen are a big inspiration to me because they’re haute couture clothing is an art exhibit on the runway. i like drawing painting and clothes so i wanted to do something that incorporated both. i would love to be a haute couture designer in the future

jw who are everyone’s favorite inspirational designers?

posted about 5 years ago
geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Glad to see folks on casual style sites willing to discuss fashion in terms other than just cultural currency. The move away from true haute couture has been a big part of the last half of the twentieth century and it’s interesting that you bring up designers who try to imbue ready-to-wear with the same sense of individual style and artistic innovation that used to be the sole realm of couteriers. (BTW, there’s been lots of people talking about the rise of demi-couture from brands like Nina Ricci, Balenciaga, and Rochas; further proof that labels are becoming super weird in today’s times.)

The designers that I think are really making their mark (even if they aren’t the most practical or economically-minded) are people like Olivier Theyskens and Alber Elbaz; people who are really thinking about what clothing means to a person and how its construction and design has a lasting impact upon the artistic, economic, and social landscape.

posted about 5 years ago

darher
Style_council
darher

You are right, but sometimes you need a celebrity to help you become famous. Then again, what’s a designer without models? I have read on Project Weight Loss the Fabulous “Fashionholic” Diet from Victoria’s Secret angels. The common belief about models is that they don’t exercise or go on diets. They just starve themselves in order to stay slim. There has been little news about how models stay in shape. The “angels” prepare their hot bodies by doing cardio and cutting down the carbs.

posted about 5 years ago

_holic
Style_council
_holic

true true i kinda like how many designers are bringing in more creative unique aspects but i can see that coming from aspirations of fashion innovation and creating a new trend. designers, once established, can basically do whatever they want. i still think that the most original designs are still meant for the wealthy/celebrities and department stores take the lesser crazy designs and mass produce it for the public. from what i see now designers are also looking back for ideas and bringing certain items to todays mainstream. its nice but also shows a “block” i’m not sure how to word it.

i can definitely assume VS models starving themselves cause they go out on the runway pretty much naked. i must commend how some models are looking healthier and fit, but more or less they probably don’t eat much before walking.
models are a great asset cause they display the clothes, but its to give the public a display on how the clothes will look when worn in 3d visual perspective rather than laying flat on a table. in reality people are not size 0 so you cannot just assume buying something that looks good on the model will look good on you. celebrity friends are also a bonus cause the celebrity icons can bring attention to your line and boost sales. ex. alexander wang gained much attention from teen vogue sponsorship and his supermodel friend.

posted about 5 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

i totally agree with u holic.Mcqueen is one of my inspirations as well. i go 2 FIT n i major in fashion illustration then i want 2 get a bachelors in fashion design. the 2 fields r so related , they compliment each other!

posted about 5 years ago

Bennie52491
Style_council
Bennie52491

ooo n i love the designers that work 4 Victoria secrets they r so creative. i think that their models do eat though because they are the juicest ones I have seen. i mean look at tyra banks she had big breasts,thighs,and had a butt n she would work that runway every year , 2 bad she retired : (. But I know what your saying though because I have seen some models that look really nasty but then again some people say I look nasty and dont eat because I am skinny but I just have my dad’s metabolism.

posted about 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION