Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
bigships
Style_council
bigships

My mom is Korean and she’s been pretty strict through the years. She’s loosened up a lot recently (I think it’s because she’s been living in the States for 30 years). Do you think that Korean moms get a bad rap for being strict and mean? Or is your Korean mom a firecracker, too?

posted about 4 years ago
Charmalade
Style_council
Charmalade

I actually think my mom is different in that she never pressured me to go to a big Ivy League school and just wanted me to do my best. Granted, my best should ideally be higher than a B, but I always appreciated that part of her. My DAD however, is another story… :)

posted about 4 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

hehe well I’ve gotta say the asian mom stereotype is pretty true for my mom but my dad doesn’t care at all xP My mom won’t yell at me or anything if I don’t do well but she gets pretty upset and disappointed. My aunt is pretty crazy, my cousin goes to tutoring and stuff all saturday and she took the SATs in 8th grade in some special program. The funny thing is, my aunt actually thought my cousin who was in 8th grade could get a better SAT score than me who was in 12th grade xD

posted about 4 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

my parents are definitely asian stereotypes haha. they’re a little more relaxed than they were 10 years ago but still pretty uptight

posted about 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Yeah. From my experience, and talking to my friends and other asians, asian parents in general are horribly strict. D:
My parents (Chinese but from Malaysia) are strict in some ways but I think they are pretty lenient in some ways, maybe because we’ve been living in Australia for 20 years. Like they used to let me go out to a lot of parties and things like that when I was a young teenager, they let my bf stay over nights and they haven’t really pressured me into doing a university course i’m not interested in. I think my mum is somewhat stereotypical though, she always used to compare me to family friend’s kids which I hated, and is constantly nagging me. I think my parents are secretly disappointed in me for not wanting to do Medicine or Law or something rolls eyes. Sooo irritating- last week I went on a uni cruise which had a horror dress up theme. I told my mum I was going to dress up like a zombie with fake blood and all that, and my mum fully cracked it and said that if I was going to dress like that I wouldn’t be allowed to go because apparently it would bring ‘bad luck upon me’ or something… and i’m 20 ffs!! Hate how superstitious she is.. I ended up going like a zombie anyway cos I didn’t get dressed at home :P

posted almost 4 years ago

Ewwitsnikki
Style_council
Ewwitsnikki

My boyfriend is Korean & his mom is one of the nicest mom’s I’ve ever met. She definitely does NOT fall under the typical Korean mom/ahjumma stereotype. Hehehe! Before meeting her, I thought she’d be against me since I’m not Korean, but she was super cool! Although she doesn’t speak that much English, I guess it helps a bit that I can understand a bit of Korean & she was super nice, even making us some Kimbap for our travel.

However, my parents..well, my dad is a typical-conservative Asian dad. But my mom is totally liberal. Idk, I guess it depends on the person/ parent :)

amoebaeinwedges
Style_council
amoebaeinwedges

i think all Asian mums are fire crackers hahhaha super conservative!

REPLY TO DISCUSSION