Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
carlaloo
Style_council
carlaloo

This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time now. There are classes here in the Philippines that give weekend sessions to learn photography but I can’t quite do it because (1) I don’t own a DSLR camera [a requirement for the class], (2) I don’t have the money to buy one and enroll in that class.

I know it’s pretty pathetic, but with this new job, I can now get that camera and enroll in that class. Question is: Is it still worth it? With the constant upgrading of technology, I keep fearing that the camera I’d purchase would be out of date before I knew it. As you may notice, I do not like bad investments.

That photography dream has been on for over two years now. I know I should do it, otherwise I’d spend the rest of my life regretting not doing it. But is the equipment still worth investing on even if it changes every 6 months?

Thanks, y’all. :)

posted about 5 years ago
andrwplsn
Style_council
andrwplsn

i say YAY! its the photographer that makes the photo not the camera, it is only a tool used to capture the image. my advice is to get a decent dslr body dont go over board, and use the money you save to buy more lenses, research the brand you want to use it will be an investment and if you ever want to upgrade the camera body its self you can if you get the same brand and use the same lenses, i shoot nikon but its all personal preference. i need to make the switch to digital from 35mm

posted about 5 years ago

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

YES. he’s right – it’s not the tools, it’s the ideas. You can easily buy a cheap disposable camera and take incredible pictures, too.

And yes, it’s also the lenses – those are what make the biggest differences in the end, so do buy a camera that you’ll be able to upgrade your lenses on.

Also: it’s worthwhile, if you’re serious, to take an analog class – you really do learn the principles much more in depth. Working with film is pretty rewarding and helps you really understand the principles behind photography.

But whatever you to, DO IT! you won’t regret it for a minute.

posted about 5 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

I agree, it’s the ideas and the photographer. And cameras really aren’t getting out of date like that. My father’s 35 mm (that I am never returning to him, ever) is more than 50 years old is still amazing. And if you get a digital with more than 6 mega pixels and manual option you will be able to use that forever. Sure, it will be nice to upgrade when you get the cash, but you don’t NEED to…unless you break digital cameras by dropping them off of rocks, like me.

posted about 5 years ago

JenniferShin
Style_council
JenniferShin

if you get a camera that meets the critera of the class then you have nothing to fear. also it wouldnt be bad to ask whoevers teaching the class what a good camera would be to have for several years. samsungs are used pretty often and arent always unpdating as fast as you migth fear. plus i believe they’re afforadable with great photo quality

posted about 5 years ago

chloeloveschloe
Style_council
chloeloveschloe

YAYY!!

posted about 5 years ago

zyxwvu
Style_council
zyxwvu

i say yay.
no matter what happens, even if technology changes like the next day, you’ll still have a good camera.
i don’t think it really matters if it’s the newest, as long as it’s a good quality camera. which it must be to be a requirement for the course.

posted about 5 years ago

flockingowls
Style_council
flockingowls

100% yes. I just got a canon rebel TSI and I absolutely adore it. Yes, they make new products all the time but I have no doubt in my mind that it will be very usable for years to come. Even though companies keep making different versions, the current versions will work great for you for a long time.
p.s i didn’t read all the above comments so if i’m just repeating everyone else, sorry!

posted over 1 year ago

lindajudour
Style_council
lindajudour

Hi everyone, please don’t bump old threads. This was created 3 years ago.

posted over 1 year ago

lindajudour
Style_council
lindajudour

Hi everyone, please don’t bump old threads. This was created 3 years ago.

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION