SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

gossip girl….
i just got into the series not long ago and was not as bad as i thought. enjoyed some of the story arcs while some made me sick to the stomach.

was on the juliette story-arc just recently…
been doing some reading on forums, sites …. and i am curious, am i perhaps the only one that is somewhat siding on juliette’s side? or at least have the sympathy and in hopes that she does not ‘die’

it’s not that i approve on everything she did to serena (in this particular arc); but… now it seems the revenge is inevitable and probably she’s have some sort of dispeciable sufferings. i mean, really? money pwns everything?

am i over reacting? … did i not understand the characters enough to make this sort of stand/judgement?

posted almost 4 years ago
S_agapoxxx
Style_council
S_agapoxxx

I think everyone is supposed to pretty much hate Juliette! I have seen every episode and, whilst we don’t know exactly what her and her brother have against Serena, I don’t think we’re supposed to side with her at all!!

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

There’s nothing wrong with the way you feel, I just think it’s surprising!

I figure Juliet has to have a good reason for what she’s doing, but the show won’t tell us yet so it’s hard for me to sympathize with her. Right now she just comes off like this crazy stalker because I don’t understand what her deal is. I really wish the show would just tell us her and Ben’s motivation already. It’s much more interesting to me when I can see all the characters’ perspectives and relate to them equally instead of just seeing Good Guy vs. Bad Guy. I’m getting impatient!

So I don’t want her to just go away and die or anything, I just want to see more inside her head. I think it’s silly to wish that Juliet, Jenny, etc, were off the show, because they bring drama— and without drama, what’s the point in watching the show?

shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

@ S_agapoxxx, MurasakiNeko: oh riiiight. i actually have forgotten about the part about her brother. i guess from where my point of view is that she is some lower class
girl trying to able to achieve the same of the priviliged. not wannabe, but more of the ugly duckling that was looked-down.
personally, i probably would’ve liked that story-arc better than some sort of dark plot against the main characters.

and i agree that there should be a bit of drama….. though, as a somewhat hopeless romantic… i feel that not every drama needs to be scandalus and…. mean ;’)

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

I think Juliette’s brother has something to do with Serena’s wicked past…
Maybe something about the so-called murder of first season…

JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

I’m not on Juliette’s side, because a lot of things she did were just crossing the line, her behaviour is irresponsible and too convicted to her own beliefs.
But on the other hand, I don’t like the way Serena’s character has been, it’s irresponsible as well, she lets her mother or money take care of everything.
Don’t hate me for saying this, but I feel the plot has gotten weak, for the last few episodes, it’s just been a back and forth between Serena’s gang and Juliette. Juliette’s brother’s past is the only thing keeping my attention, but there’s no side stories and things seem predictive.

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

honestly, i do not like serena. but i think with gossip girl characters it is more so that each character has a good and bad side, its not necessarily that the audience needs to side with a character. with that said, i do agree that juliet has been going to extremes to destroy serena. i’m super curious as to the relationship between serena and ben and his ordeal with her but it seems that Juliet has become extremely jealous of Serena (loosing Nate to Serena, not high-class like Serena, etc)

shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

@ jukilove, peachypanda: yeaaaaa…. i think the fact that serena (and blair)’s character does not stick is because of their priviliged status (i think this is the third time i said it ;p )

but, now that you all have said about this shrouded mystery… does make me think a bit on what actually is going on of this family history.

guess we’ll know soon enough !

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

@shootingstar: Okay, I see where you’re coming with the privilege thing. Serena has always bothered me too since she acts like she just wants to live this free, independent life— but without meaning to she still manages to step all over a lot of people. Blair, Vanessa, Jenny, and Juliet have all been screwed over by her at some point, not to mention her family members. All the other characters have been knocked down at least a couple times, but Serena usually comes out on top. It’s a running theme in the show, and I am with you in wishing the tides were turn a little.

However, I personally don’t want to see that in the form of the archetypal Poor Girl bringing down the archetypal Rich Girl as if it were a battle of good and evil. Rich people aren’t evil, nor is Serena in particular evil; she’s just privileged and a little selfish. She doesn’t mean to hurt people, even though she does. So if Juliet brought Serena down by an elaborate concoction of schemes and lies, I wouldn’t walk away thinking, “Serena got what she deserved,” but, “Wow, Juliet’s a bitch.”

Maybe that’s just my personal philosophy, but I don’t believe in revenge, just karma. And the show seems to have a similar perspective. Look at the difference between Dan and Jenny as they both tried to get accepted on the Upper East Side: Dan was generally honest and a good friend, so people came to like him and he tends to have things work out for him, but Jenny was more underhanded and played some manipulation games so she made enemies. And when Blair’s schemes are unjust or involve hurting or betraying someone else, they usually bite her in the butt. I think Juliet will get some karmic repayment for her schemes— and I think she’ll deserve it— but maybe in the process we’ll also see some changes for Serena as well.

shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

@MurasakiNeko: that’s understandable…and i actually agree with you about the archetypes of the good vs evil. i guess we’ll soon see how it goes with the story. seems like juliet is doing abit over the top and perhaps will destroy herself by her own doing.

; )

EatItBeatIt
Style_council
EatItBeatIt

It’s hard for me to be on her side. For the most part, it seemed like she didn’t even want to be doing it.

jotei_elizabeth
Style_council
jotei_elizabeth

When she really feel in love w/ Nate, I notice that she’s trying to change and let him know the real her but during the scene where Vanessa try to expose Serena’s affair w/ the new teacher to that lady at the party and telling Juliet about her and Nate’s plan, Juliet’s true color shows making Nate & everyone see the worst of her. I don’t think she’s a bad person but she’s doing it for her brother because at the end of last week’s episode when she saw Nate having lunch w/ his mom while visiting his dad in prison, she just realize that she lost her true love. The only thing that she did on her own free will was putting Serena into the hospital for her own revenge and not for her brother’s sake.

ninnda
Style_council
ninnda

actually im not on julliet’s side, i hate her, but honestly her character make the plot interesting. well actually i dont really like serena, i love blair and i adore her style :)

Tsiriano
Style_council
Tsiriano

I just watched the new episode, and I can say I can see why Juliette did what she did..

I love Blair and Chuck, they’re so adorable together! Blair and Serena have great style, and I wish all the boys could wear clothes like Chuck and Nate!

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

new episode was really good. btw, ben is soooo cute!

shootingstar
Style_council
shootingstar

honestly, and IMHO, Blair is probably my least favorite character because of her scheming. i understand the whole friendship, protective of her friends and loyalty… but sometimes i feel that the vengeance is probably greater than just being protective.
i mean, i can probably say that the whole scheme can go head to head with Julet’s, except that she has the privaged resources and escape.

saw this weeks episode too… i am actually quite happy with the ending.
although, i am not too sure that it’ll be laid to rest as such…

merry christmas, gossip girl~

bigships
Style_council
bigships

Serena is annoying. CHAIR forevaaa ;)

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION