Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

Anyone else watch the first episode of Kings?

[Review: SPOILERS below]

Basically, Kings is one giant biblical reference. So, I had to catch up on my Bible stories because – really – the only one I was able to pick out immediately was ‘David and Goliath’….which is kind of a no-brainer.

I enjoyed the dialogue very much — nuanced, smart, although a little too much at times. Also, the cinematography/photography — fantastic. Even the opening scene is breathtaking.

But I feel that it’s all going a bit too fast — in the first hour alone, there’s a war between Shiloh and Gath, and then a peace treaty, and then war, and then peace again; David has a wealth of privileges bestowed upon him (more than I would expect, even for someone who saved the prince’s life); David and Michelle are thrown together; Jack is exposed as a closeted gay boy; Eli dies; Silas has a whole other secret family. I mean, Jesus, slow down a bit.

Kind of heavy-handed with all the biblical references that are shoved in. I wish they were a little more subtle on this front – so it wouldn’t smack so much of Bible-in-your-face – but since they’ve made it quite clear that Kings is based off of the story of King Saul and David, I suppose that that’s unavoidable, then.

I really hope David has some surprises in store for the audience, down the road. If he’s keeping up this whole ‘cocker spaniel’ bit, I’m going to reach through the TV screen and throttle him. C’mon! You’re a main character.

Jack (the king’s son, based off of Jonathan) seems disappointingly one-dimensional, which is really a shame because I think his character has the potential for so much more depth and surprise. The whole Michelle-is-an-angel/Jack-is-a-bastard foil is rather off-putting to me. (And whatever happened to the biblical version of David and Jonathan’s relationship? Guess it got scrapped….or is it that Michelle is actually the reinterpretation of Jonathan? Hm.)

And King Silas, of course, drives the whole show forward. Which is good! Because he’s multifaceted and just incredible as a whole. (Actually, everyone else on the show seems one-dimensional compared to him.) Very well-played by Ian McShane.

Some critics call the whole thing too pretentious and anal-retentive (hah, can’t please everyone), but I think it’s high time for something like that to make it to network TV. Yes, Kings is pretentious, but it’s original (for TV, that is) and therefore can afford to be pretentious. Shouldn’t stop someone from enjoying it.

There’s talk of canceling this already, because the ratings are pretty low. (Figures that a show like Kings would be under the radar, while something like Gossip Girl rages on like wildfire.) So, for those who have time, go watch Kings! At least help it make it through one season.

You can watch it on NBC or at Hulu (which is all sorts of kickass).

Addendum: it’d be really neat to see more movie/TV-show reviews in this forum.

posted over 5 years ago
woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

I am so going to watch this :)
Thank you for introducing a good one!

posted over 5 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

Yes! Haha. I’m hoping to spread the fanbase. :)

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION