Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MissMeggo
Style_council
MissMeggo

The Tyranny of Trends by Charty Durrant is a fascinating article that explores the link between changing fashion and a changing world. She discusses the evolution of the $200 dollar dresses of the early 1900s to the $20 “fastfashion” that can be found today at shops like H&M and Forever 21 and how that evolution is tied to “global connectivity”, global conditions, and the American way of life. She asserts that our dependence on and ravenous appetite for cheap but fashionable clothing has lead to a decrease in respect for pattern makers and seamstresses world wide. She closes her argument with a plea for fashionistas to become more concious of who they’re buying from, how what they’re buying could be affecting people, and finally to become happier with less.
I personally thinks she makes a very compelling argument.
Discuss.

posted over 2 years ago
meeshmuffet
Style_council
meeshmuffet

It was hard to get into this article, since the beginning reads like it’s written by someone whose historical knowledge goes back no more than 150 years, tops. Totally distracted me from the main argument. I kind of wish it had focused more on how globalization is the main game-changer, and less about the general inferiority of modern life to some amorphous fairytale golden age.

It’s too bad, because this is a great topic for discussion otherwise. I’m in favor of the shift away from “fast fashion” for many of the same reasons the article posits, and a few of my own. (It’d be nice to own clothing I didn’t have to repair after the first wearing, for one!)

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION