Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Abigail17
Style_council
Abigail17

How do you feel about vegan fashionistas wearing second-hand leather? Is it acceptable for girls who shun leather, wool, cashmere, etc, to wear leather products they find at Goodwill or in a thrift store?

posted over 1 year ago
FakeBlikeu
Style_council
FakeBlikeu

I think it’s ok

posted over 1 year ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I’m not vegan, but I only buy vintage fur. There’s no need for the new stuff. I also can’t afford things like new cashmere, so I only buy vintage. I think, if I were a vegan, I would be ok with vintage and second hand, since it doesn’t directly increase demand of animal products. I would prefer to put an animal product to good use then throw it out, since that kinda of disrespects the animal and the fur/wool/leather it was forced to sacrifice.

posted over 1 year ago

Abigail17
Style_council
Abigail17

I like that idea.
“animal product to good use then throw it out, since that kinda of disrespects the animal and the fur/wool/leather it was forced to sacrifice.”

I think it is better than just throwing it all out.

posted over 1 year ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

If you can’t stand the idea of ever wearing fur, I know Buffalo Exchange will take any vintage fur people bring in and donate it to a wildlife rehab center. They use it to make cozy nests for orphaned wild animals!

posted over 1 year ago

AksharTroublesome
Style_council
AksharTroubl...

but in order to get the wool out of the sheep, you dont have to kill the sheep o.o – one shaves the sheep’s wool [hair whatever you wanna call it]
or is there any other way of collecting wool and im not aware of it? and i thought cashmere is still a type of wool, and is collected in a similar way [aka by shaving the animal’s hair]

in other words, it should be ok to wear 2nd hand leather/fur as there is no new animal that died for it..but if the person REALLY dislikes the idea of sacrificing animals so we can eat, i dont think they should be wearing real leather/fur at all, including 2nd hand..they should sell it to those that are not vegan..

posted over 1 year ago

Umbrellastripes
Style_council
Umbrellastripes

I think that if it’s in a thrift store then it’s neutral territory, you’re still being economical and you aren’t supporting/giving money to an animal abusing company.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION