SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
hannahsmithy
Style_council
hannahsmithy

and if you’re not then..why?
I know it’s kind of a loaded word, feminist, but I’ve always found it interesting how many people reject the term even though their behaviour is feminist.

I actually have a post about feminism on my blog: http://stylehawkers.blogspot.com/2010/10/feminism-you-probably-wont-read-this-as.html

posted almost 4 years ago
1 2
solybBy
Style_council
solybBy

I am

hannahsmithy
Style_council
hannahsmithy

@pflamingo thank you…I don’t think I can change my friends’ minds’ though because honestly, they mock me for being a feminist and actually try and provoke me by saying really sexist things. To them, feminism is ‘uncool’ or something. Or maybe being passionate about something is uncool, I can’t tell. sigh
At least I know there are people on Chictopia who share my views!

IamnotJessica
Style_council
IamnotJessica

@HannahSmithy I totally agree with you when you say Feminism benefits everyone. I mean look at the economy, more women in work has given countries a great boost.

I wouldn’t say I am a feminist – more of a marxist if I’m honest but I definitely agree with a lot of the feminists arguments. I start to turn away when I hear radical concepts of separatism, political lesbianism and how global warming is fully the fault of males.
The sad thing is I believe there will always, always be patriarchy within society. Someone has to be the minority and even though laws have changed there will always be that stigma. It’s seen as ‘traditional’ for women to have the expressive role and that’s why a lot of women are not taken seriously but even when women try to be assertive or show power I often feel it becomes sexualised. The worst part of course is that some women are actually happy to be treated this way!

Oft loving this! I am a sociology student and it’s good to find a bit of intelligence on the internet these days!

Myaker
Style_council
Myaker

@HannahSmithy you are so mature for a thirteen year old. I think its great that you have such strong, non-biased, views at such a young age.

By the way, i am indeed a feminist, and i enjoyed your blog post. :)

Kassabelle
Style_council
Kassabelle

How about life-ism.
Everything that lives should be equal :) that way, it isn’t solely based on sex.
As a lot of you have said, feminism is totally about equal rights, and that is great. I’m with you, but if we have feminism, we also have to have manism, animalism..etc. The fact that there is a term for this idea with a word that is equatable with just women is where I think the problem lies.

Kassabelle
Style_council
Kassabelle

I was referring to those who have a problem with the word feminism, i.e. those who posted before saying they’re all for equal rights but not feminists.

I think where they’re coming from is seeing the word as identifying with equal rights, yes, but in favor of women.

(weird example, but hear me out) Just like if someone was grouping all the worlds cars who have passed a safety inspection under a title called ford-ism, or what have you..though the term would mean all of the cars in the category (saturn toyota, buick etc.) are perfectly safe to drive…people are going to think that ford is better or safer because its name is the title of the word meaning safest cars. But on the other hand if the category was called safest cars in the world..they’d all be equals.

By the way, I do believe in feminism. Women should have the same rights as men and I know tons of men who agree. It shouldn’t even be an issue, It’s almost like we shouldn’t even have to have the term ‘feminism’ because I think its just common sense that everyone should equal, but I do understand the roots of feminism and the history of women in society and why feminism is so important.

I’m sure if it was the other way around and men had to fight to get equal rights they would have a term too.

Conclusion? Feminism is very much alive today and women everywhere still fight to be equals. Even those who don’t agree with feminism still practice it somehow by believing that they matter and they aren’t below anyone else. Personally I think women should never stop fighting to be equal, but we shouldn’t think we are somehow better than men. Also, I just feel those who don’t agree with feminism probably see the word as taboo and don’t want others to think that they think they are better than anyone else.

hannahsmithy
Style_council
hannahsmithy

@Kassabelle: I genuinely thought your first and second posts were by two different people :)

I feel like it’s been said so many times that feminism doesn’t mean women are better than men, it means women are equal to men, but people still don’t listen!
And looking at my generation, the future looks pretty bleak for feminism.. apart from a few (think the FBomb contributors and founder, Tavi) that help raise awareness/champion feminism for the world.
In all the schools I’ve been to (5, in case you were wondering), I have yet to meet a single person (who’s the same age as me) who actually identifies as feminist and tries to do something about double standards/feminist issues. They mostly just mock and laugh at feminism.
And I’m worried that this will mean, in 4 or 5 years time, the world will be full of misogynistic or sexist 18 year olds. Which would be too depressing.
I mean, my blog post (from the first post of this forum topic) was submitted and published in the school magazine with replies by two girls and one boy.
They had to censor what the boy said because it was so offensive to, well, humankind.
I can’t quote him exactly but the gist of it was:
“Boys who have sex are LEGENDS and girls who have sex are sluts because think about it! A key that can open many locks is a really good key, but a lock that can be opened by many keys is a bad, dirty lock.”
And this is a guy who is captain of the football team and, as a result, pretty popular. I reacted to what he said (which genuinely wasn’t a joke, btw) with outrage and was immediately branded as ‘crazy’. All my friends just laughed at it. It’s just mystifying to me how you can find something so offensive funny. I mean, I’m not super PC because honestly, some people are just too easily offended, but what this guy said was written in seriousness and with a conviction that he was right, which was basically confirmed by the lack of reaction to what he wrote.

It’s possible that what I just wrote was fairly nonsensical, because I tend to speed-type when I’m really getting into something.

And to iterate, for people who have randomly clicked onto this topic and skipped past the blocks of text (as people do):
FEMINISM IS EQUAL RIGHTS.
FEMINISM DOESN’T MEAN WOMEN ARE BETTER THAN MEN.
capitalised for extra impact :)

1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION