Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
mercik
Style_council
mercik

So lately I have been reading up on minimalism and the lifestyle that goes with it.
Of course it’s different things to different people but basically it means to downsize and only subsist on either what you need or use.
I prefer to downsize to what I use, not what I need.
I like having choices.
I have tons of clothes.
Most of them have been thrifted and I got VERY cheaply
But I recently got rid of whatever I wasnt using or would never use.
I was still left with an abundance of choices.
I dont want much materially in life.
I feel like the best things in life are free
the ocean
parks
laughs with friends…
Has anyone tried to minimize or downsize?
and how has this affected your fashion sense?
thoughts?

posted over 2 years ago
Terrafirma
Style_council
Terrafirma

Downsizing is wonderful……. Be careful though….. Ive done a giant clean sweep at least three times and i was sorry about a couple of items and sizes………… make sure you keep things that are in a 5 to 10 pound range of your weight, keep a few color and pattern options, Keep some for at least all the seasons……..a good way to do this is White, grey, beige, black, jean (coupla navy pieces) keep some of your layering “POP” pieces, keep some neutral shoes and purses, keep some funky jewelry, hats, and makeup colors….. and you should be TIGHT! Donate or sell things you havent worn at least ten times (honestly think about this) try recycling some more clothes where you can get cash for your finds! It makes you feel good! downsizing is great seasonally to do and it helps your peace of mind and spiritually! It always makes me happy!!!!!

posted over 2 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I think there’s a world’s difference between what you need and what you use—getting rid of what you don’t use is something people normally do, especially with clothes. but to boil it down to what we absolutely need, would be very difficult for me.

lol my mom grew up in a soviet country and she said that life was easier because you didn’t have so many choices—if you wanted a shirt, you didn’t have to choose between 10000 different styles and 10000 different brands and 10000 different colors.

you can have minimalism in fashion from an aesthetic perspective, but that’s different from living a minimalist lifestyle. to live a minimalist lifestyle would almost have to abandon fashion, since you don’t need much clothing to subsist.

posted over 2 years ago

Mrs_V
Style_council
Mrs_V

I agree with this that tightsandtea commented “to live a minimalist lifestyle would almost have to abandon fashion, since you don’t need much clothing to subsist.”

With that in mind I’ve tried to become more minimalistic, even though I get the urge to buy something I try to think it through, and remind myself that it’s a want not a need. I’ve also tried to put more of my clothes to use, I already downsized a bit a couple months ago, and feel like I could still do some more downsizing.

posted over 2 years ago

mercik
Style_council
mercik

Thanks..I appreciate the comments

posted over 2 years ago

minimalistpanda
Style_council
minimalistpanda

I’ve been trying to downsize, for the longest time. (I still feel like I have way too much stuff!)
I think that it’s possible to balance being fashionable, and having a minimalist wardrobe. (By fashionable I mean presentable, not jumping on the bandwagon every time there is a new trend.)

Uhmm. I don’t know how to really explain my take on minimalism. I think that it’s a really amazing concept, but it’s very difficult to transition the concept into reality. I’m trying my best, but it’s hard not to give into temptations. I always end up justifying new purchases with the mentality that the item is cheap or that I really need it.

Anyways: If you want some female perspectives on minimalism check out these blogs:
http://www.everydayminimalist.com/?p=7763
http://www.minimalstudent.com/my-minimalist-wardrobe/

posted over 2 years ago

happydai
New_user happydai is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When happydai reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
happydai

Really interesting work! I especially like the wine packaging. I was wondering am I somehow navigating the site incorrectly? It seems like only one (or sometimes 2) pieces are available to view when you click on a specific series.http://www.casquette-chaussures-pascher.com/

posted about 2 years ago

BeyondLustre
Forum_moderator
BeyondLustre

Yeah, I’m torn between the two as well. Sometimes I look at all the stuff in my room and get mad at myself for having so much. But then again, I love having choices when I dress and I do wear the vast majority of my clothes. To compensate, I’ve decided to make at least half my purchases at thrift stores this year, so that there is less guilt about useless consumption.

It’s also not just clothes that are the problem: we buy way too much food that we throw away later (or eat way too much of), we have all sorts of toys and gadgets that just take us away from what’s most important in life, and don’t even get me started about all the beauty products companies try to convince us we need!

posted about 2 years ago

minimalistgeneration
New_user minimalistgeneration is new to Chictopia!

Make Him Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote his photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on his photos

When minimalistgeneration reaches 200 Chic Points, he will be in the Style Council!
minimalistge...

Many people following the common thought they work in a wheel made by the system in wich need to work,to produce to consume. It sells their time for a waged work, many times neglecting our affections and passions, don’t realizing that the real wealth is a full life of passions in wich you manage your time,stay with our family, to do that that you have always dreamed, just changing our way to see the things get out by this wheel, I made a website with interesting articles on minimalist lifestyle www.minimalistgeneration.com

posted over 1 year ago

LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

I read this article on the NYTimes that reminded me about this topic. I felt inspired to live a more simple lifestyle and constantly downsize. It also taught me that a house/living space should support our lives and not the other way around.

posted over 1 year ago

sensenotcents
Style_council
sensenotcents

I went on a minimalist rampage upon going to college. I donated and downsized like there was no tomorrow. Then I realized it is essential to have a hairdryer in midstate winters.

posted over 1 year ago

Melipeach
Style_council
Melipeach

I used to keep everything. But now I have decided to live a simpler life by getting rid of stuff i haven’t touched in more than a year. Makes sense~

posted over 1 year ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION