Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
VersatileMoTIF
Style_council
VersatileMoTIF

Am I the only one annoyed by people who talk about “fashion” all the time but have no style? Maybe I’m just easily annoyed. I think there’s a huge difference in the two. Style is a way of life whereas fashion isn’t nearly as complex a concept. Fashion is somewhat a part of style but style goes further than just “noticing fashion”.Ex. I notice fashion trends and celebrity fashion which I can talk about all day but LIVING style is embracing who I am and conveying that through my style of dress. I also understand that living style is a process.

Do you think there’s a difference between the two? If so, what is the difference?
(I welcome all opinions….even if they are totally opposite of mine)

posted over 2 years ago
KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

There are those who are fashionable and those who are stylish. Fashionable is about wearing what’s in trend where as stylish is more couture, more you.

Contrary to popular belief, fashionable and stylish aren’t synonyms, rather, they are antonyms.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

“Fashion is expensive; style is not.” – Nina Garcia

This quote succinctly defines the primary distinction between fashion and style. To be fashionable, all one must do is follow the trends; true style is timeless, effortless, and unique – and also quite rare.

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

to me, style is unique to you and impervious to changes in trends—fashion is fluctuation in seasonal trends which can then be adapted to your own ‘style’. everyone has their own sense of style, regardless of how mainstream or ‘fashionable’ people view it; the person who wears leggings and tennis shoes adheres to their own style just as the girl who wears jeffrey campbell litas and leopoard faux fur to the grocery store.

I don’t care a whole lot when people talk about fashion, but it annoys the heck out of me when people act like fashion nazis. like THIS IS SO OUT THIS SEASON, OMG EVERYONE HAS TO WEAR PASTELS FOR SPRING OTHERWISE YOU’RE UNFASHIONABLE!!! especially annoying when they get it wrong—I overheard someone say “she’s wearing orange? but yellow is the new it color!”

posted over 2 years ago

DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

Yves Saint Laurent, “Fashions fade, style is eternal.”

posted over 2 years ago

mercik
Style_council
mercik

Amen. Anyone can wear fashion but it takes style to express yourself and put it all together.

posted over 2 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

I think the way it works is – you consider your own style, and THEN look at the fashion optionss for that style. If your “style” is say business casual like I tend to be at work (though I tend to overdress for my job) then maybe see what is in fashion when needing a new top.
Fashions should not be neglected completely but one should not be a slave to them. Maybe like if you were wearing a really nice skirt and top, you would not wear your running shoes with it.

posted over 2 years ago

obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

I believe that fashion is wearing what is on trend at the moment but style is all about you. How you carry yourself, what you like to wear-being true to yourself.

posted over 2 years ago

RayofSunshine91
Style_council
RayofSunshine91

Fashion is the trends or the actual clothes…style is how you wear them…what you say with them.

posted about 2 years ago

OnceUponAnEpiphany
Style_council
OnceUponAnEp...

The difference is: Fashion can be bought – style is invaluable

posted almost 2 years ago

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

FASHION includes trends, fads, etc.

STYLE is basically a person’s fashion personality if that makes sense.

posted almost 2 years ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

I think fashion refers to trends and whatever is popular at a given time. Style is knowing how to incorporate trends (or not incorporate them) into your wardrobe/look in the best way for YOU. Someone could wear clothes, accessories, or makeup that is trendy, but if they aren’t pulling it off (that is, the trend doesn’t work for their body type, age, etc.) then they don’t really have style. and yes, I’d agree that style has a self-expression aspect to it.

posted over 1 year ago

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

Fashion is everything from the runway, which then trickles down the the high-street trends that change slightly every season and loads of people care way too much about. People can become fashionable by just buying the stuff they see advertised in magazines and in the windows of fashionable boutiques. It requires money, but not much self-reflection

Style is something very personal, a blend of favorite looks, cuts and accessories.A stylish person might only have 5 outfits in their wardrobe, but if they conform to their vision of themselves and the image they want to create, then they will always captivate others around them.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION